• Computer / tablet / smart phone, etc.

Votes: 48 38.4%
  • Both

Votes: 50 40.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
With the advances of modern technology and diving computers, do you still bother to write down the details of your dives in paper format, or do you simply upload the data to your computer/ iPad / iPhone and add with the keyboard the other details of the dive ?

What are the perceived advantages and disadvantages of either methods ?

Is it really worth it to use both methods ?

If you use a paper logbook, are there better brands then others (less cheap, more resistant to wear and tear, etc.) ?

If you use an electronic logbook, is there any software that stands above the others ?

Do you use iCloud storage to download the information when you are travelling abroad ?

I put computer / tablet / smart phone but I actually keep it in two forms on the computer and back it up. I'll download my logs from my dive computer to my computer, I'll add notes but then I'll output them in PDF format. So if I every switch dive computers, or the software stops working I'll still have the PDF format.

I put computer / tablet / smart phone but I actually keep it in two forms on the computer and back it up. I'll download my logs from my dive computer to my computer, I'll add notes but then I'll output them in PDF format. So if I every switch dive computers, or the software stops working I'll still have the PDF format.

Great idea !

Do you print some of those PDFs out to have a physical copy for when you travel abroad ?

Great idea !

Do you print some of those PDFs out to have a physical copy for when you travel abroad ?

No, not really. Not sure why I'd need physical copies of my dives for when I travel aboard. No one has really asked to see my dive log in years. If someone did I'd probably just show them my dive computer. It has a pretty good log book and profile display and everything.

I use so little of the functionality of my computer (and phone) that it would be embarrassing if I gave it much thought. What would be more embarrassing is how little I know about that functionality - but that's another discussion.
I use a paper log book.
I suppose part of that is the fact that, to transfer data from my dive computer, I would have to purchase a proprietary cable ($85)... and I just didn't see the benefit or need.
I recently bought a wrist computer that came with the cable; so I may choose a program & download the data, just to see.

You left out the option for "Neither".

Paper since the beginning. Then I Xerox (copy) each page and put it into the "firebox" so I still have a copy of all dives if I ever lose my log book(s) or the house burns down. 95% of my dives are shallow enough to not bother with my computer--one less thing to wash and bust. Besides, I'd be the last one on Earth to figure out how to get DC logs onto my laptop. Yeah, I could have my step daughter show me how and write it down.....

I tried the other methods. My Shearwater computers needed repair and were reprogrammed losing my dives. I tried using online logs and they were more of a PITA than anything else. Paper is the easiest by far for my personality.

Both!
Paper logs can be lost, digital data can be lost.
Always have a back up!

Paper for while on vacation to log the standard details then augment the dive profile from the dive computer upload to the dive log software on desktop computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom