Dive Trip - "I should have brought..."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you dive with a serviceable computer, bring extra batteries.

I learned the hard way: never forget the motion-sickness pills.....

My favorite piece of non-std gear is my expedition hat; it's like a ballcap but made out of wicking, rain-slicking ulralight nylon, with an elongated bill and a full wrap-around cape on the back - like a Legionnaire's hat. I look like a duck in a tent with it, but it realy keeps that sun at bay....

Aside from that, I echo the "less crap" sentiment. I can get by on the same outfit for about a week (not because I'm a slob, but specifically because I am not a slob), so I only worry about equipment - diving, cameras, computers - and try to make sure I can rent all the heavy stuff when I get there anyway.

Just got back from Belize - pterantula is right - DO NOT forget the motion-sickness medication! Diving on the reef - half the crew didnt make the second dive...and missed the sharks! Hate that for them. Also - bring your own gear. The crap they were giving everyone else made us not mind hauling our 50 pounds of gear all over creation and back. Have a great time! Ask about diving Cypress Gardens near San Pedro - it was awesome!

khblair:
Have a great time! Ask about diving Cypress Gardens near San Pedro - it was awesome!

Who'd you dive with?

(already got the motion sickness drugs...)

Aquadivers. i keep reading mixed reviews. one end of the spectrum "id never dive with them again" and the other "we had a great time and they are very competent". my advice - just be careful and double and triple check everything (which you should be doing anyway) - especially if you are using their stuff.

Spent the last week of June diving with Protech-great operation Reuben and Zoe take great care of you.. Did the Blue Hole with Amigos del Mar (booked through Protech)that was a really good trip also.
The two most valuable things we took besides all my gear were insect repellant and rain panchos. Jolly Ranchers were really popular on the boats after dives.

speaking of candy - we took sweet tarts with us. they were a big hit too. i dont recommend chocolate for obvious reasons

Last dive trip was to a local quarry. One thing I forgot to bring...A long enough weight belt. Rented BC and weight belt. Ended up putting half of weight in pockets on bc.

Things to also remember... orings and a dental pick to fish the old ones out.
small tool assortment- if something goes wrong you can do some tightened or fixing.
spare parts kit.
a quick drying towel and not neccessarily a beach towel, saw one at a hiking store that's paper thin, bought one that used to dry cars.

Some items that we find useful:

- 6 foot length of ¼” shock cord. One end has a 1 “ loop and the other a carabineer. It can be used for a jon line and we use it a lot as a clothes line. It stretches to about 9’ and can hold a lot of wet clothes. We also take 8 plastic clothes pins. All very light and can be stuffed into a small space.

- photocopies of our passports, along with the real ones.

- extra pair of really cheap sunglasses. Don’t care if we loose them.

- small plastic bottle of hand sanitizer. Nice to have when there is no soap around.

- list of all our gear and contents of suitcases. Came in handy when suitcases go on their own vacation without you.

- one dollar bills for tips and small purchases.

There are other things we take, but hope this helps.

Mask, fins, wet suit, hood, gloves, BCD, Regulator, 4-6 lbs of weight(yeah, I bring my own), small knife on BCD web, HID light, back up light, 100' of spool, safety saus., air alert, signal mirror, back up light, computer, camera, and batteries.

I also bring an extra regulator set up, tools, o-rings, fin straps, extra masks/straps. Everything else is a luxury like clothes.

Back
Top Bottom