Dive Master... why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I plan on taking a Dive Master (SSI Dive Controller) this year as a way of expanding my knowledge as a diver.

I have met many people in the dive industry, ranging from the average recreational diver, instructors and even a couple of the "crazy" Navy clearance divers.
Many of them have chosen there paths for different reasons, but they all love to dive.

I really enjoy diving, if I manage to complete my DM this year, then I'll be a safer and more confident diver. While DM is not a pathway to doing Tech or cave diving, I want a greater understanding of the whole descion making process behind planning dives, leading dives and keeping everyone safe and happy. This will help me in the future whether or not I do go tech diving, go instructor or just stay on land.

I was recently certified as a DiveCon (combo DM/Asst Instr.), and initially did it as a "next step" in my overall training and experience. I've since come to actually enjoy working with students in the ocean, and I analyze my diving more than ever now (not OCD micromanaging, but I'm just much more aware of everything I do).
DiveCons are required to work through a specific shop/organization however, there is no freelancing allowed if you're representing the agency in a professional capacity; something to seriously consider if you don't really dig your local shop - you essentially become a part-time contractor for them, and will have to follow their store policies and protocols.
(The gear discounts are nice though!)

As far as just developing as a diver, it's already been said - go dive. (Do get EANx certified though, it's useful on some trips.)

I faced the same question many years ago after I began DM training. I realized that I didn't want to teach or lead. I wanted to dive for my own personal enjoyment. So I dropped out of the class and have been very happy with that decision I made 23 years ago!

Dive Master is great for those who want to help others, lead/assist dives, and progress up the professional ranks of your agency.

If you want to improve your skills or increase your knowledge, there are better paths.

For in water skills, I recommend a UTD Essentials, GUE Fundamentals, or similar course. The DM requirement is to have demonstration quality skills. However, for most shops, this means demonstration quality skills on your knees. This is not the way I dive, and it had very little relevance to my day-to-day diving.

For diving knowledge, I recommend the various books on diving and decompression. For example, Deco for Divers is a very interesting read, and much more information you'll ever get in a dive master program. If you're interested in the knowledge part of the dive master program, many of the required reading books are available for everyone. For example, PADI's Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving can be purchased in any LDS. Though, I personally like Dennis Graver's Scuba Diving book more.

Unless you want to lead dives there really is no reason to get DM. Get your Rescue Diver Certification. I have been told by a lot of divers that I respect that it is a really great course and will really help with skills and confidence. Then go where your interests take you. There are so many directions you can go in this sport I think it should be almost impossible for anyone to ever get bored with it. :D

If you have no interest in leading divers or working in diving the DM class is a waste of time and energy. There are many options to increase diving knowledge and many much better classes to increase your diving ability.

NAUI Master Diver Class- great way to increase knowledge level and polish skills (This is a class not a collection of specialties)
a full Rescue Class from any agency- increase awareness
Fundies, Essentials or other intro to tech class- GUE, UDT, NAUI, TDI among others
Nitrox
Intro Cave
there are many ways to increase your diving and knowledge besides DM

Although PADI AOW seemed almost pointless to me ("Advanced"?--really?), PADI Rescue Diver was a great decision. My course was a fairly intense 4 days (including the EFR/First Aid course), and we practiced and practiced our skills. We were constantly in and out of the water and worn out by the end. By learning how to help others, I became much more confident in being able to help myself, which to me is even more important. Anyway, this leads to the question that I asked myself of whether I wanted to continue on to Divemaster. I had no ambitions to lead groups of divers professionally, which is what a DM does. After literally a couple of years of deliberation, I just couldn't think of a good reason to take the DM course. Poor reasons included personal satisfaction--an achievement to pat myself on the back for. But I realized that I could use the money that would have been spent on the course to further my diving in other ways. I could simply do some more dives. I could buy books through which I could increase my technical knowledge. As others have remarked on this thread, a tech diving course would probably teach things that would be useful to any diver. Lastly, I wondered whether being labeled a "Divemaster" might give others the impression that I am more experienced than I am. Unless one is in the water every day as a professional DM, one isn't going to rack up the number of dives that I tend to think of a "divemaster" as typically having. I don't really have that many dives under my belt, and it doesn't seem to my advantage to have others think that I dive all the time.

Although PADI AOW seemed almost pointless to me ("Advanced"?--really?),

No, not really....

It is Advanced Open Water.

The course serves to give you a bit more supervised experience before letting you lose on the oceans, and increases your awareness of the breadth of activities available for you to investigate - once the simple thrill of being underwater and seeing 'stuff' wears off. A good instructor will use it as a vehicle to create some good skill progression also....

PADI Rescue Diver was a great decision. My course was a fairly intense 4 days (including the EFR/First Aid course), and we practiced and practiced our skills. We were constantly in and out of the water and worn out by the end. By learning how to help others, I became much more confident in being able to help myself, which to me is even more important.

Every diver should get to rescue level. That is the first level where a diver is truly proficient and independant (in respect of safety).

Anyway, this leads to the question that I asked myself of whether I wanted to continue on to Divemaster. I had no ambitions to lead groups of divers professionally, which is what a DM does.

It doesn't mean you have to lead divers professionally. I gained a great deal of enjoyment as a qualified DM simply from being the person that organized and led diving trips for my friends.

Certainly, in areas where you will generally dive without professional supervision (independant shore dives and boat charters), this this course would improve your capacity to jump into the water and look after less experienced buddies (not customers).

After literally a couple of years of deliberation, I just couldn't think of a good reason to take the DM course. Poor reasons included personal satisfaction--an achievement to pat myself on the back for. But I realized that I could use the money that would have been spent on the course to further my diving in other ways. I could simply do some more dives. I could buy books through which I could increase my technical knowledge. As others have remarked on this thread, a tech diving course would probably teach things that would be useful to any diver.

Gaining experience through diving itself should never be underestimated. Time spent in the water always pays off. However, time spent in the water where you are mentored, appraised and critiqued is especially beneficial....and this is what you get from a good instructor on a DM program.

You can get simular benefits from a Tech Course, but the timescales are shorter. Unless you continue diving with your tech 'mentor' then the long-term development benefits are not there. However, the greatest benefit of tech training is that it stretches your comfort zone, greatly increases awareness and provides a mindset of precision and personal responsibility that is often lacking greatly within recreational dive training.

Of course, Tech training is not for everyone...is expensive...and requires a high standard of basic diving ability as a prerequisite. Doing a Tech course for the wrong reasons and at the wrong time would be a costly and overly stressful experience.

Lastly, I wondered whether being labeled a "Divemaster" might give others the impression that I am more experienced than I am. Unless one is in the water every day as a professional DM, one isn't going to rack up the number of dives that I tend to think of a "divemaster" as typically having. I don't really have that many dives under my belt, and it doesn't seem to my advantage to have others think that I dive all the time.

That really is a matter of perspective. I think seasoned divers understand that a newly qualifed or non-working DM is not the same beast as a diver whose regular daily routine is 4+ dives a day.

The same 'over-expectation' could be applied to someone carrying a tech certification, or even a fundies card.

man, that was all that needed to be said. I am fairly new to diving and I just started the divemaster course because I like teaching, I'll be able to dive a lot more with my LDS and with my military background, watching out for your buddy is a way of life. Now before I get into Tech diving I do plan on taking a fundies (GUE), coupled with diving my butt off that'll build up my confidence up before I take that next step. Well at least that's my theory anyway.

I think the inclination to want to be a dive leader is a personal issue. My background (pre-dive industry) is 8 years as a military officer. I am always the sort of person who wants to take responsibility. I really enjoyed getting my DM certification because it enabled me to take many of my friends diving, when they would otherwise be sat on the sofa thinking about it. I can understand that not everyone has the same desire to be an instigator and leader.

Back
Top Bottom