Dive logs, how do you download?

How do you download your dive logs?

• I don't download logs.

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • I use the software that came with my dive computer to download logs

Votes: 58 55.2%
  • I use something else to download my logs (specify)

Votes: 26 24.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some comments among a few divers got me to wondering what the consensus is on downloading your dives.

Do you use the software that came with your dive computer to download logs to your PC/Netbook/Mac/etc.? Or do you use something else?

Why or why not?

Until recently I used the Aeris ACI software that Aeris provides for their dive computers.

My wife bought me Diving Log 5.0 for Christmas so I use that product now.

The developer who writes the Diving Log 5.0 software is very responsive to customer input and minor upgrades are free.

The Diving log 5.0 also syncs to Windows Mobile, Windows Phone 7, iPhone and Android applications. I sync Dive Log 5.0 to Android Dive Log by Rob Knapen.

Last edited:
Oceanic computers and Oceanlog software have all the functions I need.
I usually travel with a laptop and update along the way but when I'm home I print out detailed logs for each dive and keep a running hardcopy. As part of my prep before any trip I print out a new copy of my dives list which is a summary of all my dives. Whenever I've been asked for proof of activity by a dive op this has been accepted.
As an IT professional let me suggest that even if you don't need a hardcopy and the very least make a backup of your log file to a CD, DVD or external hard drive.

I use mares DiveOrganizer (which came with mi diving computer) and Diving Log software which has much more fields to complete.

I use Uwatec SmartTRAK for my SOL and Aladin Tec 2G. Never had any issues transferring the logs to PC.

Another shout out to Sven from Diving Log 5.0
He managed to help me get all my previous computer dives off' various hard drives and were all integrated into his software.
Add the weighting etc manually and I'll be syncing it it with the Iphone app when the Verizon Iphone comes in next week. That has a place for signatures right on the app, so I would imagine that will suffice as a logbook to show to operators. You can also scan in C cards, though I will be bringing the physical ones with me when I dive just in case. I would imagine that in the future an electronic version would suffice.

I also use SmartTrak for an Aladin Tec 2G, and previously with an Uwatec Smart Z. It seems ok, though I don't use a lot of the dive details available. I keep a written log as well.

I was never able to get the IR to work on my desktop, so I had to transfer via my phone, which had the TravelTrak version. Now I can't get TravelTrak to work on my new phone, but the IR works fine with my new laptop.

There is nothing like a piece of paper and pencil/pen. I've tried several times in the past at computerization of my dives and they all ended up being lost, corrupted, etc. I still have my original log book from waaay back.

Besides, at some point you may have to produce a hard copy none the less to prove experience to be able to dive a site or take a course.

Then there is the immediacy of the log book, writing it up soon after the dive. That adds to the experience. Yes, I am an old fart and proud of it. Technology is great. but it can be over applied.

Safe Diving,

Dale

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom