Divemaster Responsibilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to take issue with this - but who issues said cards? Not the diver.

Of course not.
What a stupid statement. How can a diver issue a certification card to themselves? My certification agency doesn't allow it and I am sure any reputable agency wouldn't.

Exactly what was your point?

I can only speak for PADI in as much as .

A certification card is earn't
you work towards it and show mastery and competence.

Exactly what are you trying to ask with your post?

To illustrate my point a little.

I'm a pretty crap diver but at least I know it.

A friend with the same certifcation level as me (AOW) went diving with me last year and nearly hurt himself. How we was OW certified never mind AOW is beyond my comprehension. At 33 metres he still hadn't worked out to put gas in his BC.

Now, he was an idiot, and also lied to me about his number of dives. But he clearly had no idea how to perfrom the most basic skills.

Someone certified him. Under the auspices of PADI. That should never have happened. Trust me, it happens to people like him every day. It's just pure luck people don't croke it more often.

The conveyor belt approach to training - which is huge - breeds unsafe divers.

Good training breeds the opposite, but my experience, which has been mostly 'vacation' diving has shown the standards to be so appalling as to be breath taking. And like I say, I'm **** myself ...

I'm pretty sure that PADI isn't the only agency that issues OW cards.

I know that PADI has lead the charge in shortening SCUBA classes in any way possible. I know that this thread is about a dead guy who is a victim of dumbed-down accelerated certifications and an intentionally misleading marketing campaign. Is there something important I'm missing?

PADI is no mystery. Why should I have to travel to see it?

Terry

Terry
OW cards, who else certifies them?
PADI leading the charge in shortening SCUBA Classes, where did you hear this and where is the evidence.... Dont for one minute belive that by saying it is so it will become that wat.

I can only speak for PADI in as much as .

A certification card is earn't
you work towards it and show mastery and competence.

Exactly what are you trying to ask with your post?
masŽ·terŽ·y (m
abreve.gif
s
prime.gif
t
schwa.gif
-r
emacr.gif
)n. pl. masŽ·terŽ·ies 1. Possession of consummate skill.
2. The status of master or ruler; control: mastery of the seas.
3. Full command of a subject of study: Her mastery of economic theory impressed the professors.

and

comŽ·peŽ·tence (k
obreve.gif
m
prime.gif
p
ibreve.gif
-t
schwa.gif
ns)n.1. a. The state or quality of being adequately or well qualified; ability. See Synonyms at ability.
b. A specific range of skill, knowledge, or ability.

2. Law The quality or condition of being legally qualified to perform an act.
3. Sufficient means for a comfortable existence.
4. Microbiology The ability of bacteria to be genetically transformable.
5. Medicine The ability to respond immunologically to bacteria, viruses, or other antigenic agents.
6. Linguistics The knowledge that enables one to produce and comprehend a language.

Wow ... all that in 20 hours or less!

To illustrate my point a little.

I'm a pretty crap diver but at least I know it.

A friend with the same certifcation level as me (AOW) went diving with me last year and nearly hurt himself. How we was OW certified never mind AOW is beyond my comprehension. At 33 metres he still hadn't worked out to put gas in his BC.

Now, he was an idiot, and also lied to me about his number of dives. But he clearly had no idea how to perfrom the most basic skills.

Someone certified him. Under the auspices of PADI. That should never have happened. Trust me, it happens to people like him every day. It's just pure luck people don't croke it more often.

The conveyor belt approach to training - which is huge - breeds unsafe divers.

Good training breeds the opposite, but my experience, which has been mostly 'vacation' diving has shown the standards to be so appalling as to be breath taking. And like I say, I'm **** myself ...

I take it your certification isn't with PADI as you seem to think so little of them?
if it is, are you saying your training wasn't adiquate for the diving you do?
These are important issues ad best spelt out immediately so they can be addressesd

Terry
OW cards, who else certifies them?
PADI leading the charge in shortening SCUBA Classes, where did you hear this and where is the evidence.... Dont for one minute belive that by saying it is so it will become that wat.

Gary,
Dont take this the wrong way at all - but do you really think that PADI hasn't lowered the standards? I may be wrong but thus far my experience of what they equip you with
for OW cert is pretty crap. The actual course content is really not bad - but the length of time spent on it doesn't cut the mustard: no-one's gonna take all that in in 2-4 days. Or do you see it differently - I'm pretty new to all this so always willing to take other people's views on board if I can see where they're coming from,

Cheers,
J

masŽ·terŽ·y (m
abreve.gif
s
prime.gif
t
schwa.gif
-r
emacr.gif
)n. pl. masŽ·terŽ·ies 1. Possession of consummate skill.
2. The status of master or ruler; control: mastery of the seas.
3. Full command of a subject of study: Her mastery of economic theory impressed the professors.

and

comŽ·peŽ·tence (k
obreve.gif
m
prime.gif
p
ibreve.gif
-t
schwa.gif
ns)n.1. a. The state or quality of being adequately or well qualified; ability. See Synonyms at ability.
b. A specific range of skill, knowledge, or ability.

2. Law The quality or condition of being legally qualified to perform an act.
3. Sufficient means for a comfortable existence.
4. Microbiology The ability of bacteria to be genetically transformable.
5. Medicine The ability to respond immunologically to bacteria, viruses, or other antigenic agents.
6. Linguistics The knowledge that enables one to produce and comprehend a language.

Wow ... all that in 20 hours or less!

Actuallu Mastery is spelt ut in black and white with regards to to diving and the skills therein. (within PADI anyway)
You really need to look at all the facts.

I am more than willing to talk about any aspect of diving, the regulations that surround it and the agencies but only using facts.

I take it your certification isn't with PADI as you seem to think so little of them?
if it is, are you saying your training wasn't adiquate for the diving you do?
These are important issues ad best spelt out immediately so they can be addressesd

Well, this isn't about me really, although I do like a bit of attention - my wife's an air hostess so too much time alone :)

Yes, I take issue with PADI - and all my formal instruction has been through PADI. I *might* do their rescue course. The reason I might not is not to do with the course content or quality of the course but more a protest against the OW course. I've no knowledge of other agencies so my issue is with PADI alone. I feel that I was very incompletely equipped to be a diver after my OW course. The time frame is just too short. It's that simple really.

If all goes welll, as it mostly does, then PADI OW training suffices. If it doesn't well, then as the OP has shown, it can go very badly indeed.

Maybe we're all fighting the same cause here - better training.

But how are we going to achieve it????

Gary,
Dont take this the wrong way at all - but do you really think that PADI hasn't lowered the standards? I may be wrong but thus far my experience of what they equip you with
for OW cert is pretty crap. The actual course content is really not bad - but the length of time spent on it doesn't cut the mustard: no-one's gonna take all that in in 2-4 days. Or do you see it differently - I'm pretty new to all this so always willing to take other people's views on board if I can see where they're coming from,

Cheers,
J

Actually, No.
PADI haven't lowered their standards. they have maintained and improved them and this is showm with other agencies following and using theose standards.. It would be stupid and irresponsible for a leading agency to drop standards. I can go back as far as 1966 when PADI started and nothing but improvement has occured

Now: of course times have changed; Blowing up Coral Reefs with Dynamite so as to put the ConShelf in place, and using a hammer to get to certain corals is now deemed irresponsible so too there are certain things within the diving industry that needed changing. Lets be careful here and not put the blame on change to the very organisation that pushed or was at the forferont of it

I think we crossed posts and maybe read back mine. Like I said - I'm relatively new to this activity so my mind is not set one way or another.

But my basic point remains, that it is not possible to become proficient in 2-4/5 days for nearly everyone. So the methodology which AFAIK PADI has pushed doesn't work in terms of reliably turning out good divers. For myself, I've learned 1000 more things from this board than I have from 'training'.

Maybe the training I've experienced is different from yours (being mostly on vacation) but it all still bears the same name.

Back
Top Bottom