Diven, Doven... and all that rot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say dived or dove, or to elimiate confusion 'i went diving' and yes it is pronounced
Al-u-min-i-um!! i have this quarrel with my american fiance often! you yanks changed the pronunciation AND spelling! and while we're at it, its jam not jelly, jelly not jello (VERY confusing from sesame street when i was a kid! jelly is gross with peanut butter!), mobile phone not cell phone, boot not trunk, bonnet not hood, basil is pronounced ba-zil, not bay-zil, oregano is o-re-gah-no, not o-rey-gano, herbs is H-erbs, not Erbs etc etc..lets face it, people say things differently, and always will!! :)

Ah no The Brits, Kiwis, Canadians, Aussies, South Africans have a similar language only the Yanks ******* it up.

repeat after me:

OWA TAGU SIAM

Now say it again, faster

dbulmer:
Ah no The Brits, Kiwis, Canadians, Aussies, South Africans have a similar language only the Yanks ******* it up.
Actually, the Canadians' english is quite similar to the "Yanks." As far as the rest, what else can you expect from people who drive on the wrong side of the road? :D

Scubaguy62:
Actually, the Canadians' english is quite similar to the "Yanks." As far as the rest, what else can you expect from people who drive on the wrong side of the road? :D
ummm ouch from a state whos other claim is a hanging chad?

freediver:
Old English had two classes of verbs: strong verbs, whose past tense was indicated by a change in their vowel (a process that survives in such present-day English verbs as drive/drove or fling/flung); and weak verbs, whose past was formed with a suffix related to -ed in Modern English (as in present-day English live/lived and move/moved). Since the Old English period, many verbs have changed from the strong pattern to the weak one; for example, the past tense of step, formerly stop, became stepped. Over the years, in fact, the weak pattern has become so prevalent that we use the term regular to refer to verbs that form their past tense by suffixation of -ed. However, there have occasionally been changes in the other direction: the past tense of wear, now wore, was once werede, and that of spit, now spat, was once spitede.
So is the incredibly weak form of the suffix -ized? Although that can't be used with dive (it would be divized, just doesnt sound right), but that little suffix is added onto most other verbs in the common American English. :wink:

Green_Manelishi:
To many have diven cold water in there 7mil (not MM) neopreme wetsuits. Consequently they are half frozen and their brains have been harmed.
I think i stated this in the previous Neopreme thread, but mil is also a shortened version of millimetre (millimeter if you cant read the real version :wink: ), not just confined to 1/1000". MM is again Megametre (Megameter) which is 10^6m if i recall correctly - an extremely thick wetsuit (~625 miles thick) and you certainly would not get cold in the great lakes wearing it, a 7mm might do though as a happy compromise! :wink:

glbirch:
so if I own more than one house, I possess a number of hice?
If you have "blue blood" (old money nobility) then you might pronounce house as "hice", of course these types often own multiple houses, boroughs and estates, so they are likely to own a bit of real estate - or at least that is the way it used to be! :wink:

Scubaguy62:
Actually, the Canadians' english is quite similar to the "Yanks."

Actually they spell like the Brits (humour, colour, centre) and call it "zed" instead of "zee" but they sound kinda like people from Minnesota :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom