• Computer / tablet / smart phone, etc.

Votes: 48 38.4%
  • Both

Votes: 50 40.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I download my dives to the computer, mostly to make it easier to fill out the paper log. One thing the computer log gives me is the graph/profile of the dive.

I do the paper logs because it's easier to thumb through those filed by year and place than it it to find a single (or multiple dives in the running list of dives on the computer. If there was some way to group and organize dives on the computer I might abandon the paper log.

I use both. Glad I do too. A few updates ago the shearwater app lost all of my dives information. It still shows the dives on my phone. However all of the details are gone. Very frustrating.... but, I have kept the paper logs right along with the electronic. That being said. The paper logs as others have mentioned makes it easier to go back and find a pertinent piece of information about a dive site, weighting, issues with equipment etc.

When I first started diving, dive computers didn't exist, and even when I got my first dive computer (Suunto Companion) I didn't have a PC to download data, not even sure it was possible to do so with that model, but I did do it with a Solution alpha or a later Suunto, but since I now use a Mac these downloads exist on a hard drive somewhere.

For the last 4 years I have been downloading from my Petrel, and occasionally print out some of the special ones for my logbook.

ALL of my dives however are recorded on paper, and I have several volumes of dive logs dating back to 1985.

I have logbooks for all my dives since 1997. I have been using an easy, refillable logbook made by Scuba dive log refill packs, logbooks, binders, stamps, and accessories since 2004. The used pages are easy to archive. I refer back to my logs reasonably frequently, mainly for dive site details for me and for others. I have all my equipment data there too, but now, know it very well, and do not need to refer back.

I have summary spreadsheets of all my dives since 1997, it is the quickest place to look up information and can be searched.

I have downloaded all my dives to my computer since 2010. This gives me gas use, average depth, and auto-calculated RMV for my last nearly 1,200 dives, as well as profile details.

It is easy for me to keep these records as I go, I find them all useful and complimentary. It also gives me something to do between dive trips :)

Modern computers with dive transferring on the smartphone and PC (in the cloud) are amazing, you can do it on the fly right after you finished the dive and you only have to write the place and the notes (some computers with GPS will note the place for you as well!).
When I'm back at home or when I have time, I review the dives and I transcript them on the paper logbook, where I eventually type more notes (interesting things seen.. problems.. etc.).

Download from dive computer(s) to laptop at the end of each day. Every 6 months or so I print the newest dives, then hole punch and add to the paper logbook (small 3-ring binder).

My biggest issue is having two dive computers that keep track of different details (beyond depth and time).The Amphos Air (AI) works with DiverLog software which is nice, and a non-AI Perdix which tracks ceilings and more technical stuff. Subsurface (software) can merge dives from the two DCs, but I haven't played enough with it to figure out how.

I'm enough of a data-head to enjoy looking at the profiles, air consumption, etc and also like having a digital copy of the notes about the dive sites, buddies, Dive Ops, gear and weights, etc.

I can see how I wouldn't bother too much if diving the same (or similar) sites on a regular basis.

I download my dives to the computer, mostly to make it easier to fill out the paper log. One thing the computer log gives me is the graph/profile of the dive.

I do the paper logs because it's easier to thumb through those filed by year and place than it it to find a single (or multiple dives in the running list of dives on the computer. If there was some way to group and organize dives on the computer I might abandon the paper log.
Subsurface does allow you to group dives by trip and you can also view dive statistic by year and month. You can filter dives by certain criteria such as dive location or dive buddy/DM. Don't know if this as thorough as you'd like but it does allow some grouping/search function. But it wouldn't cost you anything to download it and check it out.

I haven't used any other dive log software so don't know if others have these or other functions.

Subsurface does allow you to group dives by trip and you can also view dive statistic by year and month. You can filter dives by certain criteria such as dive location or dive buddy/DM. Don't know if this as thorough as you'd like but it does allow some grouping/search function. But it wouldn't cost you anything to download it and check it out.

I haven't used any other dive log software so don't know if others have these or other functions.

My dive log software doesn't have those functions. I tried SubSurface a while back. For some reason it didn't ring my chimes. Maybe I'll give it another look.

Computer, if they didn't charge ridiculous prices for simple download cables. So just sticking to paper or hand-jammed computer log for now.

Back
Top Bottom