Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many recall and/or attached the small (miniature) SCUBA pro thermometer or the compass to their watchbands?

Recall the "Compact thermometer?" introduced in 1964, part number 72220 (later part number 520) price $5.00.
~~~ or ~~~
The "Compact compass?" Introduced in 1968 part number 510, price $5.00.

These two items were possibly the best selling dive accessories of all times. Totally impracticable but all self respecting serious divers had them attached to their watches, now they have disappeared as fast as they arrived.

sdm

Hahahahaha :rofl3: I can totally relate to this Sam. I too had a compass on my watch strap back in the day(early 70's), it was totally useless but looked so cool to show off to others. Everyone had to have one. hahaha

I have had two, and still have and use them to this day.

One is a cheap Innovative Time 200M with rotating bezel that I bought in 1985, and the other that I usually dive with now is a Casio DW-340 G-Shock 300M that I bought about twenty-five years ago or so.

Funny, I never really thought about it much, that some don't wear dive watches these days. I never stopped considering them basic scuba gear. But, I still dive tables and never felt the need or desire to blow a wad on an underwater computer. I guess dive computers are what's being pushed in today's classes?

701891F4-A5E7-4371-BE88-5D36F87A2AFB_zpsqwzkzc46.jpg

Baby Tuna

701891F4-A5E7-4371-BE88-5D36F87A2AFB_zpsqwzkzc46.jpg

Baby Tuna
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for your posting

Is your watch or a watch you would like to own?

If it is your watch It is suggested that you re set it to the correct date....the date of posting was Monday, 28 (July) Your posting indicates Sun (day) 16 (of ????)

Interesting detail..

SDM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for your posting

Is your watch or a watch you would like to own?

If it is your watch It is suggested that you re set it to the correct date....the date of posting was Monday, 28 (July) Your posting indicates Sun (day) 16 (of ????)

Interesting detail..

SDM

It is my watch that I wear when diving. (Seiko SRP453)

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Monster-Automatic-Limited-SRP453/dp/B00EA03GRK

I checked my log book, and the photo was taken Sunday FEB 16, 2014. I was diving the Blue Grotto.

The photo was taken with iPhone 5s after I removed my mask and took my watch off to remove my wetsuit top. When I looked at down I liked the composition of the photo and took the picture. A little PP later and that's is what you see.

I also wear this watch occasionally when diving, but mostly the baby tuna.

RolexSub.jpg

How many recall and/or attached the small (miniature) SCUBA pro thermometer or the compass to their watchbands?

Recall the "Compact thermometer?" introduced in 1964, part number 72220 (later part number 520) price $5.00.
~~~ or ~~~
The "Compact compass?" Introduced in 1968 part number 510, price $5.00.

These two items were possibly the best selling dive accessories of all times. Totally impracticable but all self respecting serious divers had them attached to their watches, now they have disappeared as fast as they arrived.

sdm

The compact thermometers were extremely efficient at determining the temperature of your wrist.

I still wear the mini compass and thermometer. I use both and by the why in the water where it is meant to be used the thermometer doesn't measure the temp of your wrist that only happens on land. I use the compass quite a bit especially when I'm in my kayak. I've lowered the watch to the bottom to measure the temp when fishing for largemouth bass. I use the watch's bezel to time some of the tests I do at work, and of course before submerging on every dive. I had a casio during the 80's but I'm back to the big hands and little hands and bezel. It's good to be home. :)

It is my watch that I wear when diving. (Seiko SRP453)

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Monster-Automatic-Limited-SRP453/dp/B00EA03GRK

I checked my log book, and the photo was taken Sunday FEB 16, 2014. I was diving the Blue Grotto.

The photo was taken with iPhone 5s after I removed my mask and took my watch off to remove my wetsuit top. When I looked at down I liked the composition of the photo and took the picture. A little PP later and that's is what you see.

I also wear this watch occasionally when diving, but mostly the baby tuna.

RolexSub.jpg
Show off!

Nothing fancy here... just a 24 or 25 year old Citizen (Dive Master, I think). It's been on a lot of dives and even served me well when I worked Federal Wildland Fire Suppression teams. The watch bands have literally rotted-off twice. I think the current band is a Seiko replacement. I still use it as a backup for my dive computer along with a console mounted depth gauge.

My son recently asked me if he could borrow it during a dive trip we did to Mexico. I politely replied that he needed to buy his own.

-AZTinman

Watch 1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom