Dive trip to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning a dive trip in Bonaire at the beginning of April. I plan to stay at Buddy Dive Resort. Any recommandations for appartement best location on site?

Envoyé de mon SM-T310 en utilisant Tapatalk

Buddy's is composed of two resorts. The old Lion's Dive (?) and Buddy's. For my money, I would go for a unit in on of the two three story buildings (Buddy's). While I trust things have changed, we got stuck in a Lion's unit that was in poor shape. In addition, all of the second floor units on the Buddy's side have an ocean view (2-3br). The same cannot be said of units on the Lion's side.

All apartments in the combined complex have now been refurbished; not sure when Driftwood was there.
The "New side " aka "Lions Dive side" aka "North side" has A/C in the living rooms as well as the bedrooms; the old, original side has the A/C only in the bedrooms.

Optimum buildings are 1 and 7...close to the water, best view; 3 and 5 are not far behind. 2 and 6 are closest to parking.
1-4 are on the old side, 5-7 on the new side.

You are not likely to spend that much time in your room anyway! Diving and eating beckon.....

One thing that kinda sucks about Buddies is that they won't let you reserve any particular accommodation.. other than the type. You can't reserve Ocean Front, Ocean View, etc. So it's kind-a like a crapshoot. We've been going to Buddies for the past 9 trips and always got lucky. Last May, we got stuck with an apartment that really sucked. We won't be going back unless they change their policy and let you have a better idea of what you'll get.

For us, the accommodations are really important. We do our 3 dives then like to hang out on the balcony or terrace, work out the blender and go through all the days videos.

One thing that kinda sucks about Buddies is that they won't let you reserve any particular accommodation.. other than the type. You can't reserve Ocean Front, Ocean View, etc. So it's kind-a like a crapshoot. We've been going to Buddies for the past 9 trips and always got lucky. Last May, we got stuck with an apartment that really sucked. We won't be going back unless they change their policy and let you have a better idea of what you'll get.

For us, the accommodations are really important. We do our 3 dives then like to hang out on the balcony or terrace, work out the blender and go through all the days videos.

I find it works best to go through a travel broker....costs me the same, and they have more clout when making the reservation.

I've been to BD a number of times and have requested a room type ( waterfront Lion Dive side ) and they were able to accommodate every time but once.
I prefer the Lion dive side because of the big balconies, and the juxtaposition to the fresh water pool. I think all these suites have been renovated by now.

The new junior suites next door at Captain Dons look nice but I have not personally stayed there.

Another smaller, quieter option is Belmar Condos - another Buddy Dive affiliated resort. Costs a little more than Buddy's IIRC.

All the units face the water. It's in Belnem which is a quieter area south of town. 5mins. away is the start of all the southern dive sites. You get use of the Buddy drive-thru. Belmar's tank pickup is about 30-40' from your vehicle parked behind your room. If they're full, parking is a little tight. Buddy sends a boat down a couple times per week, otherwise you meet it at Buddy's location.

Belmar Oceanfront Apartments Bonaire - First Class Accommodations

There's no food/bar on site though - or nearby - for that you need to drive 5mins. to town - or the Plaza Resort - about the same distance.

Even though the rooms are nicer at Belmar, I still lean toward Buddy dive main campus because of the great house reef with it's obvious convenience, particularly at night. I love being able to go from my room to the dock, put on tanks, dive, shower and rinse gear and then back to the room for a beverage on the patio before heading out for dinner. All in about an hour and a forty five minutes.
I also like breakfast at Buddy dive, hard to beat the view from the breakfast area.

Buddy's also manages the Caribbean Club - which is well off the beaten path for Bonaire.

The ocean view units are nice - with a great view and have a nice price tag.
The other units have no water view at all and the price reflects this.
You can opt for the breakfast package and there is a dive shop, etc on site.

The house reef is Oil Slick - which means you have no real direct water access for diving.

Is it safe to let our scuba gears outside to dry between dives/night? For the safety, do you recommand to stay at a higher level than the first floor?

About recharging your batteries in your appartement (such laptop, camera batteries, etc.), I saw on there website it's better to do it at the Front Desk because the outlet is protected by a transformer. Do you ever experience any problem doing it in your appartement?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom