Divemaster Responsibilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately I've been forced to stay at a shallower depth because the DM said so and of a new diver on boat. I complained at dive shop and got on another boat but while on the boat did what DM asked, that was reasonable, given the way it was.

Pilot Fish

If you were on a trip and wanted to do a certain dive, would you stay 40' shallower during that dive because the DM had someone who was uncomfortable diving deeper? Just to "keep the group together?"

Unfortunately I've been forced to stay at a shallower depth because the DM said so and of a new diver on boat. I complained at dive shop and got on another boat but while on the boat did what DM asked, that was reasonable, given the way it was.

So you're saying that you've never done a dive with a DM that had more than one group?

No, that's a different question:wink: Yes, I have, they used two DM's.That might have helped in this situation? My buddy and I, asked the DM if we could dive on our own, pre dive and he said, you guys are experienced so OK. At NO time when I was a new diver with less than 50 dives did I swim off on my own, or would the DM let me. I've even had my ass chewed when I was a brand new diver for lagging too far behind the group, that was during that first dive, on the dive itself.

So it's not ok for the DM to let two divers stay shallower on their own, even when one of those divers was supposed to be an experienced diver while he stayed with the deeper group? :confused:

At what level of "experience" do you have to be at for it to be decided that you can be on your own without the DM being responsible for you?

Things happen that DO NOT distinguish between what level a diver is. If you are a buddy, you are a buddy. END OF STORY. If you are NOT a buddy, then you are diving solo and on your own.

I agree, the quote I posted, insuated that the diver abandoned the DM.

At what level of "experience" do you have to be at for it to be decided that you can be on your own without the DM being responsible for you?

And don't get my intent wrong with this post. I'm not saying that the DM or Dive Op should be absolved of any blame or responsibility, especially in this instance. It just seems that as more facts come to light, there isn't the blatant negligence that seemed to have been implied initially.

While it had nothing to do with the accident, can you tell me that leaving a boat unattended is not blatant negligence? This clearly demonstrates the mind set of this dive op. I could name 10 different scenarios that could easily go wrong with that.

Don't know about the Caymans, but in NY State on the St. Lawrence river or Ontario, on return to the boat you would find either the Coast Guard or Border Patrol waiting for you.

Terry

3) One thing that troubles me is the number of participants in this thread who believe the DM is there for safety reasons. Are there instructors out there that are promoting this idea or is it an assumption that isn't being corrected?

If you tell divers that they're diving with a "DiveMaster", that states outright that they are diving with a professional who is in control of the dive and is responsible for their safety.

The dictionary definition is:
dive⋅mas⋅ter /ˈdaɪvˌmëÔ
thinsp.png
tər, -ˌmɑ
thinsp.png
stər/ Noun a professional qualified to oversee scuba diving operations, as in salvage work or at a resort, and responsible for procedures and safety, monitoring the whereabouts of divers underwater or at the surface, and making rescues when necessary.
Unfortunately, this is not what is provided here or at any other tropical location I've been to.

What needs to be "corrected" is that dive ops need to either stop sending DMs down and make everybody aware thet they're responsible for their own safety (this would be my preference), or send down enough well-trained staff to actually perform the services they say they're providing.

Selecting an appropriate dive site would also help a lot, although since we don't really know where the "wall" dive was or what the topography was like, it may turn out to have been a perfectly appropriate dive site.

Terry

I noticed in the definition there is nothing about a dive master assisting with training during instruction. Did you clip the definition or is that the complete listing? Next - is this the definition that the agencies are using? I'm trying to understand where divers are getting this type of thinking. If we as instructors should be promoting reliance on the dive master then I think we need to see that in writing. If on the other hand we shouldn't be promoting it then that too has to be clear. Since there is a serious difference in opinions on this then we should

That was from "dictionary.reference.com" and is the complete listing.

Most certainly it isn't PADI's definition, however I like to stick with the commonly used definitions, since PADI's tend to be a little warped (see "mastery").

Terry

But as Terry has said eloquently a number of times, the DM service either needs to improve to be what it claims to be, or be clear about what it's not, so no-one's under any false illusions.

Thx,
J

Please - can someone show me where this expected level of service is being stated or implied. Clearly some people are thinking "you are diving with a Dive Master" is translating into, "you are diving with someone who will watch your every move underwater and check on your pressure frequently". To borrow a term that was used earlier in this thread - how are divers getting the idea that they are scuba tourists instead of actual divers. I'm not trying to be stubborn on this but somewhere there is a communication issue that is leading to assumptions being made on what is expected of dive masters.

Please - can someone show me where this expected level of service is being stated or implied. Clearly some people are thinking "you are diving with a Dive Master" is translating into, "you are diving with someone who will watch your every move underwater and check on your pressure frequently". To borrow a term that was used earlier in this thread - how are divers getting the idea that they are scuba tourists instead of actual divers. I'm not trying to be stubborn on this but somewhere there is a communication issue that is leading to assumptions being made on what is expected of dive masters.

because they are allowed to finish a course that basically tells them dont worry someone will be able to take care of you, the DM will be there to help you no matter what. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom