Divemaster Responsibilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DM is GUIDE ONLY, not there for YOUR SAFETY

I like that, and expect that it would make "right under the boat" a popular place for a lot of divers.

Terry

A lot of people forget what it was like when they were new to diving, I presume:confused:

PiFi,

In your opinion; If you had to choose only one course of action, is it better to try and rectify the problem by;

1. Improving the awareness (own responsibility/independence)of the individual (novice) diver during training? or
2. Having boats post signs related to Safety?

Regards
Richard

[
PiFi,

In your opinion; If you had to choose only one course of action, is it better to try and rectify the problem by;

1. Improving the awareness of the individual (novice) diver during training? or

Regards
Richard

The question is really a matter of which one of those is more likely to occur. That is the one that should begin the process IMO. AND, my money is on #2 becoming a feasible option LONG before the agencies change their standards. And, since this continues to happen, it is obvious that not all instructors around the world are quite as thorough as many on here. That rules out the instructor changing as well. Back to my selection....#2.

:rofl3: Wow, right under the boat would be a crowded spot, huh? :D As I said before, that sign posted so everyone could see it at the shop and on the boat would clear up BS real fast. Can't say you didn't know then. DG/DM would not be able to say and do one thing pre dive and then another apres dive.

I like that, and expect that it would make "right under the boat" a popular place for a lot of divers.

Terry

[/SIZE]

PiFi,

1. Improving the awareness (own responsibility/independence)of the individual (novice) diver during training? or

Improving training and awareness is a lost cause for the 800 pound gorilla. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised in the least, if PADI went to 100% on-line training, with a quick single checkout dive at the resort destination.

I'd go with big red and white signs that say "Regardless of the statements or implied duties of any crew or employees, you are responsible for your own actions and their consequences. The DM will not 'keep you safe'. You may personally die or be severely injured on this dive."

Terry

Improving training and awareness is a lost cause for the 800 pound gorilla. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised in the least, if PADI went to 100% on-line training, with a quick single checkout dive at the resort destination.

I'd go with big red and white signs that say "Regardless of the statements or implied duties of any crew or employees, you are responsible for your own actions and their consequences. The DM will not 'keep you safe'. You may personally die or be severely injured on this dive."

Terry

However, in fairness, the 800 pound Gorilla is not gonna read signs either. If the mission was to provide legal immunity, I suppose the signs would do a better job... if that was the mission.

Best Regards
Richard

As I said before, that sign posted so everyone could see it at the shop and on the boat would clear up BS real fast. Can't say you didn't know then. DG/DM would not be able to say and do one thing pre dive and then another apres dive.

All that sign would do is release the shop or DM from whatever bit of legal responsibility they had. A newb, wide-eyed diver is going to take the time to read that no matter where it's posted? Dive shops are covered in posters, advertisements, looping videos, new gear, pictures, all of which is MUCH sexier than a disclaimer.

Who has even read the whole release they sign before taking a class or going on a dive (if you have do sign one there)? You could put this information in a bigger and bold font on the release and I'd be willing to bet that you'd still get far less than 50% actual exposure. Hell, you even said yourself (quoted below) that new divers are on sensory overload so what makes you think they'd pay attention to this? Or even understand what it means?!?

Everything is rosy, safe and good natured, while you are getting certified. Yeah, they mentioned things in class, a lot of things, but does each and every bit sink in, where that fraction of what you learned, or is it just heard?, in class is formost in your mind. Of course not! Remember back. You are a brand new diver. You are getting your gear ready, is my air on?, where is my inflator hose, stay calm, follow the DM, you are very nervous so you focuse on the things you need to. You think, the DM, the Dive Op will not take me to a place that is above my skill level. hell, you're not even sure WHAT your skill level is. The DM tells jokes, does his Calypso tip dance and says, the pool is open. Splash and a whole new world has opened. You are in senseory overload.

You give yourself away by referring to me with that name:eyebrow:

Both. A sign like that would clear up any confusion, FAST, let the dive op & DM off the liability hook and and REMIND DIVER WHAT THEY :HEARD: IN CLASS. It might lower the DM tips so I doubt they would be in favor of it. :eyebrow:They are doing quite well with the current misleading impression:shakehead:

Regards
Richard[/QUOTE]

However, in fairness, the 800 pound Gorilla is not gonna read signs either. If the mission was to provide legal immunity, I suppose the signs would do a better job... if that was the mission.

Best Regards
Richard

PADI won't care about the signs. In fact, aside form scaring the passengers, they would help provide protection from lawsuits.

What the signs would do is make sure that the passengers know that nobody on the boat is actually responsible for them.

Terry

byteme, please read this post? Hope it helps.

PADI won't care about the signs. In fact, aside form scaring the passengers, they would help provide protection from lawsuits.

What the signs would do is make sure that the passengers know that nobody on the boat is actually responsible for them

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom