Dive Trip to Philippines in Oct 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladida321

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new around here so pls bear with me.

Basically, I'm going to Manila for a friend's wedding and I thought of flying there earlier to visit some of the famous or good dive sites. I've been trawling the internet & the forum for a while now but it seems like everywhere in the Philippines is freaking good!

I have managed to narrow down my targets to Palawan & the area surrounding Manila (which would include Anilao, but I'm only ok about Macro tbh). Do hope you experienced fellas can drop me some recommendations to fill up a 3day trip to Palawan and the surrounding areas. I should be heading next to Boracay for another 3 days (my friend wants to visit it, but heh, beaches when you can dive? c'mon). Any other dive sites on the way (or slightly out of the way) worth the visit?

Thanks in advance yo!

Last edited:
Anilao has great overall diving, fantastic macro and also nice corals. But resort accommodation is basic, no meal choices and no night life except at your resort. Week day occupancy can be very low, as in you may be the only guest. Puerto Galera has good diving, nice selection of accommodations, and lively night life.
Why Palawan? If mainly for diving I think you could do better such as South Leyete, or Bohol.

Coron in Palawan is great for wreck diving. The flight from manila is 45 min. Cheap if you book in advance. Accommodations vary from backpackers to 4 star. USD 10 to 100+ per night. A comfortable average would be USD 35 for an aircon room with breakfast, free wifi, etc for two persons. All of the hotels base their prices on double occupancy. A full day of diving on the wrecks will cost less than USD 100. That would be "all in" including gears, entry fees, lunch on the boats, drinks, guide, boat, kitchen sink, etc. As for Boracay, If you have a chance take a boat up to Romblon (30 min) and do some diving there. Its off the standard tourist map. Romblon has some good diving, just with out all the crowds.

I'd second ukdave's question about why Palawan? Unless you like wrecks (see comment on Coron above), I really wouldn't think of Palawan as a top choice in the Philippines--though it is a beautiful island with El Nido, the subterranean river caves, etc. I love Anilao, but it is primarily a macro destination. Personally, even though you have limited time, I'd take the short (and cheap) flight to Cebu or Dumaguete and think about Malapascua, Bohol, Dumaguete or maybe Moalboal. If memory serves me, I believe you can also fly Boracay-Cebu. Boracay is a lot of fun!

Hey guys, thanks for your replies & recommendations!'
Well... Palawan was actually a recommendation by my Philippino friend for an alternative to the party lifestyle of Boracay. I did a bit of searching and thought that El Nido & the caves & Coron were going to be exciting for the 3 days stay.

Keep the advice rolling, great stuff!

From a "non" diving perspective, the mainland of PALAWAN is a great choice, there is alot to see and do, much of it is still pristine, the Under Ground River is fun(if you visit on a slow day... it is not really a dive destination for experienced divers.. you will have plenty to do for three days of non-diving fun.... But for diving Coron which is another Island in the Palawan Province is very good wreck diving.... I dont think you could squeeze in both Coron, El-Nido, Under Ground River and other terrestrial sights as well as dive Coron in 3 or 4 days..

If you really want to go diving on your first trip, you might do better to stay around Manila (Anilao, Puerto Galera or Subic(wrecks).....

Cheers
Roger

Have to agree with Roger... I would also recommend staying around Manila. You either fly into Puerto Princesa or Coron when going to Palawan. Puerto Princesa has some great sights that are accessible from there (like the Underground River), but is a good half day drive from El Nido. The ferry between El Nido and Coron is a full day trip. When you add in the flight and having to curtail your diving before flying, it's hardly worth it for only 3 days or 4 days. If I were flying into Manila and looking for local diving, I'd go to Puerto Galera. Anilao is great, some of the best macro opportunities in the world in my opinion, but for overall diving, and a little nightlife, Puerto Galera would be easier and probably cheaper depending on where you stayed and has great variety. If you're into wrecks, I'd go to Subic Bay which will also have some nightlife. Boracay I can't comment on as I've never been there. I've heard it has great beaches, but there are better places for diving, not that I've ever seen any "bad" diving in the Philippines :wink: Best of luck. No matter where you go you will have a great time in the Philippines :)

There is a ferry linking Boracay and Batangas(for Anilao and PG).
There is another ferry sailing between Boracay and Roxa in Mindoro(for PG).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom