Divemaster Responsibilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryLee: Where would you place your new O/W divers on this scale?
Bless, I won't even look at your scale:

My new Open Water students get a one to one debrief at the end of the course they don't pass if they haven't shown "Mastery" in each of the skills they have demonstrated. on top of which I let them know that I would be happy to buddy up with them on a dive anytime.

How do you rate the students you pass?

Competent or Proficient

Was your training not of the standard to make sure you knew what to do, how not to be pressured and how to be an individual.. I can of course quote from memory many lovely passages that you were told if you are a PADI Instructor. I can quote from "the Law and The Diving Professsional" that you were told to read. so perhaps your niggles are based on your own training? Did you personally feel that the training you were given wasn't enough?

This would all be fascinating if I was certified by PADI.

Terry

This would all be fascinating if I was certified by PADI.

Terry

So, you actually don't know about the agencies and qualifiications you are talking about. You are making asumptions.

Funny, I did the same with your profile
I quote:
Certification History
Pretty much everything from OW to DiveCon & Adv. Nitrox
I got it wrong, I thought OW,was Open Water isn't that a PADI Cert?)
I don't want to seem pedantic but you really should know more about the industry you are talking about. Now for me I am happy to take anyone from any agency in any country, as long as the come to the UK (I cant afford it)nad show them the whole PADI System and that includes meeting all of the UK PADI International Limited Team.

If the diver can't complete a dive on their own, under their own responsibility, they shouldn't be issued an OW card... End of discussion.....

Sorry to take issue with this - but who issues said cards? Not the diver.

AGAIN,
how do you rate the students you pass?

Competent: The diver now has a good working, as well as some background, knowledge of diving and as a result can deal with knowledge in context. Recognition of relevance is now present. Actions are seen, at least partly, in terms of longer-term goals. The diver is able to cope with simple multiple, simultaneous, competing inputs. The diver actions are (at least partially) performed in terms of longer-term goals. The diver performs best with standardized and routine procedures, but is able to achieve most tasks using own judgment and can engage in conscious and deliberate planning. Skills are fit for the purpose intended, though may lack refinement.

Proficient: The diver posses a depth of understanding of the disciplines that make up diving as well and those specific to diving so that the diver can make a holistic assessment in context rather than just an analytic one. The diver can deal with complex situations holistically, and decision-making is more confident. The diver routinely performs to a fully acceptable standard, and sees what is most important in a situation. Deviations from a normal pattern are quickly perceived. Decision-making is less labored. Maxims are used for guidance, but there is understanding that conclusions will (and should) vary according to the situation. The diver sees the overall 'picture' and how individual actions fit within it. The diver is able to take full responsibility for own work (and that of others where applicable).

Those are the the skill level descriptions. As to how we decide if the description is met: turn each sentence into a question and ask each staff members who has worked with the diver to rate them on a 1 to 5 scale. Students are also rated 1 to 5 on each specific activity during each of 24 pool sessions and 16 open water dives.

For example:

1. Does the student posses a good working and background, knowledge of diving?
  2. Can the student deal with divin knowledge in context?
  3. Is there recognition of relevance?
  4. Are actions seen in terms of longer-term goals.
  5. Is the student able to cope with simple multiple, simultaneous, competing inputs?
  6. Are the student's actions performed in terms of longer-term goals.
  7. Can the student perform well with standardized and routine procedures?
  8. Can the student achieve most tasks using his or her own judgment?
  9. Can the student engage in conscious and deliberate planning?
  10. Are the student's skills fit for the purpose intended?

So, you actually don't know about the agencies and qualifiications you are talking about. You are making asumptions.

Funny, I did the same with your profile
I quote:
Certification History
Pretty much everything from OW to DiveCon & Adv. Nitrox
I got it wrong, I thought OW,was Open Water isn't that a PADI Cert?)

I'm pretty sure that PADI isn't the only agency that issues OW cards.

I don't want to seem pedantic but you really should know more about the industry you are talking about.
I know that PADI has lead the charge in shortening SCUBA classes in any way possible. I know that this thread is about a dead guy who is a victim of dumbed-down accelerated certifications and an intentionally misleading marketing campaign. Is there something important I'm missing?

Now for me I am happy to take anyone from any agency in any country, as long as the come to the UK (I cant afford it)nad show them the whole PADI System and that includes meeting all of the UK PADI International Limited Team.
PADI is no mystery. Why should I have to travel to see it?

Terry

Sorry to take issue with this - but who issues said cards? Not the diver.

I can only speak for PADI in as much as .

A certification card is earn't
you work towards it and show mastery and competence.

Exactly what are you trying to ask with your post?

To call a spade a spade. PADI has a vested interest in making certification standards as low as possible. They and their agents issue the cards. To take issue with a divers abilities post qualification is to take issue with the certifying agencies, not the student. No?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom