Dive watch for serious use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I'll bite.

Maybe I don't understand your point, but how is a watch going to keep you alive? What are you expecting the watch to do that a dive computer doesn't "perform"? Do you really plan and execute dives by guessing the depth, and figuring out how much gas you have left based on a precise measurement of the dive time?

I mean, don't get me wrong. It's fun to wear a dive watch to signify that you are part of the tribe, and some of the watches that people have mentioned here are really cool. But I'll trust a $160 Mares Puck over an $8,000 Rolex Submariner when it comes to keeping me alive.

These dives would be 30 feet deep max. Deco is not a problem. Running out of gas would be (it's a cave). I can look at the SPGs but I also want to see the time as it is easier to look at ones arm than to look at an SPG under ones arm. A watch would be visible 100% of the time while an SPG is only visible when you remember to look at it.

I have a dive computer with a black and white (grey) LCD screen. The backlight is tricky to turn on and only lasts for 30 seconds. I need something more usable. Because of back scater I need something self-illuminating. Else I will only see some silt. I could solve this issue by purchasing an USD 800 dive computer with an LCD or OLED screen but they cost too much. A dive watch would be self-illuminating, cheap, and within view.

Some answers:

1) how is a watch going to keep you alive? Time = gas constantly visible (known depth). Cannot forget to check the SPG.

2) What are you expecting the watch to do that a dive computer doesn't "perform"? Self illuminating while beeing "cheap".

3) Do you really plan and execute dives by guessing the depth, and figuring out how much gas you have left based on a precise measurement of the dive time? No, I do have SPGs but knowing the dive time at any instant would really help staying aware.

Last edited:
I have no idea what kind of diving you are doing, maybe I'm not understanding the situation. However, gas = gas.

If you are doing dives in an overhead environment in low visibility with a dive plan that puts you even close to the limits of your gas supply, you had better know exactly what your actual gas supply is at any given time. It's not a great idea to pretend that it's a reasonable alternative to guesstimate it by precisely measuring your dive time and then ballparking your depth and SAC.

I'm not cave certified, but I'm pretty sure that you won't find any cave diver who will tell you that as long as you know your bottom time, it's not critical to know what your SPG shows. You don't have to check your SPG constantly (it's not like PO2 on a rebreather), but if remembering to look at your SPG is a problem, cave diving isn't a great idea.

Cave diving isn't cheap. Cave diving in constant low vis is not the kind of endeavor where your finances should compromise safety. Maybe get an OLED dive computer with air integration if you feel the need to constantly know your gas reserve with closer monitoring than an SPG can provide.

While I agree with the Chinese lumens comment for the most part I did buy a $14 Casio rated for 50M (forgot my dive watch on a trip) and I've had it down past 90 feet several times. Also, my experience is that the batteries last around 6 years, not 2. I haven't had my 100M Casios any deeper but I've never had a problem other than what I mentioned before. I've known people who took their Casios down to 250'. I wouldn't suggest it without having had good personal experiences with them.

The word must be getting out because I've been seeing some Chinese flashlights that say 300L instead of 2000L. A little more believable.

The Casio I used was the predecessor of the watch I linked to. It was not luminous and had a separate button to light up the watch. That may have accounted for the short battery life. I do have somewhere a watch liked the one you linked to. The band gave way so I stopped wearing it. The last time I came across it I don't think it was running and I have not owned it for 6 years. So I guess YMMV.

As for as the 200M recommendation goes that is standard in the watch industry. I have taken cheap watches diving in the past and did not have an issue either, but I was not doing it repeatedly.

Yes, I do know :)

The real problem however is backscatter from all the stuff that floats in the water so I really need something that glows in the dark. Something that beeps once a minute would be better though.

Ahhh! You need the $75 heads up display mask with intuitive tank pressure, depth, time, compass and bathroom timer. Wait about 30 years, and it should be at your price point.

You don’t wear a dive watch when you dive...you wear a bungee mounted Shearwater.

Above the water you check your smartphone when you need to see the time.

imo

Take a look at the Citizen Eco Drive watches. I have one and love it for many reasons. First it can be had for under $150 USD and doesn't need a battery. Also if you are out in good sunlight for a bit, the illumination will last easily for 12+ hours.

I have no idea what kind of diving you are doing, maybe I'm not understanding the situation. However, gas = gas.

If you are doing dives in an overhead environment in low visibility with a dive plan that puts you even close to the limits of your gas supply, you had better know exactly what your actual gas supply is at any given time. It's not a great idea to pretend that it's a reasonable alternative to guesstimate it by precisely measuring your dive time and then ballparking your depth and SAC.

I'm not cave certified, but I'm pretty sure that you won't find any cave diver who will tell you that as long as you know your bottom time, it's not critical to know what your SPG shows. You don't have to check your SPG constantly (it's not like PO2 on a rebreather), but if remembering to look at your SPG is a problem, cave diving isn't a great idea.

Cave diving isn't cheap. Cave diving in constant low vis is not the kind of endeavor where your finances should compromise safety. Maybe get an OLED dive computer with air integration if you feel the need to constantly know your gas reserve with closer monitoring than an SPG can provide.

Good points. However,
I am already monitoring my gas using spgs, and diving well within thirds, but I would also like to be better aware of the passage of time. I have a dive computer but it is hard to read because of reflections and stuff. Hence, I am looking for something that tells the time and glows in the dark and is uncluttered and doesn't cost a thousand dollars. Perfectly safe diving has been done prior to $1000 dive computers and $800 bottom timers.

Finding a watch for actual diving is a little bit tricky: all the dive watches tend to be reviewed at a desk. I haven't found any reviews done under water using drygloves. And the straps might be too short to go around a drysuit sleeve.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom