Divemaster recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having read all of the replies, I would agree to just travel and go diving if you have no intention of becoming a dive master permanently, the person I did my OW/AOW had 2000 dives and was excellent, personally, I would not take on the responsibility of DM without having logged hundreds, if not a thousand dives. I dove the Cenotes with a private guide who was a local and had 2000 dives at 15, he was 32 when I dove with him, so he probably had over 10,000 dives, I will return to dive with him in December.
The number of dives is just an indicator; some people with two/three hundred dives are way better than some with several thousand.

However... experience needs time to be built, and I agree that at least a couple of hundreds dives are needed

Thanks for all the replies people. Based on the answers other members got from their similar requests, I knew this would be a topic for discussion, although I really dont get why..
I have respect for you dive professionals and that you take pride in your work. But is it necessary to put this divemaster internship on such a pedestal? Becoming a DM is a 2-3 month long program. If I have the time and finances to just go to some paradise to do it, is it really so bad to want to do this "for fun"?

I'm currently solo-travelling, which is great and all, but a little lonely at times.
I'm really looking for to get into a community with likeminded people, make new friends for life, becoming a better diver ( and spanish-speaker) at the same time. Hope this can contribute for even more fruitful replies.

If you can think of other alternatives to a DM program, but which checks the similar kind of boxes I'm looking for, I'm all ears! :)
This question comes up quite often and the responses are usually the same because of "I'm not going to work as a DM but want to be a better diver". The program does not make your core skills any better as the current program is not designed for that. The current program is set up to teach you how to work with classes/lead dives and sell product. Go DM if you want to become an instructor or guide dives in a tropical place but if you want to better your core skills go take a buoyancy class or find a good mentor/instructor and dive with them. There are plenty of places and several have been mentioned that fit for "Spanish speaking and good diving" spend the money and go there and dive. I've been an active DM for 15+ years and my skills got better by diving not by working as a DM.

This question comes up quite often and the responses are usually the same because of "I'm not going to work as a DM but want to be a better diver". The program does not make your core skills any better as the current program is not designed for that.

I’ve seen this sentiment expressed often on this site, and it’s true at a strictly literal level.

However, for divers, especially those who barely meet the minimum number of dives to take the DM course, the course presents an outstanding opportunity to improve skills for those who seize it.

By helping with classes, observing different instructors, seeing students struggle to learn, trying to set a good example, and having the opportunity to focus on the basics, divers can significantly improve their diving skills even though that’s not the express goal of the program.

Which brings up the common complaint that agencies certify DM’s with too few dives. A diver with less than a zillion dives who seizes this opportunity to improve can emerge from DM program with better skills than many divers who have more dives and have the competence to do the job. Don’t let the naysayers deter you.

I’ve seen this sentiment expressed often on this site, and it’s true at a strictly literal level.

However, for divers, especially those who barely meet the minimum number of dives to take the DM course, the course presents an outstanding opportunity to improve skills for those who seize it.

By helping with classes, observing different instructors, seeing students struggle to learn, trying to set a good example, and having the opportunity to focus on the basics, divers can significantly improve their diving skills even though that’s not the express goal of the program.

Which brings up the common complaint that agencies certify DM’s with too few dives. A diver with less than a zillion dives who seizes this opportunity to improve can emerge from DM program with better skills than many divers who have more dives and have the competence to do the job. Don’t let the naysayers deter you.
Until you’ve actually seen someone in the water who was a zero to hero DM/instructor who barely made the minimum dive count to begin DM/instructor. Seahorse trim, kicking up the bottom, bad buoyancy. I’ve seen a number who fit this description at Midwestern quarries.

Until you’ve actually seen someone in the water who was a zero to hero DM/instructor who barely made the minimum dive count to begin DM/instructor. Seahorse trim, kicking up the bottom, bad buoyancy. I’ve seen a number who fit this description at Midwestern quarries.

You missed my point.

The phrase “zero to hero” is a lazy stereotype. Like all stereotypes, it applies to some individuals but unfairly characterizes the category.

I acknowledged that the program isn’t designed to improve skills. Of course I’ve seen people whose credentials exceed their skills.

However, candidates who resolve not to conform to that caricature can emerge as dive professionals with skills that prevent anyone from assuming they are zero-to-hero graduates.

For those who want to be better divers, it would be a lot more efficient and enjoyable if they spent their money on instruction specifically meant to make them better divers instead of maybe picking stuff up as a side effect of additional in-water time while they were learning something else.

@Scraps is that something you’d say is dependent of the financial situation of the person.

Surely someone who could spend one year travelling and diving paying from his own pocket would as well acquire a lot of experience.

Thanks for all the replies people. Based on the answers other members got from their similar requests, I knew this would be a topic for discussion, although I really dont get why..
I have respect for you dive professionals and that you take pride in your work. But is it necessary to put this divemaster internship on such a pedestal? Becoming a DM is a 2-3 month long program. If I have the time and finances to just go to some paradise to do it, is it really so bad to want to do this "for fun"?

I'm currently solo-travelling, which is great and all, but a little lonely at times.
I'm really looking for to get into a community with likeminded people, make new friends for life, becoming a better diver ( and spanish-speaker) at the same time. Hope this can contribute for even more fruitful replies.

If you can think of other alternatives to a DM program, but which checks the similar kind of boxes I'm looking for, I'm all ears! :)

Hi @divedreaming89, I understand your feeling. I actually have a friend who did a 1-month divemaster program just because it was cheaper than diving as a customer :) So I will not judge you on the why. There are so many possible reasons why to do that course!

However, let me express my thoughts about two points. First, you mentioned that money isn't an issue. Second, the dive count on your profile is 0-24, and you said you just did your OW.

In this situation, I would go for routes very different from the divemaster course for the following reasons:
{1} You will have responsibilities, and with your little experience, you can't know if you are ready or not.
{2} With little experience, you will need to find a zero-to-hero program. Usually, shops that offer these programs are not the best (in terms of being responsible, teaching well, etc.). It isn't ALWAYS true, but very often it is.
{3} Having responsibilities might mean less fun.

Since money isn't an issue, I would do it differently. Specifically:
1 - I would do some fun diving.
2 - I would seek extra training.

Regarding point 2, I am a proposer of getting foundational tech training as early as possible; I am not an instructor, and the only reason why I advocate so is that all the instructors I met advocate for it :) Now, getting extra training means also meeting other like-minded people, especially if it is tech training (again, foundational tech training - do not even think about decompression or overhead stuff at your level, it can be deadly, seriously).

What is foundational tech training? Look at this:

There are other options, both in terms of agencies and training paths. First, you need to decide if you want t do just fun dives or if you prefer some training.

Sure, you still can go for a divemaster course, just keep in mind the suggestions you are getting in this thread from many experienced people.

Whatever you will choose, have fun and dive safely!

EDIT: some people disagree with the approach of taking foundational training as early as possible. There are many things you need to consider, for instance, if you need nitrox or not (probably you will if you want to dive so much), if you need some specific certifications to do certain dives you want to do (e.g. advanced), etc. So, really, first, you need to choose whether you want just to dive OR dive and get training. Then, if you decide you want to get training, you need to decide what kind. Also, keep in mind that training has a cost, and although money aren't a problem, maybe you want to dive a bit and see if you really like the activity before spending extra money on it. Cheers :)

Since money isn't an issue, I would do it differently. Specifically:
1 - I would do some fun diving.
2 - I would seek extra training.
This is Bang On

@divedreaming89

You are in Thailand now so get some experience in what is probably the best part of the world for warm water diving.

Hit Malaysia next, get over to Sipadan, then head over to the Philippines and then Indonesia (check the regional forums for advice on these countries).

Once you've got 100+ dives under your weightbelt review your situation and check out what you want to do next.

In the meantime add Nitrox to your experience and Rescue as well.

Don't be scared to look at other agencies for further training than you one you started with too, expand your knowledge and experience before doing the DM course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom