Dive Trip - "I should have brought..."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingjd:
I always like to take the Reef Fish Identification and Reef Creature Identification books. It is always fun to have them on the boat to identify things everybody saw on the dive. It's a tough choice, though, because they are pretty heavy and weight limits are getting tough.
If you're headed to the Caribbean and already lugging a laptop, as I do, this CD-Rom, ReefNet Fishes of The Caribbean & Adjacent Waters, is a good substitute for Humann.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_1021/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/CDRF06.html?Hit=1

Jcsgt:
There's a condensed version with waterproof pages for the Caribbean fish. I like to tuck that into my dive bag--takes up no room, no weight to speak of.
I've looked at that and it's a great idea, but the coverage is pretty limited, so I am still dragging the big ones around.

vladimir:
If you're headed to the Caribbean and already lugging a laptop, as I do, this CD-Rom, ReefNet Fishes of The Caribbean & Adjacent Waters, is a good substitute for Humann.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_1021/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/CDRF06.html?Hit=1
I've considered that approach, too, but I don't take a laptop (too much like work). I suppose the size/weight tradeoff of the two books for the laptop might make sense, but there's no way I would take the laptop on the dive boat.

I thought of something else that is massively useful: those small bottles of liquid hand sanitizer and travel packs of wet cleaning cloths. They have come in handy in lots of situations.

An extra dive skin or 2, nothing worse than putting on damp gear.

Can you get ReefNet Fishes of The Caribbean & Adjacent Waters onto a PDA. Much better than carting a whole laptop onto a boat.

catherine96821:
Kona coffee, ground.

Coffee press

down pillow

1/2 the clothes, twice the money
We think a like catherine, I guess Green Kona beans and my coffee roaster would travel a bit heavy!

Less cloths the better, don't forget the Gringo Cologne (Deep woods off deet 30%+)
I like the handy prepackaged wipes.
If you’re going inland the skeeters might getcha.
Gringo Cologne on the beaches unless your in a resort area help keep the sand flies at bay.

Always bring a roll of duct tape. I hate to be a pesimist, but, it could save your life. For those who remember the Hilton and MGM Grand Hotel fires in Las Vegas in the early 80s ... the experts say that most people who died in their rooms from smoke inhalation would have lived had they had duct tape to cover the air vents and seal the doors. Of course, duct tape is useful for many other tasks.

it's amazing how a 99 cent poncho can keep you from getting cold while its raining on the way to the dive sites.

ItsBruce:
Always bring a roll of duct tape. I hate to be a pesimist, but, it could save your life. For those who remember the Hilton and MGM Grand Hotel fires in Las Vegas in the early 80s ... the experts say that most people who died in their rooms from smoke inhalation would have lived had they had duct tape to cover the air vents and seal the doors. Of course, duct tape is useful for many other tasks.

Request a room lower than the eigth floor. The 100' firetruck ladders can't reach you if you're on the 13 floor. What are you doing on the 13th floor anyway?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom