Dive Report: Navarre Pier 09/29/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASEfl2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, everyone. Although it took a while to get into the water today, I finally made it around 2:00 this afternoon. There was a slight chop at the surface but the current was slack and the water felt great. Unfortunately I had to make a solo dive today, and this being my first solo in while made me a little anxious. No more than a minute or two after leaving the surface, in about 10 ft of vis, I began feeling as if I were being followed. I looked behind me to see this large, black, object following at the tip of my fins. It was the turtle Barry had seen the day before. The measurements were approximately the same. When I got my reg back in my mouth, from screaming, I swam around with it for a short time. The turtle would circle a few times then come right up to me, within a couple feet. It would then take off for a sec and come back. This went on for about 2 to 3 minutes and then the turtle was gone. I didn't see it the rest of the dive.

I checked my compass and headed south. After a short time, not seeing any legs from the pier, I decided to surface and see what was wrong. When I got to the surface, all I saw was open water and no pier. It turns out while playing with the turtle, the small amount of current moved me east a little and I had kicked out about 200+ ft south of the pier. This got my heart pumpin' thinking about being on the surface in Shark Alley. I quickly dove straight to the bottom and headed north to the pier.

Once I got to the end of the pier I noticed that the vis about 10ft in the open and about 2 to 5ft around the rubble. I made a quick attempt at looking for some sea life around the rubble, but was not very successfull. On my way in I ran into a couple Sheepshead and a small Grouper, but that was it. When I surfaced I noticed another diver heading to the beach with a speargun. I assume he probably didn't help the vis much either. He said this morning he made a dive and the vis was about 15ft all around.

Anyway. I cant say this was the most enjoyable dive I've ever had, but all together, I had a great time. I would say the Navarre Pier Turtle made the dive, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Thanks for the report! Awesome that you got a turtle encounter. Those make the dive for me!

I've yet to see a shark at Navarre Pier, though I mostly dive it at night.

I'd be worried about a spearo in the water with me though. Might tell the guy next time that's not legal to spearfish from shore at that location.

I too had a BLAST at the pier!

I saw the Angel Fish but not her brood. The Turtle was hiding along one of the East west pilings half covered from all that crud that was settled on the sea floor, all I could see was his head and when I went to see just what it was.... I jumped back when that little head turned into a much larger animal..... About 2.5 feet across, possibly a little larger.

Saw the Scorpion fish but missed the Octopus, or Octopi in this case. Over all GREAT weekend of diving. My Buddies weren't thrilled about the amount of kicking that was required to get out, I call it exercise :D, and would rather dive from a boat..... I'm not seeing the cost benefits of that either.

I grew up in South Florida and have been snorkeling since I was a little kid. Swimming in the ocean (Gulf) is nothing but a thing to me.

I'm going out of town the next two weekends but I might just have to make another dive before the Temps dip down much lower. I was comfortable in my 3mm But much more than.... who knows.... I might have to work on increasing my tolerance to cold this season. :D

Hee Hee... Yeah.... I LOVED the dive but I'm going to have to overcome the dive from Cantonment... 40 miles.

I'll be back for sure, it was worth it.

Hee Hee... Yeah.... I LOVED the dive but I'm going to have to overcome the dive from Cantonment... 40 miles.

I'll be back for sure, it was worth it.

Even in your truck 40 miles of gas is a lot cheaper than boat gas or a charter! It's all realtive! Of course that is easy for me to say since I don't pay for my gas (Company Car).

Hetland, You recovered for some diving this weekend? Let me know if you're thinking about coming over.

Hetland, You recovered for some diving this weekend? Let me know if you're thinking about coming over.

I'm on the mend. If I continue my current course, I should be able to make it (no 4ft seas tho :wink: ) Glen, and possibly his wife are interested in heading your way too. I'll probably leave the boat at home, but I'm open to whatever you want to try.

-ap

Nice report. I have been considering diving the Navarre pier sometime. Do you just enter along the side of the pier? What is the parking situation there? Do you have a long hike like the Destin Jetties? Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom