Dive Rite BP/Wing Combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marcos

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at a good deal of $330 for Dive Rite SS BP and Trek Wing #40 wing combo. I'm looking for a goog BP/Wing set up for wreck diving in the north atlantic and versitile enough to bring down to the tropics as well. Is this a good set up? Any advice is appreciated.

Depends on the tank(s) you're diving.

Single: go with a Venture wing
Double AL80s or light steels: Trek
Double heavy steels: Classic

It's a good deal, just get the correct wing.

Ben

Thanks for the quick reply first off. When wreck diving in the north atlantic off the NJ coast in a dry suit or my 7mm wet suit I dive with a steel 120 + a 30 cu. ft. pony bottle. In the tropics I'll be using a AL 80 most of the time. The guy at the shop said I should use the Trek Wing #40. It's either that or the Pioneer #30. Which harness would you recommend and would give this Dive Rite set up a good review?

The Venture wing should be able to handle that properly weighted, unless you and your setup are very negative.

Don't buy a wing designed for two things, the Trek is great for light doubles, that's it, the Rec is a waste of money. Skip the transplate too, also a waste.

Ben

Some people dont have the luxury of buying 2 wings. Why is the transplate a waste? please explain your critique.

Diving isn't cheap, the cost of an extra wing is nothing compared to the money invested in training and trips, or other equipment for that matter (doubles and a cannister light). A dual-purpose wing does neither adequately, the reasons against them have been discussed at length already.

A simple webbing harness, is cheap to buy, even cheaper to replace, is the most durable and has no failure points. This has also been discussed elsewhere.

Ben

Marcos:
Thanks for the quick reply first off. When wreck diving in the north atlantic off the NJ coast in a dry suit or my 7mm wet suit I dive with a steel 120 + a 30 cu. ft. pony bottle. In the tropics I'll be using a AL 80 most of the time. The guy at the shop said I should use the Trek Wing #40. It's either that or the Pioneer #30. Which harness would you recommend and would give this Dive Rite set up a good review?

i think a trek wing for this config would be ok..you don´t need 2 wings (saving $$$ for a new computer for example)....maybe i´ll get a rec wing i have one since long time ago with single tanks, stage bottles, doubles, etc..good results....a small wing like venture, pioneer, eclipse, oxycheq, etc are a little better for single tanks but are too small for heavy singles with stage tanks...

buying a rec wing have the advantage to be ready to be used with doubles in the future but for your config a trek (properly weighted) is more than enough...

I agress with OneBrightGator, the trek wing isn ot suitable for single tanks. Using it defeats the purpose of using a bp/wing, which a big part of his being streamlined, and when you dive a wing that is too big for your tank you get the taco effect, which is not streamlined at all and creates drag.

I can say this from experience cuz I used the trek wing with singles and it S**ked big time. It was hard to release air wiht the rear dump, it wrapped the tank, wings flapping in the current, just a bad experience all round. I use it now for double al80's and my double lp 85's.

I would recommend getting a wing made just for singles, you'll be much happier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom