Dive trip to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed in the Northern side apartments with my family in 2012. New room; LOVED IT! All new furniture, appliances, beds (with a box spring!), walk in showers, and a tiled entryway with a drain and a little alcove for storing wet dive gear! AWESOME. For our two bedroom apartment, we had an entry on the road side (but far from the road, so no noise), and the parking lot was right outside. VERY convenient for hauling down the gear in the morning.

The balcony, though, faced the west, with an ocean view. Awesome for relaxing and filling out the log. You made a good choice with Buddy Dive! (BTW, I just bought my spot there in June- $2295, with airfare! Sorry, hijack is over)

Is it safe to let our scuba gears outside to dry between dives/night? For the safety, do you recommand to stay at a higher level than the first floor?

About recharging your batteries in your appartement (such laptop, camera batteries, etc.), I saw on there website it's better to do it at the Front Desk because the outlet is protected by a transformer. Do you ever experience any problem doing it in your appartement?
Yes, if you're on a 2nd floor or higher room. Just don't hang anything expensive over the side. Don't tempt people with fishing gear.

As for charging, bring a surge protector. You won't have any problems, but the protector will ensure you're safe.

The new junior suites next door at Captain Dons look nice but I have not personally stayed there.
Yeah? They're not. I was there in October. Older furniture, same crappy safes (mine had the batteries held in with duct tape, and the bathroom remodeling was to tile over the old tile. Like flushing the toilet with a stick? They didn't measure their new counters, and since they extend over the toilet, they drilled a hole in the counter, and put a stick in to push down on the flush button. Classy. And no box springs. I can sleep on anything, including a slab of depleted uranium, but when I'm on vacation, I do like a bed that isn't a thin mattress on a piece of plywood.

I sudder to think of what the rooms were like before this "remodelling".

Is it safe to let our scuba gears outside to dry between dives/night? For the safety, do you recommand to stay at a higher level than the first floor?

About recharging your batteries in your appartement (such laptop, camera batteries, etc.), I saw on there website it's better to do it at the Front Desk because the outlet is protected by a transformer. Do you ever experience any problem doing it in your appartement?

We have ALWAYS charged ALL items in our rooms at Buddies without issue. Laptop, Camera, Lights, LiIon Video Lights..... everything. We do bring a surge protector and run everything through that. Note: Past performance for me is no guarantee of future results for you. Good luck and have a blast... We're headed back this May for 14 days.

One more thing.. at least one evening while there, make sure to take an ice chest and head down south for a pre-evening dive followed by a rousing game of Beach Rock Jenga at sunset... (really its mostly whitewashed beach coral) The rules are simple. One player starts with a rock then players take turns adding to the tower. Whoever finally makes the tower fall over looses the game...... or maybe wins... I forget, but I do know that there is beer and shots involved!! Here's a pic right before I won...or lost. Who cares....it's all about the fun. Love Bonaire..

Beach Rock Jenga.jpg

One more thing.. at least one evening while there, make sure to take an ice chest and head down south for a pre-evening dive followed by a rousing game of Beach Rock Jenga at sunset... (really its mostly whitewashed beach coral) The rules are simple. One player starts with a rock then players take turns adding to the tower. Whoever finally makes the tower fall over looses the game...... or maybe wins... I forget, but I do know that there is beer and shots involved!! Here's a pic right before I won...or lost. Who cares....it's all about the fun. Love Bonaire..
THAT is an AWESOME idea. I love it.

Just remember people, that you'd need your DD. You may be on vacation, but their Police are not. And anyone who knows European DUI laws knows you don't want one there.

Yes on the surge protector for 3 reasons - power spikes, limited number of outlets and the limited outlets are always inconvenient - the only outlet in the living room will be located behind the sofa. Saw new gadget in dive mag last week - compact surge protector 4 plugs + 2 USB slots, around $20 US. We also throw a length of clothes line in bag ~ tied off around patio arches and makes it soooo convenient to dry out stuff. I prefer lower levels, don't like to negotiate tile steps with wet gear. Crocs, while ugly, are decent traction on tile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom