Dive Op emailing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some OPs don't have a shop or staff that answer phones or email. They are owner/operator/divemaster and are out on the boat all day. So don't expect an answer right away but they should answer within a day. My OP does his mail every night about 8 PM. Also no problem with payment, although he takes cash only on the Island, he will take paypal to his personal email so there is no service charge (select send to friend.) Just find internet connection on the Island and use your Paypal, no giving your CC # or ATM on the Island.
Cozumel Scuba Diving | Go diving in Cozumel with BottomTimeDivers dive operator

...he will take paypal to his personal email so there is no service charge (select send to friend.) Just find internet connection on the Island and use your Paypal, no giving your CC # or ATM on the Island.
From: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/h...862&topicID=MY_PAYPAL_CREDIT_ACCOUNT_HC&m=TCI
When you use PayPal Credit to Send Money, there’s a fee of 2.9% + $0.30 USD per transaction. This fee is included in your payment total. It’s the same fee you pay when you use a debit or credit card to Send Money through PayPal.

In the early years we used Papa Hogs, Blue Angel and our very first trip was with Scuba Club (not a good experience diving with them, but that's a whole different subject!!) All were prompt on emailing responses. In 2004 we started diving with Scuba With Alison and in all the years since we've never had an issue with her response time. (And as old gaffer pointed out, she DOES do EVERYTHING but captain the boat, and I know she still responds to emails usually twice a day!!)

And with regard to other ops, if they didn't respond in a timely manner, or if they didn't want to confirm my reservation when I wanted to make it initially, I'd move on. Considering we pay a large chunk of change on airfare and hotel, I want to know my diving is confirmed at the same time as I shell out for airlines tickets and hotel deposits, etc. I'd be really pissed if I had everything set, and a week before travel the dive op suddenly can't confirm my reservation.

Try getting a response to an email or a web form when you're in the UK - it's as if you were speaking a different language! :wink:

I tried 4 different operators before a recent trip (to Cancun, rather than Cozumel, to be fair) with not a single response, before deciding to just fall back on the in-resort option. Not a great idea, as it turned out. (I may post a whole new thread about that experience...)

That is a bit suspicious. Did you check your spam file? Were you using a work computer?

Thinking back over the years, I can think of 3 shops that I remember having difficulty getting timely responses. Interesting to note that all 3 have either changed ownership or completely folded.

That is a bit suspicious. Did you check your spam file? Were you using a work computer?

Home computer, and there was nothing in spam or junk. (Well, nothing about diving anyway.) I just put it down to ops in Cancun not really wanting the hassle of coordinating just 2 or 3 days diving including a cenote and Cozumel, and moved on. If I'd been coming to do 2 weeks solid diving I'd have been more persistent and tried a few others. Mind you, if I'd been coming to do 2 weeks solid diving I'd have gone to Cozumel instead!

I just booked with Jeanie at 3P's. First email from her was confirmed three minutes after I sent. Six hours went by so she could check on DIN tanks for me and get all information compiled. The next morning I was booked with PayPal payment sent.
It took less than 20 hours total. Pretty simple and fast.

Interesting and timely thread. I am planning my second trip to Coz. Wanted to use the op that I used last time, since I was extremely happy with their service. The initial communication was not too bad, but it has been over 30 days since I sent in a deposit, with multiple requests for confirmation with no response. I get an 'automated reply' each time, so I know the email is going through. I also tried their 'alternate' gmail email account with no success. I did get initial emails, so I also know there isn't a spam or other issue on my end. Unacceptable. I am reluctantly looking for a different dive shop now.

Interesting and timely thread. I am planning my second trip to Coz. Wanted to use the op that I used last time, since I was extremely happy with their service. The initial communication was not too bad, but it has been over 30 days since I sent in a deposit, with multiple requests for confirmation with no response. I get an 'automated reply' each time, so I know the email is going through. I also tried their 'alternate' gmail email account with no success. I did get initial emails, so I also know there isn't a spam or other issue on my end. Unacceptable. I am reluctantly looking for a different dive shop now.
To avoid losing your deposit, why don't you try telephoning?

I'm a huge fan of having everything set up well in advance, and also shop around for what I consider the best deal in Cozumel. All of the major shops have had great communication within. 24 to 48 hours. On our last trip, Yval with BlueMagic was in almost constant email contact with us as American Airlines was doing their best to cost us a day of diving. Ended up meeting the boat on time, but Yval was ready to make something work if we didn't.

Im sure that there were some shops I emailed that did not respond timely, but it didn't matter since the overwhelming majority had great communication. I think we reserved spots with a credit card and paid cash for the balance there. I have no doubt that every shop we dealt with would allow us to online credit card pay if cash was going to be an issue as long as we let them know in advance. The competition is just two great not to accommodate reasonable requests from customers, if you don't, someone else will for the same price, maybe less. While we all have our favorite shops ( Blue Magic and DWM rah rah rah) the truth is that most ops will give great service and95% go to the same dive spots where the diving is going to be great. If you go with a popular shop, you're going to have a great time regardless who you choose.

Safe travels, see you at the Thirsty Cougar!!

Jay

Back
Top Bottom