Dive watch for serious use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good points. However,
I am already monitoring my gas using spgs, and diving well within thirds, but I would also like to be better aware of the passage of time. I have a dive computer but it is hard to read because of reflections and stuff. Hence, I am looking for something that tells the time and glows in the dark and is uncluttered and doesn't cost a thousand dollars. Perfectly safe diving has been done prior to $1000 dive computers and $800 bottom timers.

Dive safe, buddy...!

Thank you all for the links and advice :)
Some very nice watches indeed.

Obviously, computers have their place. But a back up watch can be more than useful.

While some good suggestions have been made, for a value priced real dive watch*, the Seiko's are hard to beat.

*In other words, serviceable, durable, good lume, meant for actual use, and tested to or beyond their rated depths.

But the sky is the limit for such watches, of course.

Finding a watch for actual diving is a little bit tricky: all the dive watches tend to be reviewed at a desk. I haven't found any reviews done under water using drygloves. And the straps might be too short to go around a drysuit sleeve.

The writer at Dive Watch News, Reviews, and Info | Dive Watches Blog is a diver, and sometime mentions issues with watches that do or don't work well with dry gloves and dry suit sleeves.

Best value watches I've found: some Seiko, Citizen and Casio. Some Invicta (many are "pretty" watches, some are "tool" watches).

All of these manufacturers have perfectly good watches at the 200m-400m level in the $150-$300 level.

Personally, I couldn't imagine paying more than $200-$300 unless there was a watch that I *really* wanted for some reason.

Like an original 1986 Seiko 1000m Ceramic/Titanium Diver :)

The OP requires that the watch be self illuminating, visible in a dark, murky environment. Can this be done?

anything with superluminova will need recharging to keep the brightness up. if that is ok, then a seiko or orient watch will work. the seiko monsters are particularly bright.

else, you could go for hybrid TGLS with lume, like the reactor atom never dark or deep blue t100 diver, if you want true self illumination.

the deepblu cosmiq or a used shearwater might be a better fit than a watch.

Back
Top Bottom