Dive Talk Go Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rebreather has "fail" all over it. It is a recreational unit that is supposed to be easy, out of the box, and with probably less tech stuff that one would expect in a typical CCR. However, the manual goes into measuring O2 flow rates, etc.

I am really curious who DT guys see as customers and why DT thinks that it can succeed where other manufacturers have failed. Also, I sense this manual is a draft. It is one of the worst quality manuals that I have seen.

I would totally buy a “recreational” rebreather.

I’d love to be able to dive without all the bubbles of open circuit, even though I’m not interested in technical diving or cave/overhead diving. I’d just like to dive bubble free.

I also like the idea of having a standard cylinder on my back for bailout/dil/emergency use.
Everything you said above can be accomplished with rebreathers like Triton, Choptima, FXCCR. These rebreathers will also give you more options should you choose to expand your diving horizons. Remarkably, they do not cost that much more than the GO.

When I hear the phrase "recreational rebreather" It makes me think of the Mares Horizon. And we see how well that POS turned out. About as useful as a white crayon

Can't wait to see what the next sales gimmick is for DEMA
Hey, a white crayon is very useful. I use it to mark the harmonic balancer so I can set ignition timing.

But recreational rebreather, Hollis tried that as well.

Making this up: The new ownership had to decline to produce the GO as they now own all of Mike's intellectual property. I'm guessing due to the plan to make a stacked SW configuration.

The only thing recreational about the go is the canister size. Other than that it's a fully functional breather. Given the canister is about half the size of an average unit, I could see it becoming a popular compact bailout unit.

When I hear the phrase "recreational rebreather" It makes me think of the Mares Horizon. And we see how well that POS turned out. About as useful as a white crayon

Can't wait to see what the next sales gimmick is for DEMA
Seems like the marketing phrase "recreational rebreather" has been soured for you from previous products. I believe the Mares horizon is a semi-closed rebreather, and the Go is a mixed gas mCCR. I believe it's being marketed as a recreational rebreather due to it's form factor, size, & scrubber capacity lending itself to diving within recreational depth and NDL limits. I've been trying to follow this since I saw Doug Ebersole using the prototype at the Dive Talk meetup in Cozumel last year. I asked him about it and at the time he said it wasn't available yet. I know there are some changes from the prototype and there are a few posts on FB showing production units as well as a few videos on the divetalk channel.

The rebreather has "fail" all over it. It is a recreational unit that is supposed to be easy, out of the box, and with probably less tech stuff that one would expect in a typical CCR. However, the manual goes into measuring O2 flow rates, etc.

I am really curious who DT guys see as customers and why DT thinks that it can succeed where other manufacturers have failed. Also, I sense this manual is a draft. It is one of the worst quality manuals that I have seen.
The manual reads pretty much like my Sport KISS manual, ironically. Similar depth limitations as well, probably from WOB.

The depth limitations is from the CMF and the O2 regulator intermediate pressure(IM). You would need a smaller CMF/needle valve and a higher IM to go deeper.

I would totally buy a “recreational” rebreather.

I’d love to be able to dive without all the bubbles of open circuit, even though I’m not interested in technical diving or cave/overhead diving. I’d just like to dive bubble free.

I also like the idea of having a standard cylinder on my back for bailout/dil/emergency use.
Only works if you are diving solo or have a group of friend who dive CC

Otherwise you are just stuck to the regular ~50 minute dives as nobody on the boat is going to wait for 1 guy who dives CC on a recreational OC trip and wants to spend more time underwater. And if you cant spend more time in the water, it makes CC completely meaningless given how much time you have to spend to prepare it before the dive and then clean after the dive vs OC

Only works if you are diving solo or have a group of friend who dive CC

Otherwise you are just stuck to the regular ~50 minute dives as nobody on the boat is going to wait for 1 guy who dives CC on a recreational OC trip and wants to spend more time underwater. And if you cant spend more time in the water, it makes CC completely meaningless given how much time you have to spend to prepare it before the dive and then clean after the dive vs OC
I generally agree but I have been doing CC dives on OC boats from time to time. Typically going deeper than rest of the group and managing TTS to be back with all the others. Other option is merging 2 dives and the surface interval into one longer dive when the boat is doing 2 dives in the same spot.

Other option is merging 2 dives and the surface interval into one longer dive when the boat is doing 2 dives in the same spot.
That's the best way to do it. Realistically, it can be a 3 hour dive if you count the OC diver's surface interval.

Back
Top Bottom