Dive logs, how do you download?

How do you download your dive logs?

• I don't download logs.

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • I use the software that came with my dive computer to download logs

Votes: 58 55.2%
  • I use something else to download my logs (specify)

Votes: 26 24.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm another Oceanlog user in addition to the electronic log on my laptop I backup to CD ROM. I also like having a hard copy so I print each detailed dive log and keep the hard copies in binders.
The Oceanlog software also allows me to print a log summary which I take on trips as a proof of recent activity.

I keep hand logs.....the software for the Zeagle N2ition is buggy at best and I can't see spending the money for it. Once I upgrade computers....maybe I'll start doing the computer thing...but hand works for me right now.

Why do you guys download the dive computer.

What do you use the info for?

I used to download now and then to critique my ascent profile, but after a while I no longer saw a need for that. I also downloaded a few times to calculate average depth for SAC calculations, but no longer have the need to re-re-re-verify SAC.

As far as keeping a dive log, the computer doesn't know what boat or divesite I was on, who I dove with, or what I saw. So I just keep a very simple running text file with that sort of info.

It's easy to download. I download both my Oceanic Veo 250 and Sherwood Wisdom computers. My SAC is fairly stable but there are differences I see for cold vs. warm water, and current vs. no current so I like to pay attention to that. I also like to look at the profile, and sometimes the remaining bottom time is interesting to review. Looking at the profile in detail makes me think through the dive, what maybe I should have done or would do next time. And for me it's easier to download and then just fill in a few blanks about dive site, boat, buddies etc. I don't use a paper log, my downloaded computer logs are all I have.

I use Mac-Dive on my imac to download my aeris t3 and suunto cobra. It saves me time and gets lots of details. I also print log pages to pdf to report dives for organizations, easy to email that in.

I download my computer because it remembers the dives I have done for weeks . . . which I often have trouble doing! I used to be meticulous about logging after each dive, but that has long gone by the wayside. When I download the computer, I get a list, and if I can't remember what a dive was, I can go through other sources (e-mail, Peter's log, etc.) and figure it out.

I also really liked the ability to search on a specific site, or a specific kind of dive, to figure out how many times I have done it, or to look up what my weighting was. I do a lot of travel and dive different configurations in different places, and sometimes it's difficult to remember which undergarment, which tanks and what weight I was using.

I use Diving Log 5, the uwatec software is OK, but impossible to get a satisfactory hard copy log from it.

One of the only things I really detest about the X1 is the logging software. But I use it, because the only program I know that will import X1 files is one I couldn't figure out how to work. If I could get it to give me my gas consumption information in CF instead of liters, I'd just import all the files into DiveLog and ignore the X1 software.

Diving Log 5 will download the X1 directly and give your sac in CF

... File ... Preferences and on the Units and Language Tab select imperial

I use Divelog DiveLog because the Suunto (I have a Cobra) software doesn't run on a Mac, and I will not run windows even if I could, although I can't, since my non-intel Powerbook G4 is still running fine.

I'm very aware of Macdive macdive - home, I've pointed several queries here on SB to it, and can imagine it in my future because the support for Divelog going forward looks pretty iffy. I haven't migrated because I haven't yet needed to, I'm happy with Divelog, and because of the clumsiness of Macdive wrt handling multiple divers (my wife also has a Cobra, and I do her uploads).

I also saw a post recently http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/367755-dive-manager-mac.html that says Suunto will port their SDM to Mac, available this spring. Nothing else on that on the Suunto site, or found by google search, but I'm keeping my eye on it as another option.

+++++++++++1
... I like having 2 copies of it somewhere. Case in hand, one of my logbooks got soaked on a dive boat when someone I was diving with didn't fully close the dry bag. Soaked to the point of no recovery. Bought a new book and transferred everything back into it from the Oceanic software log. Saved the day for sure!

I've mentioned this before, but it bears occasional repeating. I also keep a paper log where most of the info and all the notes go, because I don't usually take my laptop on dive trips except Florida. At the end of each trip, I do a scan of the paper log to pdf using my HP inkjet multifunction printer. At 300 dpi b/w it's very readable, and two logbook pages fit in a nominal scanned page at 1 MB per two dives. At today's storage densities for disk/DVD/usb flash drives, that's almost no space at all. The scanning takes maybe a minute per dive for a trip, counting the setup, file manipulation, etc., for say a trip of a dozen dives.

Both the scans of my paper log, the Divelog database, and print-to-pdf of the Divelog database, get backed up regularly with all my other digital life.

I also keep the pdfs (both scans and Divelog) on my iPod Touch under Air Sharing Avatron Software: Air Sharing , and I do take that overseas, so my dive logs are always with me.

As for Charlie's comments, maybe someday I'll get tired of computing my SAC or looking at my profiles, but at this point in my diving career, I still find it illuminating and interesting to look at that.

I use Diving log 5.0 Its a great program I just wish they would offer it for mac. Its a very clean program and well designed in my opinion. I used to download my Uwatec to it and never had a problem, I now download my Vyper Air to it and it runs flawlessly. My favorite feature is the iPhone app, Im waiting for an iPad app but I wont hold my breath.

I've had my Suunto D6 pretty much since OW, so it's got almost all my dives on it. I've been using the Suunto dive manager software free off the web to download my dives. It's been great to have this electronic log book on my PC which I can print out if I need to.

I use the Uwatec software. SmarTrak or something. It's terrible. Poor UI, buggy, but works.

Why do you guys download the dive computer.

What do you use the info for?

Mostly to remember the depths of various uncommon dives. If someone decides "hey let's go dive Wreck X," something I dove 4 years ago and have all but forgotten, I can check my log against site descriptions when planning gases, etc..

Back
Top Bottom