DiveAssure vs Dan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you seek medical treatment without contacting DAN first (they can direct you to the most appropriate facility or arrange evacuation) the facility may ask for payment in advance. Contacting DAN ensures DAN will arrange payment on your behalf.

If you seek medical treatment without contacting DAN first (they can direct you to the most appropriate facility or arrange evacuation) the facility may ask for payment in advance. Contacting DAN ensures DAN will arrange payment on your behalf.
1: DAN gives different advice. I think I'd call the local emergency resources first, then call DAN as soon as I could, which is more in line with their suggestions. True, they can be very helpful, I'd want them on the case as soon as possible - but first & foremost, get help as quickly as possible.
2: Whether or not the facility will want money up front will depend on location and other factors. DAN can be asked to wire funds if needed, but they cannot guarantee your bills everywhere.

I've got a question that I thought would be appropriate here vs. starting a new thread (though I'd be happy to do that as well).

What if you're involved in a medical situation (say, a heart attack) or accident while on a dive trip, and you're treated locally (not evacuated), and the emergency has nothing to do with the diving?

Does TravelAssist manage and cover medical treatment (with no evacuation) unrelated to diving? For years I thought the answer was "yes." But when I read it more closely on the DAN site, they consistently refer to TravelAssist as "evacuation" coverage rather than medical expense AND evacuation coverage.

I'm just trying to figure out if I want to get a separate medical policy. For my next trip, I have no need to cover travel expenses per se - due to booking with award miles, it doesn't actually cover much - but I'm curious now about the medical coverage of TravelAssist.

Many thanks.

I've got a question that I thought would be appropriate here vs. starting a new thread (though I'd be happy to do that as well).

What if you're involved in a medical situation (say, a heart attack) or accident while on a dive trip, and you're treated locally (not evacuated), and the emergency has nothing to do with the diving?

Does TravelAssist manage and cover medical treatment (with no evacuation) unrelated to diving? For years I thought the answer was "yes." But when I read it more closely on the DAN site, they consistently refer to TravelAssist as "evacuation" coverage rather than medical expense AND evacuation coverage.

I'm just trying to figure out if I want to get a separate medical policy. For my next trip, I have no need to cover travel expenses per se - due to booking with award miles, it doesn't actually cover much - but I'm curious now about the medical coverage of TravelAssist.

Many thanks.
Nope. DAN Dive Insurance covers diving, and some DAN Dive Insurance plans offer a small amount of accident coverage - but not for medical expenses otherwise. DAN membership includes TravelAssist for evacuation and other support, but not medical expenses. Trip insurance should cover medical, within the limits of the policy, and DAN sells such, but I get that elsewhere.

I know it's been a while since this topic was started, but I wanted to give my experience with Dive Assure. I broke my arm (very badly) on arrival in Belize. The shuttle driver who brought us from the airport took me to the hospital. I was in the hospital most of the night, got the arm casted, went to the resort by private plane. We were new members, couldn't even find our member numbers. My husband called them after we arrived at the resort and within 24 hours they had arranged to get me on a flight home, first class. They would have paid for my husband to go home with me, but we had a dive group with us that he had to stay with. I went home, had surgery to put an external fixator in. After it was all done my husband called expecting to have a fight with Dive Assure over the claim, and they said everything had been paid and the account was closed. I think we were out $140 for the private plane ride, but only because we didn't ask them for it because we felt like they had treated us so well. I highly recommend Dive Assure. We had the Platinum insurance at the time.

Dive Assure no longer offers coverage of you are diving within the U.S.

Source for this?

The DiveAssure Travel Insurance requires that you are outside of your home country for the policy to take effect; this is not new though and has been in effect since at least 2013...is this what you are referring to?

Their "Dive Accident Insurance" policy does not seem to have this limitation.

Source for this?

The DiveAssure Travel Insurance requires that you are outside of your home country for the policy to take effect; this is not new though and has been in effect since at least 2013...is this what you are referring to?

Their "Dive Accident Insurance" policy does not seem to have this limitation.
It's hidden on their site https://app.diveassure.com/#/registration/main/process/,3/int/0/7073/en until you try to sign up for local and international dive coverage, then you get this pop-up...

Due to recent changes to our programs, our diving accident coverage is available for diving outside the United States. Coverage for local diving is currently not available. Please proceed with the registration process if you are looking for international diving coverage. Please contact customer service for assistance if you have any questions. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience.

Well that sucks. Thanks for the info. Guess we'll be sticking with DAN!

So far not to impresses with the Dan travel guard plan trip insurance. My poor wife broke her humerus at a 90 degree angle this morning (damm horses). So our trip next month is done. I called from her bedside (we were there for sooooooo long). The agent at travel guard took my info, put me on hold, then told me to call Dan. Dan didn't have a clue as to why I was calling them so I started to get a little angry as it seemed someone was trying to get out of paying on the policy. Stress I DID NOT NEED. Called travel guard back and things went smoothly. Not a day to practice the if you don't like what you are hearing hang up and try another agent routine.

Now I am cancelling everything and wondering how I'm going to get the emerg doc/ortho to fill out the forms I need so I can get my substantial trip cost back.

Sigh. Never ever did I think I would need trip insurance for personal injury BEFORE A trip. I usually don't buy any but this was a big trip to RA so I thought I better. I really got it in case of evac or flight delay.

Word to the wise, we saved serious $. Christmas at home will be a bummer but it could have been a lot worse. Got to be thankful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom