Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sat 4/24: 2 dives

Time: 1105 - 1255
Max Depth: 20'
Temp Surf/depth (deg F):73/70
Visibility: 3' before the blocks, increasing to 8'-10' as depth increased
Tide Prediction: High ~ 1015, Low ~ 1630
Wind: SE (5 -10 kt?)
Surf: 2'-4'
Drift algae: Particles in the water inward of blocks and outside toward end of dive

Medium surge and light current. Lots of new sand and a surprising number of fish. Some of the blocks were buried to mid point. Light dusting of silt everywhere made it tough to search. Found a nice 1" hemi (surprised in this area), mammoth frag (mammofrag? fragoth?), and a nice mostly intact vertebra, bits and pieces otherwise. Found another turtle fossil embedded in the clay. Left it.

Time: 1436 - 1630
Max Depth: 22' (swam WAY out looking for no silt)
Temp Surf/depth (deg F): 79/72 with pockets of colder water, but it's warming up!
Visibility: 0'-1' before the cochina, increasing to 6' as depth increased
Tide Prediction: High ~ 1015, Low ~ 1630
Wind: SE (10 -15 kt?)
Surf: 3'-5' with small caps past 100 yards
Drift algae: Particles in the water (think medium snowfall)

Saw a couple of NetDocs friends coming out as I was on the way in. Might have skipped the dive had it not been for their report on conditions. Thanks guys!
Heavy surge and light current. Lots of fish - 3 decent flounder (no spear) and a bunch of sheepshead that hung very close to me all through the dive. Thick layer of bio-silt (slimy) up to 5" thick in places. Lots of new sand. Found a few fossil deposits and some teeth. Nothing special.

Headed home at COB. Winds were supposed to pick up; and that coupled with the silt made it dicey for Sunday. Hope I was wrong for any of you Sunday divers.

May 1st
Venice "boneyard"

Air Temp: 89
Water Temp-surface: 72
Water Temp - bttm: 72
Viz============2-4 ft
Tide: Incoming
Surf: 3 to 4 feet

Water has really warmed up in one weeks time no more thermocline !!!!
A couple of dive computer read 75 but I figured surface on finder stated 72
so I feel same as surface.
winds picked up from 10-12 knts in morning to at least 15kts by 11:30 vis went down by 11 to 2 feet

Vis was gone on the fossil bed this morning May 2nd. Beach is zero this morning as well. Hopefully these winds will die down soon! The water warmed up plenty yesterday with air temps near 90.

3 May 10
Service Club

Air temp: 88
Water Temp: 74
Surf: 3 ft breakers
Tide: incoming
Vizibility: 0 ft
Wind: SW 10-15mph

Called dive after 15 minutes, the water was the color of pistachio pudding!

Last edited:
dove m-10 Barge today 64 feet water temp 73 on surface, thermocline bottom 15 feet
temp dropped to temp 67, vis went from top of 40 feet to bottom area maybe 5-8 feet

hit boneyard second dive 24 feet water temp 73 top 18 feet really clear bottom 5 feet silt cloud(you could see the silt cloud as you decended) vis dropped to 2 feet .

image beach still pretty silted:shakehead:

Here's a picture of the visibility today. First picture shows the vis in the morning. The second shows it in the afternoon. It went from 12" (meaning my regulator was almost touching the ground) to about 2' and then back down to 12" by the end of the day. I'll try to get a picture of the silt layer tomorrow. Sadly the silt layer only seemed to be around the chunky areas. The sandy area's had great visibility :idk: Hope that helps. Monday's east winds hopefully will help to change this for next weekend.

This was just over a mile off of Venice Beach in about 29'. Visibility declined the closer to shore I went.

Morning Vis
IMG_09592.JPG

Afternoon Vis
IMG_09601.JPG

Last edited:
went out sat the 8th. did 2 dives.

Dive # Temp surface Bottom Time Thermocline Viz Tide Depth
#1 80 76 9:00 yes 2-3' incoming 18'-21'
#2 81 76 11:30 yes 4'-6' outgoing 22'-25'

Did both dives without wet suit... was cool but felt good...
bottom times were 1:16 and 1:35 found about 10 partials
and alot of smallies. seas were 1'-2' mostly 1' ers light chop
winds out of WnW.. This week looks to improve in conditions....:D

We were out Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was similar conditions to what Rick posted. Sunday the temps were 80 on top and 77 at the bottom. Vis was 2 to 12 ft across the bottom and silty. 3 mil wetsuits were fine.

Site Location: Boneyard +/-
Water Temp: 80 @ 25 ft
Vizibility: 8-10
Tide state: nearing high
Wind direction and strength: SE at a pretty good clip
Surf: 2' +/-
Presence of drift algae: fairly snotty

Great conditions and fun to be under water again but no great finds worth posting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom