Divemaster recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is Bang On

In the meantime add Nitrox to your experience and Rescue as well.
Oh yes, I mentioned nitrox, but I forgot to mention rescue (together with first aid), which is the only other recreational course I value (together, maybe, with the dry suit speciality for people who need it). I would still go for foundational tec training before to ensure that no bad habits are learnt.

@Scraps is that something you’d say is dependent of the financial situation of the person.

Surely someone who could spend one year travelling and diving paying from his own pocket would as well acquire a lot of experience.
Taking dive courses at any level is almost never a prudent financial decision.

I was speaking about the situation of the OP, who has already decided he wants to be a DM for personal and social reasons.

He did not ask for advice on the best, fastest, or most cost effective way of improving his diving skills.

He asked help finding a DM program amenable to his personal preferences.

Several members took it upon themselves to tell him his plan would make him a crap DM, an outcome I don’t believe is inevitable.

I’ve seen this sentiment expressed often on this site, and it’s true at a strictly literal level.

However, for divers, especially those who barely meet the minimum number of dives to take the DM course, the course presents an outstanding opportunity to improve skills for those who seize it.

By helping with classes, observing different instructors, seeing students struggle to learn, trying to set a good example, and having the opportunity to focus on the basics, divers can significantly improve their diving skills even though that’s not the express goal of the program.

Which brings up the common complaint that agencies certify DM’s with too few dives. A diver with less than a zillion dives who seizes this opportunity to improve can emerge from DM program with better skills than many divers who have more dives and have the competence to do the job. Don’t let the naysayers deter you.
I don't disagree with what you are saying at all but my point is why go down that path if you are not going to DM or move on to instructor. I think you could spend the money and effort elsewhere that better suits the core skills path. Have my skills improved being a DM yes my skills working with students but my core dive skills improved outside of DM work because I could focus on being a student.

This is Bang On

@divedreaming89

You are in Thailand now so get some experience in what is probably the best part of the world for warm water diving.

Hit Malaysia next, get over to Sipadan, then head over to the Philippines and then Indonesia (check the regional forums for advice on these countries).

Once you've got 100+ dives under your weightbelt review your situation and check out what you want to do next.

In the meantime add Nitrox to your experience and Rescue as well.

Don't be scared to look at other agencies for further training than you one you started with too, expand your knowledge and experience before doing the DM course.

This ^^^^^^ PLUS:

1. Dive your brains out in different locations with different conditions.

2. Do advanced, Nitrox, deep, navigation, wreck, rescue, First Aid/O2, Intro to Tech., Marine life id

3. Take up an activity u/w such as u/w photography or video and excel at it.

4. Dive some more.

5. Dive even more.

6. More diving.

7. Start to think about if you should do dive leadership training and ask yourself, why, how and what for while remembering that dive leadership training doesn't train to dive nor improve your diving skills. Dive leadership training is just that, becoming a dive leader it is NOT about becoming a better diver. You should be an excellent well rounded and competent diver before you do any leadership training.

As a NAUI Instructor myself, I have a special course before leadership courses that the leadership course candidate must take for me to evaluate their diving skills and knowledge before I accept them into any leadership course. If they don't have the diving skills and knowledge with experience, they won't be accepted into a leadership course. I don't teach how to dive or how to be a better diver in a leadership course, I teach and train how to become a dive leader and how to be a good/better dive leader in a leadership course.

8. After you do your thinking, dive more.

Thanks guys! even though I specified I'd only like to get some pointers to different locations, most of the feedback I've gotten from you seems like such good advice, and has made me re-think a bit. I'll probably hold off jumping into a DM for some time at least, and take a sub-scenic route through SE asia first. When I come to C/S America, I'll take it from there! :) I'm all ears to more advice regarding locations on my travels

I'm all ears to more advice regarding locations on my travels
Hit the east coast of Malaysia before it closes for the north east monsoon starts at the end of September.

Have a look at Perhentian, Redang, Tengol and Tioman, then head over to Sabah for Sipadan.

Thanks guys! even though I specified I'd only like to get some pointers to different locations, most of the feedback I've gotten from you seems like such good advice, and has made me re-think a bit. I'll probably hold off jumping into a DM for some time at least, and take a sub-scenic route through SE asia first. When I come to C/S America, I'll take it from there! :) I'm all ears to more advice regarding locations on my travels
Hi! I'm in a similar place to what you described in your original post, and was curious where you landed on everything? Did you do your DM in the end?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom