Dive Rite BP/Wing Combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

will_tekkie:
i think a trek wing for this config would be ok..you don´t need 2 wings (saving $$$ for a new computer for example)....maybe i´ll get a rec wing i have one since long time ago with single tanks, stage bottles, doubles, etc..good results....a small wing like venture, pioneer, eclipse, oxycheq, etc are a little better for single tanks but are too small for heavy singles with stage tanks...

If you're diving with doubles and stages you've probably spent well over $5k on your equipment, what's an extra 200-300 on top of that? Think of it this way, you're buying both a poorly designed single tank and double tank wing.

Stage diving with a single backgas tank is poor planning.

Ben

Wendy:
I agress with OneBrightGator, the trek wing isn ot suitable for single tanks. Using it defeats the purpose of using a bp/wing, which a big part of his being streamlined, and when you dive a wing that is too big for your tank you get the taco effect, which is not streamlined at all and creates drag.

I can say this from experience cuz I used the trek wing with singles and it S**ked big time. It was hard to release air wiht the rear dump, it wrapped the tank, wings flapping in the current, just a bad experience all round. I use it now for double al80's and my double lp 85's.

I would recommend getting a wing made just for singles, you'll be much happier.

i´ve dove with several wings..i can say than a rec or trek wing is a good choice for single tanks if heavy ones with stages are also used on the same wing. It´s not the best but is a good compromise option....my rec wing perform as well as a travel, venture or eclipse one ( i have a one of this as well )....i only have to say that the last ones have a little better bouyancy performance due to the smaller size and reduced size...but are not able to perform with heavy singles and stages usual in some dives (mid deep) using EAN for deco...a rec wing is better than a jacket BC for example...buying several wings are not sometimes the best option..you don´t change to slip tires in your car for the highway and other set for mud ....

´P.S. i´ve never used the rear relief valve in any BC i´ve used(i vent the bladders using the main hose) ..this is used only as pressure relief in case it would be needed...so its performance or usage is something not very important for me at least...

OneBrightGator:
If you're diving with doubles and stages you've probably spent well over $5k on your equipment, what's an extra 200-300 on top of that? Think of it this way, you're buying both a poorly designed single tank and double tank wing.

Ben

i don´t agree with you...some dives are well done using a single tank and some people like to use a pony as a way to improve their deco or their safety stop....so i would not say that these dives are bad performed..as say the DIR guys less is better...in some cases dives can be performed with simple rig wth safety..all depends on the dive itself and its requirements with less weight, less inertia and more streamlined...these dives are not very deep with extended deco...

I don´t know where did you get you gear ..but for 5000 dolars i got my dolphin RB and did its modification to a full closed RB (using a kiss inyection circuit)...

Thanks for all the advice, but I'm still confused. I'm going to the shop tomorrow to pick up my Dive Rite BP/Wing setup. As I said earlier I want a system that can support my north atlantic wreck diving config with a steel 120 + a 30 cu ft. pony bottle attached directly to the side of the 120. I'm going on a blackbeard's liveaboard next week where I'll be using an AL 80. I want a rig that can do both. Right now I''m leaning toward the Trek Wing. I think I would want a little too much lift then not enough, but again I don't want overkill where I'll run into the problems Wendy posted about. Please help thanks!

In Wendy's post she described the Trek Wing wrapping around the single tank and being difficult to deflate. I see it comes with a gusset-control cord which restricts the taco effect and you can control how far it expands. I wonder if you were using this device and if not maybe this will solve that problem. I'm not sure the Venture Wing will have enough guts to handle the heavy steel 120 plus the pony bottle. Should I get both for each scenerio?

OneBrightGator:

Ben

A single steel 120 with H-valve and 30Cf pony is a viable deco option. The best option? No, but indeed viable. This setup is taught as an option in the TDI Deco Procedures course. I completed my course with this setup. I have used the following example in several posts but - a 25 min dive to 160' can be done with a steel 120 and a 30CF deco bottle following the rule of thirds. You can do a decent dive with 120CF of back gas depending upon your SAC rate of course.

--Matt

Marcos:
In Wendy's post she described the Trek Wing wrapping around the single tank and being difficult to deflate. I see it comes with a gusset-control cord which restricts the taco effect and you can control how far it expands. I wonder if you were using this device and if not maybe this will solve that problem. I'm not sure the Venture Wing will have enough guts to handle the heavy steel 120 plus the pony bottle. Should I get both for each scenerio?

Marcos - If you can afford both then by all means do so but two wings can be overkill. I dive the Trek wing with the configuration you use _ HP120 and pony- in the great lakes. my comments:

With heavier (non-ditchable weight) tanks, the additional weight required to compensate for cold water drysuit/wetsuit and extra gear - ponies, reels etc- it is nice to have a little extra lift. You prolly require exactly 36.2645387665432109# of lift, but since they don't make wings to that spec yet, you'll have to compromise. 30# might be cutting it too close 40# should work just fine.

I have never been particulrly bothered by the "taco effect" or by trapping air when using this wing up here.

I have used it in the Carribean and have had some problem with air trapping. Tightening down the bungie seemed to make it worse. It can be annoying. I think it is more noticeable in warm water because you are usually puting so little air in your bc to begin with. you notice the smaller changes. I use an 18# wing in the Carribean now and am much happier.

For what its worth, I have used that 18# wing in Lake Huron with a 7mil farmer john and steel tank w/o problem. You don't need much lift if you are "properly weighted". But who really wants to cut it that close.

Based on what you are saying , I would get the Trek.Definately not the Rec. I wouldn't bias my choice towards warm water unless I was going to dive there a lot.

to

will_tekkie:
i don´t agree with you...some dives are well done using a single tank and some people like to use a pony as a way to improve their deco or their safety stop....so i would not say that these dives are bad performed..as say the DIR guys less is better...in some cases dives can be performed with simple rig wth safety..all depends on the dive itself and its requirements with less weight, less inertia and more streamlined...these dives are not very deep with extended deco...

You need to clarify what you mean, a pony with a single backgas tank is fine, deco bottle intended for true deco diving then a single tank is not because of the non-redundancy in the tank neck o-ring and burst disk. A small set of doubles, 72s or 80s, even 63's would be a better choice.

Ben

Marcos:

Marcos, diving that rig balanced you only need approx. 23 lbs of lift (your gas weighs just over 11 pounds), so if done right the Venture will work just fine for you.

Ben

OneBrightGator:
You need to clarify what you mean, a pony with a single backgas tank is fine, deco bottle intended for true deco diving then a single tank is not because of the non-redundancy in the tank neck o-ring and burst disk. A small set of doubles, 72s or 80s, even 63's would be a better choice.

Ben[/QUOTe

a single tank with a H valve is a viable option for light deco and stage bottle is only a way to increace safety and improve your "light" deco obligation..i can´t see something bad in this....i´ve never seen a neck oring failure in my life...the burst disk is something not used here ( in US is a must due to DOT regulations) i changed for a plug...by the way..you buddy has enough reserve for you in case it is needed....remember this config is just for light deco not for deep trimix diving...i´m agree that doubles are better but a single for some dives are possible as well...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom