Dive Ops near Marriott? Rent a Car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpz

Registered
Reaction score
I will be heading down to Cayman Islands in Feb and will be staying in the Marriott on the Seven Mile Beach. Can you all give me some information on these two questions:

1) Is there a dive op on site or do you know of one who would pickup here? I have only dove at Cozumel, so I do not know how Grand Cayman dive ops work.

2) Would you recommend renting a car or getting around someway else? We do want to see all the island has to offer--so I was just thinking I better start practicing driving on the other side of the road!!

Thank you in advance all!

1. I'm not sure if there's a dive op on site at the Marriott but I don't think it will be a problem finding one in the area as you are in the middle of everything and most dive shops should be able to pick you up.

2. Although it's a small island I would still recommend renting a car so you can at least do some shore dives and/or excursions to the more secluded parts of the island. I've heard good things about Andy's Car Rental.

Enjoy.

We stayed at the Marriott Beach Resort on 7 mile a couple of years ago. Red Sail Sports had a small shop there. I f think their bigger shop was located at another hotel. I was happy with their operation and would use them again.

If your budget can afford it, I do suggest renting a car, at least for a few days so that you can explore the east end and Rum Point. I highly recommend it.

There are loads of dive operators in the area of the Marriott, so car or no-car, don't worry about that.

M.

Hi cpz,

Most operators will pick you up and drop you at your hotel. There is a lot of information on the many potential operators in this section. PM me if you'd like my opinions.

We always rent a car on Grand Cayman, highly recommended for shopping, eating, touristing around. You'll have a great time, too bad you have so long to wait.

Good diving, Craig

Renting a car or not depends on how much time you want to spend in and around the resort. As I recall, the road in front of the Marriott is woefully inadequate for the amount of traffic it handles, so if you're happy staying "at home", skip the car.

If you decide you want a rental car, you can always get one. I know Andy's will send a shuttle to pick you up and take you to their SMB location. I would guess that if they do the competition does as well. If you're taking a laptop with you you can still book a car on-line once you're there.

Yes, Red Sail has the watersports operation at the Marriott. For diving they still pick you up by van and drive you to catch the boat. There are no boat departures from the Marriott.

Most any other dive operation on the west side of the island will also pick up and drive you to meet their boat.

Ambassador Divers is located next door at the Comfort Suites hotel. Great dive op.

The last time I was in Cayman we stayed at the Marriott and dove with Dive 'n Stuff. They picked us up on the beach at the hotel. It was very convenient and Dive 'n Stuff was great.

Would definitely recommend renting a car if you want to do more than dive and lay on the beach. We usually make an initial stop at the grocery store for bottled water and snacks/fruit before heading to the hotel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom