Dive shop vs. sporting store??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacoots3:
All the advise is good - if you are going past 30 feet I would buy a good mask from a
dive shop - try Dive Sports they have some quality mask for under $30.00

They sell the masks I was talking about above that are half the price and the same as the 'big brands'.

For example I got one of their Scubamax X Vision masks for $27 bucks. The same mask made by MARES is $60 bucks.

see http://www.divesports.com/mall/scubamax_msk_mk146widevision.asp

MK146xmasklg.jpg

Other choices there also. See http://www.divesports.com/IndexPages_Cat/masks_cat.htm

mike_s:
They sell the masks I was talking about above that are half the price and the same as the 'big brands'.

For example I got one of their Scubamax X Vision masks for $27 bucks. The same mask made by MARES is $60 bucks.

see http://www.divesports.com/mall/scubamax_msk_mk146widevision.asp

MK146xmasklg.jpg

Other choices there also. See http://www.divesports.com/IndexPages_Cat/masks_cat.htm

I suspect it would be more correct to say "The same mask made for MARES is $60 bucks." It is likely the exact same production line and material with a different name on it.

ucrtwf:
Hey guys,
Please educate me (so I can prove to my wife) that the LSD will have a "higher end" mask/snorkle than the Sportmart.
The cost is several times higher, it seems to me that the frames are more durable plastic, however the lens on the cheap masks claims to be tempered and the purge valves are more common (mine worked fine for 9 dives, up to 85 ft last month). I just read the post on purge valves, and most of you say it's nothing but an added part to go bad. I also know most of you guys don't give a darn about snorkles (however I do still enjoy the activity in the right spot).
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
When it comes to masks, fit is the key - I've bought masks for $25 that worked and fit great, and once paid $100 for one that was "guaranteed not to fog" - and of course did. What ever fits the best is the best deal IMHO.

My "gripe" with snorkles is when divers wear them on a wreck or current dive - you almost never see an instructor or a dive master on these dives wear them -

Jupiter31:
My "gripe" with snorkles is when divers wear them on a wreck or current dive - you almost never see an instructor or a dive master on these dives wear them -

A snorkel is a great surface tool. I use one on any non-penetration dive. When it makes sense to wear one, I do.

As for the mask-- everyone is correct, fit is most important. I am not saying that you have to spend a lot on a mask. However, supporting your LDS should be a priority.

Bob Vincent:
There is a reason dive shops are around today. To provide equipment sales with a sales person that knows what they are talking about, equipment repair, to answer your questions and to provide you with training. And it can be a place to offer vaction trips with like minded people. Every aspect they can cover. Down to a meeting place for divers, maybe an in store scuba club.

If things are a few bucks higher, isn't it worth supporting a professional dive shop that will be there when you need them?

Exactly!

I won't buy a mask without a fit check first no matter what the price, and dive shops carry enough different choices to satisfy most people. It's also a fun place to hang out and trade info/stories. The service and support it provides has proven to be well worth any extra cost on gear. I have the honor of calling my LDS folks good friends. Support your local LDS please. MHO

ucrtwf:
Hey guys,
Please educate me (so I can prove to my wife) that the LSD will have a "higher end" mask/snorkle than the Sportmart.
The cost is several times higher, it seems to me that the frames are more durable plastic, however the lens on the cheap masks claims to be tempered and the purge valves are more common (mine worked fine for 9 dives, up to 85 ft last month). I just read the post on purge valves, and most of you say it's nothing but an added part to go bad. I also know most of you guys don't give a darn about snorkles (however I do still enjoy the activity in the right spot).
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
I buy most of my equipment at the local LDS for the same reasons that I buy American made cars and refuse to shop at Wal-Mart. As a nation we are losing our manufacturing infrastructure and our access to competent high quality independent local retailers and service providers. At the LDS I do business with people who are knowledgeable, interested, helpful, friendly, excited about diving, and always willing to share advice and experiences with a newby. At the large chain stores I do business with a sloppy spaced out ignorant half wit who can't even count change. His or her advice or opinions are not only meaningless to me, but could probably sometimes be dangerous. Does it cost me a little bit more? Of course. Small local retailers can't compete dollar for dollar with the global giants and still stay in business. For me, it's worth the extra investment and the prices at my LDS (for comparable quality merchandise) are usually within 10% to 15% of the prices I see on e bay and in the discount stores. Where are we going to hang out when all the LDS's are gone? Wal-Mart? I think not.

My opinion is look at the Manufacturer and quality of the mask.....not the shop where it is sold.
USDivers is USDivers, whether you buy it at a dive shop or a convenience store.

I do believe in paying for quality gear though. I have seen lots of broken snorkels, lots of masks with broken strap connections, etc.

And as others have mentioned, the fit of a mask is very important. A $100 mask is not good if it doesn't fit your face.

On the other side of the coin, I don't mind paying a bit more to support a GOOD local dive shop. They will have more masks to try, a greater variety of snorkel designs, etc. While many people here don't like purge valves on masks, I think they are a good thing on a well made snorkel.

scubacoots3:
All the advise is good - if you are going past 30 feet I would buy a good mask from a
dive shop - try Dive Sports they have some quality mask for under $30.00

Journey On,
Scubacoots3

What does 30 feet have to do with anything?

To the OP it's really an item by item thing. I can buy my mask at the LDS for $60 or shop it around for 1/2 of the price. Just know what you are getting. There is some real value in having that wall of masks in front of you when buying your first mask. In general a mass merchandised snorkel set will not be top drawer. Then again some divers like those with small faces end up with kids great and do great.

If the lenses are tempered glass, the strap broad and solid, the buckles are robust and it FITS then it is a mask.

Pete

In response to "What does 30 feet have to do with anything?

The answer is, any certified diver knows that at 33 feet there is that little thing called an atmosphereic pressure of just a little over 14 pounds of pressure, in which many of the low end retail store bought mask will not endure. I personally have seen people have their mask crack at or below the 30 foot depth, due to the pressure at that depth. The mask that Mike posted from Dive Sports is a great example of a quality mask from a quality dive shop at a great price.

Oh and by the way FYI every 33 feet adds another atmospheric pressure. (good stuff to know if your going to be a diver)

Journey On,
Scubacoots3

scubacoots3:
In response to "What does 30 feet have to do with anything?

The answer is, any certified diver knows that at 33 feet there is that little thing called an atmosphereic pressure of just a little over 14 pounds of pressure, in which many of the low end retail store bought mask will not endure. I personally have seen people have their mask crack at or below the 30 foot depth, due to the pressure at that depth. The mask that Mike posted from Dive Sports is a great example of a quality mask from a quality dive shop at a great price.

Oh and by the way FYI every 33 feet adds another atmospheric pressure. (good stuff to know if your going to be a diver)

Journey On,
Scubacoots3

at 33' its 2 atm's-29.4psi--and the internal pressure of the mask is at the same of the external,even if not equalized properly with a severe case of mask squeeze it would not break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom