Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6/2/13
Venice Pier
10 AM
Winds E 5 mph, swell SSW
Tide outgoing
since we were from 6-13 ft, very silty and low viz, maybe 2 ft at very best
Temp 81
aside from this being a clean up and finding lots of hooks, lead and fishing gear, i found a 20 mph speed limit sign offmthe end of the Pier. A few crab traps were so buried, we could not get them out.

6/2/13
Service Club
Time 10:45 am
Wind ESE @ 10
Seas 1'+
Water Temp 81
Vis 3'-6'
Quick dive after the pier clean-up
Finds
001_crop.jpg

So I went with a friend of mine to brave the conditions today out off Alhambra. Pleasantly surprised by the visibility. Got in the water around 12:30 PM. It was raining on us as we swam out but the viz was probably in the neighborhood of 6-10 feet. Pretty useable. Found a tiny tooth almost immediately and a frag a minute later. Played with a stone crab for a bit and after looking around some more hit the jackpot. Found an intact 4.75" tooth. Was pretty stoked. Was in 26-27 feet of water most of the dive. Here are the pics and video.
PreClean.jpgCombo.jpg20130603_214722.jpg

Here's the link to the video:
Venice Dive - Alhambra - Shark Tooth - 4 75 inch Megalodon + Stone Crab - 6-03-2013 - YouTube

6/2/13
Venice Pier
10 AM
Winds E 5 mph, swell SSW
Tide outgoing
since we were from 6-13 ft, very silty and low viz, maybe 2 ft at very best
Temp 81
aside from this being a clean up and finding lots of hooks, lead and fishing gear, i found a 20 mph speed limit sign offmthe end of the Pier. A few crab traps were so buried, we could not get them out.

How deep is it at the end of the pier?

At lower tide, 13-15 at best

I will be more than happy if I can get that kinda viz last week of June first week of July. Gonna be diving solo alot. Hope it holds up.

Well I went out yesterday and just free dove at around 15 feet and while touching the bottom couldn't see my hand. Today was much clearer than yesterday, but still not much to work with.

Today a buddy and I went out around 10ish - 1:30 PM. At 21 feet viz was between 6" and a foot and a half. Swam out a good deal farther and visibility was hit and miss. At times it was less than a foot. Other times where there was a rockier bottom it might have gotten up to three feet. I would say the majority of the dive it stayed in the two foot range.

I didn't find any megs. Found a nice sand tiger. Buddy found a 1.5-2" tooth. I did find a Sprint LG cell phone minus the battery. It even has a 2 GB microSD card that I cleaned up and plugged in to my card reader. It's empty but it works! Crazy. Not sure how to figure out whose phone it is. The phone part is pretty ruined but it would be interesting to find out who lost it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom