Diven, Doven... and all that rot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We've already eatablished its Neoprene. NOT Neopreme.

Get a grip, people. Its dived.

Not diven. Not doven. Dived.

Thank you.

Ken

Usage Note: Either dove or dived is acceptable as the past tense of dive. Usage preferences show regional distribution, although both forms are heard throughout the United States. According to the Dictionary of American Regional English, in the North, dove is more prevalent; in the South Midland, dived. Dived is actually the earlier form, and the emergence of dove may appear anomalous in light of the general tendencies of change in English verb forms. Old English had two classes of verbs: strong verbs, whose past tense was indicated by a change in their vowel (a process that survives in such present-day English verbs as drive/drove or fling/flung); and weak verbs, whose past was formed with a suffix related to -ed in Modern English (as in present-day English live/lived and move/moved). Since the Old English period, many verbs have changed from the strong pattern to the weak one; for example, the past tense of step, formerly stop, became stepped. Over the years, in fact, the weak pattern has become so prevalent that we use the term regular to refer to verbs that form their past tense by suffixation of -ed. However, there have occasionally been changes in the other direction: the past tense of wear, now wore, was once werede, and that of spit, now spat, was once spitede. The development of dove is an additional example of the small group of verbs that have swum against the historical tide.

Now somebody tell me what THEY know! :eyebrow:

freediver:
The development of dove is an additional example of the small group of verbs that have swum against the historical tide.

Now somebody tell me what THEY know! :eyebrow:

Very interesting. We have such learned people on this board. Now did you mean swum or swam? :crafty:

When I was a kid, I had a pet...uh, dived.

Wait. That doesn't sound quite right. :hm:

Scubadoguk, your pronunciation is the correct "European", while the other is the correct "American".

Dived or dove. Both are correct. So don't give me s*** for saying dove, kay

mweitz:
Scubadoguk, your pronunciation is the correct "European", while the other is the correct "American".

Dived or dove. Both are correct. So don't give me s*** for saying dove, kay
NO we invented the English language you lot just screwed it up :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom