Dive shop vs. sporting store??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I dive the Atomic Ultra, and SeaVision masks, respectively. You're not going to find those at SportMart (or K-Mart, or Walmart, etc.).

I think masks are to diving what speakers are to a sound system... It's not necessarily the most technical piece, but it's ultimately what you see (or hear), that counts. (Of course, durability, fit, and finish are issues, as well).

As for regs, BCs, computers... I wouldn't consider anywhere but an LDS.

P.S. I use both purge and non-purge SeaVisions... they're both great, and problem-free. (And I have many more than 9 dives, at depths well over 85 feet, on the purge model).

I've had my US Divers Meijer end of season sale special to 120 feet with no problems. Been diving it for 2 or 3 years now too :D
Ber :lilbunny:

The only way to tell if a mask is OK is to give it a dive. What stores will take back one that you can't use due to fit? I ask that before I buy anything diving.

Wal Mart and Divers Direct will take anything back. The local dive shop here would offer "a store credit refund" except on Dive Rite. They would offer no refunds or exchanges on that brand. They also closed about a month ago.

scubacoots3:
The answer is, any certified diver knows that at 33 feet there is that little thing called an atmosphereic pressure of just a little over 14 pounds of pressure, in which many of the low end retail store bought mask will not endure. I personally have seen people have their mask crack at or below the 30 foot depth, due to the pressure at that depth. The mask that Mike posted from Dive Sports is a great example of a quality mask from a quality dive shop at a great price.

Any certified diver knows you don't have a clue what you're talking about. If you don't equalize the mask on descent, thus bringing the differential pressure to near zero, you will experience painful bruising.

That's why masks cover your nose and one reason you don't dive with goggles.

ReefHound:
Any certified diver knows you don't have a clue what you're talking about. If you don't equalize the mask on descent, thus bringing the differential pressure to near zero, you will experience painful bruising.

What he said:popcorn:

ReefHound:

Ouch!! - That hurts - but thanks for revealing some truth.
Well there seems to be some touchy feelings as to the mask question - so let me be a bit more clear as to my reply. As stated in another response when you are walking around on planet earth your are held here by 1 atm pressure, and then for every 33' you desend below water it adds another atm pressure - Yes causing a great deal of discomfort if you do not equallize the air space in your mask - But as I said before but maybe not as clear as I should have is that I have seen with my on eyes new divers or snorklers and want to be free divers hit the 20' to 30' mark and for some reason they have'nt equallized their mask (maybe excited, forgot, lost track due to holding their breath - Who knows) and lo and behold the mask cracked - now I am not talking about a major break where it was totally blown apart - but a crack.
It is my humble opinion that if you can't afford a $30.00 mask from a DS then you probally want be able to afford the rest of your gear needed.

Those of you who have been diving for a while have probally never experienced mask squeeze from not equallizing your mask, but their are a whole lot of people who have and come up with a huge face hicky and as stated before even brusies. And by your own statement about brusing it revils to me that aparently you know that this does happen sometimes. So I would want a mask that would be forgiving if I do forget. (but hey that's just me)

So if you are not one of the perfect never forget anything know it all divers and you occasionally tend forget to equallize your mask as often as you should I would definatley purchase a $30.00 mask.

Lets remember life is Good so take it easy - learn to chill out alittle and you will enjoy life and diving a lot more

Journey On,
Scoubcoots3

I understand the fears and tears in response to the LDS v. Big Box Store. It’s really emotionally charged.

In my case, I’ve bought virtually all my gear from Sports Chalet ("big box" sporting goods store on the west coast and into Arizona, Nevada, etc.) in Temecula, CA. Every piece of equipment I’ve bought has been name-brand equipment, most featured in current ads in the dive magazines. Every piece of equipment has been bought at a substantial discount. The people who work at the store I frequent are knowledgeable divers themselves; many of them have many years of diving under their belts. The advise and assistance I’ve been given there are top notch and I’ve made friends of the staff and management. . I’ve even been diving with some of them! The selection of gear across a broad range of prices at my Sports Chalet is far superior to that of any of the other LDS in our area.

On the other hand, of the three other nearby LDS, one insisted that ANYTHING I bought from ANY other store was junk and should be replaced IMMEDIATELY or face CERTAIN death (emphasis theirs). I walked out IMMEDIATELY! From one of the other stores I have seen many mistakes and failures in equipment they’ve set up. I’ve repaired, re-set up and replaced parts on equipment for which this other store charged big dollars. I’m talking about pinched "O"-rings, nicked hoses, an upside down first stage and an overly long hose on a BC integrated octo (by feet, not inches). The last store has incredibly knowledgeable staff and offers terrific service. Unfortunately, they only carry two or three of each item (2 or 3 masks, 2 or 3 regs, order wetsuits&#8230:wink:.

Say what you want. Make generalizations. I’ll stick with buying my gear at my Sports Chalet. I get great advise without hearing others run down. I feel safer with set-ups and repairs. I have a much bigger selection at a great price and they stand behind what they sell. As others have said, this equipment is LIFE SUPPORT.

Sorry, I just copied your "any certified diver knows..." approach to show how condescending it sounds. We know about depth and pressure.

I don't know of any $30 mask at my LDS. Maybe $50 for a bottom end model or one in the clearance bin. There are good $30 masks available online, though. And many large sporting goods stores carry higher end models, not just the toys for the kiddies at the pool.

I've never seen a mask frame crack from 30' depth. Maybe it was already cracked from mishandling? But in the end, unless the sporting goods store is carrying a higher end model I would recommend getting the mask at the LDS if they will compete on price, or an online LDS if they won't.

ReefHound:
Sorry, I just copied your "any certified diver knows..." approach to show how condescending it sounds. We know about depth and pressure.

I don't know of any $30 mask at my LDS. Maybe $50 for a bottom end model or one in the clearance bin. There are good $30 masks available online, though. And many large sporting goods stores carry higher end models, not just the toys for the kiddies at the pool.

I've never seen a mask frame crack from 30' depth. Maybe it was already cracked from mishandling? But in the end, unless the sporting goods store is carrying a higher end model I would recommend getting the mask at the LDS if they will compete on price, or an online LDS if they won't.

Hey ReefHound and anyone else allow me to be the one to apologize, it was not my intention to sound condesending at all; and after you called me on this I went back and looked at it and I can see where you were coming from, so I thank you for that. I have no problem with correction - it's how we truly learn if we are open to it.

I agree with your statement "But in the end, unless the sporting goods store is carrying a higher end model I would recommend getting the mask at the LDS if they will compete on price, or an online LDS if they won't"

Sorry you don't have a LDS in your area that competes with the online market. I use Dive Sports in Decatur Alabama. Great deals and coustomer service.

I am going back to edit the post, thanks again and see ya around the board.

Journey On,
Scubacoots3

I also apologize for assuming you were a troll or a LDS employee who signed on for the purpose of promoting the LDS. I see that a lot and hard to respect. I'm getting too cynical for myself, been outa the water too long.

Dive Sports is a great eLDS. I wish I had something like that local, at least ScubaToys is just 4 hours away, day trip range. And USPS works well, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom