Dive Master... why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solly

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, After finishing the advanced certification (in whatever agency)... what would be the need to continue to further steps if you are only doing recreational diving and not looking at it as a career to make money with.... is there any added value for the recreational diver to be a PADI dive master over being AOWD with some specialties that one would take to enhance his skills?

don't ask... just do it.
on the money part though; if you have a photo specialty (talking PADI system); you can teach the photo specialty if you're an active DM; other programs like DSD not quite sure lots of people do that, but better to check with your local dive ops.
also if you're an EFRI you can carry EFR courses if you have a sort of accord with a dive OP for students taking the RD course.

Unless you want to work with students, no, there is no real value. From a training point of view, you are much better off spending your money on specialty courses or just go diving. At the DM level your skills should already be pretty good and they are not addressed in DM. The few skills you do train on are focused on how to train a skill to someone rather than the skill itself. You know how to clear your mask, you learn the proper way to teach it to others. The class is more about working with students and managing dives than actual diving. Don't do DM for money or dive skills, do it because you like working with other divers.

The Divemaster course is very, very in-depth and will bring you up to an excellent level of diving ability, with an in-depth knowledge of theory and polished skills.

Most people who take the DM course never end up working in the scuba industry...but they do retain good diving skills and the ability to plan and lead dives.

Of course, you can obtain good skills independantly, but if you choose a good school and instructor for a DM course, then you will benefit from close personal supervision and on-going mentoring.

Also, many places offer 'internships'....and these can cover several months or longer. When you break down the amount of diving that you can achieve on these courses, they start to look like very cost-effective ways to get into the water regularly. :D

I don't think it has much added value for a recreational diver to do the DM course.

In fact, the next step after the AOW is the Rescue Diver course (before becoming DM; not too sure if you need it for the Master Diver, but I'd hope so) - and that course is absolutely worth it!! To me, every recreational diver should do it..

If you have no desire to get into a DM career, then there are other ways to get equal training without the risks/costs associated with having a DM cert (legal stuff like perceived level of care others could expect from you if they know that you are a DM, and it does not matter wether you have an official duty to them or not .. and insurance to cover things like the above)

Hello, After finishing the advanced certification (in whatever agency)... what would be the need to continue to further steps if you are only doing recreational diving and not looking at it as a career to make money with.... is there any added value for the recreational diver to be a PADI dive master over being AOWD with some specialties that one would take to enhance his skills?

As part of the executive team for a certifying agency, you might expect me to tell you to press on and take a DM course. But I'm not. Does not sound like you need it. If you have no interest in leading dives and teaching, there is little point these days.

Old school thinking is that DM was the only real option once a diver had reached a certain level of experience and comfort in the water. But that's changed. There are plenty of other options if you wish to develop your skills.

Many divers at your level explore the other side of recreational diving and take technical classes... more bottom time! Some opt to deviate from recreational and because of background or opportunity start down the Public Safety Diving pathway... giving something back to their community.

Either way, you have lots of choices.

One thing that's already been mentioned that's truly good advice is: Go Dive! Rethink your situation after you've racked up a few dozen more hours in the water gaining experience and having fun. Work on the six basic skills... and don't worry about it: just get in the water!

You will get a good grasp of the skills, physics, and other know-how when you get your DM. Don't do it for the money as I suspect many DM never earn a penny.
Divemaster does sound cooler than advanced open water diver though...

Thanks all, I just want to highlight a point, I have been AOWD for over 3 years now and I was diving as most of you suggested, but I felt it is time to stop and ask myself what would the next step be. So far I tend to go for some technical classes, may be some specialty courses, nitrox... and I am not thinking of how to make money out of it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom