Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to have a Seiko 6309 like some of you mentioned in the previous posts but it eventually flooded. I have had good luck with ther Citizen Aqualand but it got to be unreliable after about 10 years and would stop running for some reason. I have a Citizen Ecodrive that works well but it is too complicated for an old guy to use. Too many functions. I decided to try to find another Seiko 6309 but the ones I could find were used or refurbished with no assurance that they would not leak. I happily settled on a Seiko SKX007 which it like the 6309. So far it has been a good watch. The crown screws down snuggly and the bezel is a very solid unidirectional type. It has great lumens underwater and it is a basic but classic styled dive watch. A very good value for the price.

How many recall and/or attached the small (miniature) SCUBA pro thermometer or the compass to their watchbands?

Recall the "Compact thermometer?" introduced in 1964, part number 72220 (later part number 520) price $5.00.
~~~ or ~~~
The "Compact compass?" Introduced in 1968 part number 510, price $5.00.

These two items were possibly the best selling dive accessories of all times. Totally impracticable but all self respecting serious divers had them attached to their watches, now they have disappeared as fast as they arrived.

sdm

I swear I bought one of those thermometers and put it on the band of my Tudor. I loved it, even though I swear the needle never moved! It was completely useless, but I loved the concept.

Just remember the orange face Doxa divewatch is the watch Dirk Pitt wears in he books might increase the popularity some.

Warrenz

Thanks for the post and observation

re: Orange faced Doxa and Clive....FYI

Please note post number 10 to this thread as well as the following post

"I turned down a Oyster in favor of a Orange faced Doxa. At that time they had a retail for about the same price. Tommy Thompson was US Divers PR and LA Co UW instructor (NAUI had just been established and PADI was about 10 years in the future) He wanted all LA Co UW instructors living in Orange County to have an Orange faced Doxa with the US Divers Logo, so he made us an offer we couldn't refuse. I have one of the rare US Divers logo Doxas. Last time I checked on e bay they were around the $2,000.00.

After the success of Clive Cusslers first two books he made the wise decision to depart the employment of the Aquatic Center in Santa Ana, California and concentrate on his writing. He always secretly admired the orange Doxa so the owners presented him with a Doxa as a going away present. This is the same Doxa he references in his many books.

There is a great book titled "Doxa" by Doctor Pete Millar. It is out of print but can be found on occasion on the used books market at a some what reasonable price. Dr. Pete and I made several post about the book on the book thread to this board."

SDM"

The desirable and collectable Doxa that Clive wears was a short run of several years, it is the rare model made with the US Divers double hose logo on the face of the watch. However, all Doxas are rare and very collectable therefore generally expensive.

Clive has Ron Merker's LA Co basic card and my NAUI basic diver card.(some one had to instruct him)

In many of his books we are some how incorporated as a character - In his first major success "Raise the titanic" our names were combined as Sam Merker. In subsequent books there has generally been a Sam, Quaid, Triad, Sam Mittler, etc. In Sahara recall Doc. Miller? Shot between the eyes with a 45 on about page 70?

I obtained literary immortality by being shot between the eves in Clive's book.

What a sacrifice !

SDM

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2014 at 09:36 PM ----------

A little more on the DOXA...

The dive watch...doxa

THE DIVE WATCH...DOXA

THE BOOK....The DOXA SUB, forty years. 1967-2007

THE AUTHOR...Dr. Pete Millar

The Swiss made DOXA watch was introduced by US Divers of Santa Ana, California in their 1968 catalog. These models were the only models to feature the US Diver Logo with a US divers double hose regulator and tank with "Aqua Lung" printed horizontally across the tank. Sadly they were produced for only a short period of time and currently demanding premium, prices on the used watch market.

The watch was marketed in only one model the "DOXA sub" which was offered in 3 faces, black,Silver and bright Orange. The black faced one was listed as part number #7269 aka "Shark Hunter," silver, part number #7270 aka "Sea Rambler," and the popular orange faced model as part number 7268 "The Professional" and retailed for $150.00 hard earned California dollars.

A few years later the original Doxa models were followed by other Doxa models such as the Doxa Chronograph, retail $250.00 the smaller mini Doxa retail $170.00 and the Conquistador listed at retail $175.00 in the US Divers Commercial catalog of that era.

It was the original Orange faced Doxa watch that made an immediate impact on the diving world. Prior to its introduction the majority of the diving watches were smaller in size, often the bezel rotated both left and right, most were black faced making them difficult, if not almost impossible to read in low light conditions, therefore most were difficult to use as an effective diving decompression tool, and guaranteed to eventually leak- (Before the Doxa I never owned a dive watch I couldn't flood)

The Orange faced model has been made even more famous by the diving adventure author Clive Cussler whose main fictional character Dirk Pitt, always wears an orange faced original DOXA as does Clive in the pictures of him and Dirk's autos on the back of his numerous books.

Clive was introduced to the orange faced DOXA while employed at the Aquatic Center on Harbor Boulevard in Santa Ana, California were, between customers, he collected information to do character studies and wrote the his first two of his many diving based novels, "Ice Berg" and "Raise the Titanic." During this era there were only a few active Underwater Instructors for all of Orange county; All certified by LA County; a few had crossed over LA county to NAUI which had just recently been established but no PADI which was not even a dream of the future in the minds of Chicagoans Cronin, Erikson and Chow.

LA Co Instructor and US Diver's popular PR man Tommy Thompson made an offer to the active LA County Certified instructors residing in Orange County for the Oranged faced Doxas that they could not refuse. Jobber price- The lowest the watch could possibly be sold.

It was in this setting that Clive Cussler was exposed to the magic glow of the orange faced Doxa sub; it was the sign the symbol of the OC instructors and on occasion, since diver ranking had been established but rejected by LA Co and NAUI, also the sign of what was then refereed to as a "serious diver."

Clive's first book "Ice berg" received a cold reception only 5000 were printed in hard cover and immediately went to soft cover trade paper back. A some time later "Raise the Titanic" was printed and became a run away best seller and Clive was on his way to literary immortality.

With income from his books Clive could now devote his life to research and writing books, so he gave notice to the Aquatic Center that he was terminating his employment. As a going away present the owners of the Aquatic Center presented Clive with his very own orange faced US Divers Doxa sub. Clive in turn immortalized the owners in Raise the Titanic, the late Dick Spencer aka "Spence," Al "O" Woods aka "Woodson" and Sam Merker was a complation of two of Clive's major antagonist as "Sam Merker." (aka SAM Miller and Ron MERKER.) Clive has continued to write to this day with the very same Orange faced Doxa on his and his fictional hero Dirk Pitt's wrist and has continued to include his major antagonist buried within his many published books.

The book "The DOXA sub, forty years 1967-2007," Was introduced in May 2007 to the diving bibliophile and diving watch collecting world in a hard cover, jacketed edition. As should befitting a DOXA watch the book was printed on very high grade glossy paper, it measures 8-1/2 inches by 11 inches by 1 inch thick. Between the bright orange covers are 278 information filled pages loaded with photographs and descriptions of the of the various models. The book "DOXA sub" is the first and only book printed to accurately document the origins of a diving watch and has immediately became a diving book classic upon its release. It is the definitive book on this historic watch.

It is predicted that the book "The Doxa sub" will escalate in value many times over in a record time. It will no doubt be as collectable and desirable as Leon Lyons definitive book "Helmets of the deep," It retailed for $300.00 upon release, now almost 15 years after its printing is selling for in excess of $4000.00 and Torrance Parker's "20,000 Jobs under the sea," which originally sold for $85.00 are currently selling for around $800.00 and is on its way to $1000 a copy. So it will be with the new book on the market "Doxa sub;forty years, 1967-2007."

The author, Dr. Pete Millar, is a well known medical doctor in Aurora,Illinois who is an enthusastic diver a world renown expert on Doxa watches. Dr Millar spent many years collecting, overhauling and cataloging Doxas watches and untold dollars researching and publishing this monumental book.

With its publication DOXA sub-forty years 1967-2007 Dr. Millar has created a great book and a created a lasting tribute to diving world.

Interested in the book? It was originally available via the Doxa web site for $79.00 +$20.00 Shipping with in the US. However, it is now out of print and is only occasional available in the used book market at a premium "classic book" price .
Yes, I still my DOXA. This morning I am currently wearing my 1968 US Divers logo Orange faced Doxa sub, as I set at the computer contemplating heading for the beckoning Pacific Ocean.

Dr. Millar was kind enough to send me an inscribed DOXA SUB -Forty Years -1967-2007. The watch and the book have already become family heirlooms to be passed down to future generations of my diving family.

SDM

Enjoy!​

Where is the best place to get some old Doxa's restored? I have 2 from the early 70's, a black and a silver:)

I have several "dive" watches, but my Citizen and Tissot are the only ones with depth gauges. They have both been down to approximately 110' and both have been used as the primary bottom timer on several dives. The Citizen is usually my backup bottom timer and depth gauge for most of my Caribbean dives, whereas the Tissot is newer and has only dived a couple of wrecks in North Carolina.
IMG_1446.jpg

Back
Top Bottom