dive planning @ 300' cont.from D&T

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes Meng, I did the dive. I will say that the cont. plan with lost gas senarios is un-nerving. And quite frankly I can't remember if there was O2 from that paticular boat. The reason we used the gases and tanks we did was because that was all that was available in Grand Caymen. If you ever get the chance to go to Techweek go its a blast. A great group or people both show up and run DiveTech

Yes Meng, I did the dive. I will say that the cont. plan with lost gas senarios is un-nerving. And quite frankly I can't remember if there was O2 from that paticular boat. The reason we used the gases and tanks we did was because that was all that was available in Grand Caymen. If you ever get the chance to go to Techweek go its a blast. A great group or people both show up and run DiveTech

You are more of a man than I am.

Can you recalculate the dive with loss of all deco gas and no buddy? I am curious to see what DecoPlanner gives to run the entire dive on BG on your own.

Just wondering, how many failures can you plan contingencies for in one dive?
Loss of both deco gases seems a little far fetched to me.

Well, we were 'couch diving'.

Loosing both 32 and 80 would not be that far fetched? I agree that also loosing surface supplied 100% would be as I indicated in my first response on this.

How many contingencies can you plan for? As many as you are not willing to accept the negative outcome for. Is it realistic? Maybe, maybe not.

But when you do analyze things in the abstract, why not thoroughly do that so there is an examination of implications and variations. Only this way can you ensure you see and understand the limits of both practicality and reality.

Well, we were 'couch diving'.

Loosing both 32 and 80 would not be that far fetched? I agree that also loosing surface supplied 100% would be as I indicated in my first response on this.

How many contingencies can you plan for? As many as you are not willing to accept the negative outcome for. Is it realistic? Maybe, maybe not.

But when you do analyze things in the abstract, why not thoroughly do that so there is an examination of implications and variations. Only this way can you ensure you see and understand the limits of both practicality and reality.

Well put.

Everything does need to be looked at. Yeah you might not be able to find your way back to the O2 below the boat. You might not physically loose both deco gases, but you may have a failure. I might get hit by a bus crossing the street to the dive and not even have to worry about making the dive.

Like you said it all comes down to what your willing to accept. Of course within reason and not being compeletly reckless. Many years of safe and happy diving to ya.:)

When a person is in an area where logistics can be difficult they may choose to do a dive that is less than ideal. This dive is way to far from my ideal for me to consider it, but to each their own.

What would be your ideal plan for this dive (300' for 10min)?

I would use 12/60 or 10/70 back gas and a stage. With at least three deco gases 21/35, 50%, and 100%.

Those sound like pretty good choices, minus leaving a bottle somewhere if thats what you mean by "stage" but all things being equal I would rather be on a rebreather. All I can say is thank you Nancy for including all fills in the pricing

Yeah with O2 @ 20' from the boat you might make it, but I think I would rather be dead than have a runtime of 778 minutes.

(and I would still carry an AL40 of Oxygen in case I get blown away in a current from my surface supplied O2 source).

Loss of the boat would be a major concern.

Those sound like pretty good choices, minus leaving a bottle somewhere if thats what you mean by "stage" but all things being equal I would rather be on a rebreather. All I can say is thank you Nancy for including all fills in the pricing

stage = an al80 of backgas mix breathed first before switching to backgas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom