Dive watch for serious use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depth ratings are like Chinese lumens. In other words, grossly exaggerated. For diving you normally want a watch with a depth rating of 200M. 100M is good enough for swimming, snorkeling, or shallow diving. 50M is good for getting caught in the rain. There are some watches in the $40 or so dollar range that will work. Such as the the cheaper G-shocks.

While I agree with you, it cracks me up that a 100M watch isn't good for recreational dive dive limits. Seriously..., 1/3 the depth isn't enough of a safety factor??

While I agree with you, it cracks me up that a 100M watch isn't good for recreational dive dive limits. Seriously..., 1/3 the depth isn't enough of a safety factor??

Remember that the most watches advertise they are water resistant not water proof. The more resistance the better. I have gone swimming with a 50M rated watch and nothing happened, but YMMV. I have used the predecessor of this watch with good results. The battery lasts about two years but after you change it is no longer waterproof. So buy a new one. However, I admit it is not a real dive watch.

Probably the best reasonably-priced dive watch was the Seiko "Orange Monster", but I don't see them offered for sale anymore so Seiko must have discontinued the model.

Self-illuminating means tritium, hence my two recommendations. If you're willing to forego that, many of the other watches linked would be perfectly acceptable. I'd go with one of the Seiko offerings.

I had a Luminox many years ago. Their current quality sucks unfortunately, and has for the last 10 years or so. They used to be awesome, not so much anymore.

I want a device that keeps me alive. Visibility would be abyssmal - like ten inches or less...

I need to know the dive time (=gas). I can usually guess the depth. My dive computer doesn't perform. I already know some good visual dive computers (time+depth) but here I am considering self-illumiating plain dive watches under USD 300 and with a modest depth rating (120ft).

OK, I'll bite.

Maybe I don't understand your point, but how is a watch going to keep you alive? What are you expecting the watch to do that a dive computer doesn't "perform"? Do you really plan and execute dives by guessing the depth, and figuring out how much gas you have left based on a precise measurement of the dive time?

I mean, don't get me wrong. It's fun to wear a dive watch to signify that you are part of the tribe, and some of the watches that people have mentioned here are really cool. But I'll trust a $160 Mares Puck over an $8,000 Rolex Submariner when it comes to keeping me alive.

Last edited:
I want a device that keeps me alive. Visibility would be abyssmal - like ten inches or less...

I need to know the dive time (=gas). I can usually guess the depth. My dive computer doesn't perform. I already know some good visual dive computers (time+depth) but here I am considering self-illumiating plain dive watches under USD 300 and with a modest depth rating (120ft).
Momentum makes some nice dive watches at reasonable prices.

I have this one

Deep 6 Steel

While I agree with the Chinese lumens comment for the most part I did buy a $14 Casio rated for 50M (forgot my dive watch on a trip) and I've had it down past 90 feet several times. Also, my experience is that the batteries last around 6 years, not 2. I haven't had my 100M Casios any deeper but I've never had a problem other than what I mentioned before. I've known people who took their Casios down to 250'. I wouldn't suggest it without having had good personal experiences with them.

The word must be getting out because I've been seeing some Chinese flashlights that say 300L instead of 2000L. A little more believable.

Do you know how to use a unidirectional bezel??

Yes, I do know :)

The real problem however is backscatter from all the stuff that floats in the water so I really need something that glows in the dark. Something that beeps once a minute would be better though.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom