Dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How useful is the "total bottom time to date" tally? Does anyone do that?

My dive computer does. Up to 999 dives, according to The Fine Manual, then it runs out of cheese and starts discarding old dives.

My dive computer does. Up to 999 dives, according to The Fine Manual, then it runs out of cheese and starts discarding old dives.
My current primary computer has 1,286 dives and 1,348 hours on it. not sure what the limit is, probably 9,999 dives or 9,999 hours, don't think I will make it :)

My current primary computer has 1,286 dives and 1,348 hours on it. not sure what the limit is, probably 9,999 dives or 9,999 hours, don't think I will make it :)

Does it show the total bottom time and max depth to date in its first history screen?

Does it show the total bottom time and max depth to date in its first history screen?
It's an Oceanic VT3 I bought in 2010. The first history screen shows dive number and dive time (I checked the manual, both go to a max of 9,999), the second screen shows highest altitude dived, lowest temperature dived, and deepest dive.

So no "total bottom time to date" that was asked about?

So no "total bottom time to date" that was asked about?
So, are you arguing that bottom time does not include ascent time and stops? Correct, it shows total dive time. My log is also total dive time and not total bottom time. Does any computer record bottom time rather than dive time? Unless you carried a slate and wrote it down, a diver would be hard pressed to record bottom time rather than dive time, run time.

How about your Cressi?

I find the dive log most useful to predict what exposure protection I will need. My notes include what I wore, the water temp, and if I was comfortable.

I started out diving in 1975, my instructor told me to always log my dives and give information regarding the conditions, reef, temp, sea-state, etc. I have (pretty much) done that since then. All written, either in store bought log books and later just a homemade .pdf form.

And what is great is to go back and read my old log books on occasion. I really lets me know how areas I have been diving have really changed (some for the better and some not). The more detailed you are now the more fun it will be to read them 20 years later.

I have used a paper log from DiveLogs.com for many years Scuba dive log refill packs, logbooks, binders, stamps, and accessories Compact, refillable log, easy to archive in binders. Very nice concise section to capture cylinder, weight and exposure protection. I also download my dives from my computer, but do not include this detail.
View attachment 509375
Nice, and they even do custom pages! Anyone ordered a custom book from them?

And I do keep up the total "bottom time", not entirely sure why. You can rack up a lot of very short dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom