Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You such a wealth of knowledge, and seem like a pretty cool guy too. Gotta love being immortalized in print, even if he did kill you, HA!

thanks for the great posts!

Sam, this thread has been a treat for someone like me who was not diving in those days. I enjoyed the learning experience, and I hope you will introduce more threads that bring that history to the rest of us.

How many recall and/or attached the small (miniature) SCUBA pro thermometer or the compass to their watchbands?

Recall the "Compact thermometer?" introduced in 1964, part number 72220 (later part number 520) price $5.00.
~~~ or ~~~
The "Compact compass?" Introduced in 1968 part number 510, price $5.00.

These two items were possibly the best selling dive accessories of all times. Totally impracticable but all self respecting serious divers had them attached to their watches, now they have disappeared as fast as they arrived.

sdm

I think those were to divers what pocket protectors and slide rules are to engineers, at least in the day. I took mine off my watch when I began dating my now wife because she said they were stupid looking or something unflattering. I recall being quite taken aback because I had thought them to be super groovy.

I still have some and they still make them. Maybe I should get some out and festoon my favorite watch with them for her comment. Yes, I think I will.

Maybe they will come back in to style. CD players, find one, vinyl is back and turntables are cool again and one kid offered me his arm and leg for my Teac cassette deck and DBX stand alone coder. I declined the offer. That's not an earthquake, that is my stereo system, cool huh!

N

Since I started diving on dive boats part of the time and the DM or Capt. always ask if some one has a watch or a way to tell the time; I purchased a Casio Forester for $28.00 two years ago. I wear it diving and all around it is still working fine . Why spend $100.00 or more on a watch? That money can be used for dinner and drinks after a dive or saved for a new lens and port for the U/W camera.

My watches :

002.jpg 001.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg şl.jpg

Dale C After some digging around finally found your mystery timepiece (page4) is a "Scubapro"
dive SCUBAPRO DIVE TIMER 1984.JPGSCUBAPRO DIVE TIMER CIRCA 1984.jpgtimer circa 1984 only appeared in that year due to dive computers coming on stream.

Last edited:
Most interesting watches, seldom seen in the US

# 1 Barbos Seamaster

# 3 CAT (with a green bezel ring !)

#4 Detomaso Bergamo

Are these common to Turkey and Europe?

Are they expensive?

Thanks for sharing

SDM

Dr.Miller Seiko ,Casio and Citizen have common in Turkey. Barbos 500 m. I bought De Tomaso new and liked so much screen is white .They are not expencive between 300-500 dollars.
Above all Auricoste La Spirotechnique is my favorite.It is very expencive but an old brand will be very enjoyable to dive.
During the dive is usually I prefer Royal Mistral and 9+9 La Spirotechnique tanks.I think my passion for this brand I will buy Auricoste La Spiro. watch.Thanks for interest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom