Dive logs, how do you download?

How do you download your dive logs?

• I don't download logs.

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • I use the software that came with my dive computer to download logs

Votes: 58 55.2%
  • I use something else to download my logs (specify)

Votes: 26 24.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Some comments among a few divers got me to wondering what the consensus is on downloading your dives.

Do you use the software that came with your dive computer to download logs to your PC/Netbook/Mac/etc.? Or do you use something else?

Why or why not?

I use the Oceanic software. It's just to easy not to. I also keep a hand log as well.

The Suunto software does a great job of keeping all my dive info in one spot, so I use it. I think it's a good piece of software that does the job it was designed to do.

My favorite logging app is Sensus Manager, which is freely downloadable on the Reefnet.ca website. It's simple and works nicely with my Sensus Ultra device.
When I get around to it, I also download profiles from my dive computer (Suunto Mosquito) to MacDive on my Mac. The UI for MacDive is excellent. Each dive entry has a link to the Aperture library containing photos for that particular dive.
Every few months, I'll convert my MacDive divelog (SQLite database file) to a format readable by the iPhone app Dive Log. Then, I have access to my divelog on my iPhone.

The Suunto software does a great job of keeping all my dive info in one spot, so I use it. I think it's a good piece of software that does the job it was designed to do.

+1 for my Vyper...However, I am now shopping for a multi-gas computer to accommodate Adv Nitrox and Deco and hopefully I will be able to get something that will do something fairly similar. I also keep a paper log as well.

One of the only things I really detest about the X1 is the logging software. But I use it, because the only program I know that will import X1 files is one I couldn't figure out how to work. If I could get it to give me my gas consumption information in CF instead of liters, I'd just import all the files into DiveLog and ignore the X1 software.

I use the Oceanic software. It's just to easy not to. I also keep a hand log as well.

+++++++++++1

Ditto! Same here. I like having 2 copies of it somewhere. Case in hand, one of my logbooks got soaked on a dive boat when someone I was diving with didn't fully close the dry bag. Soaked to the point of no recovery. Bought a new book and transferred everything back into it from the Oceanic software log. Saved the day for sure!

Right now I'm using DiveRecord.com to log my dives. I have ordered the download device and, of course, its on backorder. I will be using the PC Logbook for Cressi when I get it.

Why do you guys download the dive computer.

What do you use the info for?

I used to download now and then to critique my ascent profile, but after a while I no longer saw a need for that. I also downloaded a few times to calculate average depth for SAC calculations, but no longer have the need to re-re-re-verify SAC.

As far as keeping a dive log, the computer doesn't know what boat or divesite I was on, who I dove with, or what I saw. So I just keep a very simple running text file with that sort of info.

Back
Top Bottom