Dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a paper log book to log all of my dives. Have been logging dives in a log book since dive number 1. I didn't like the commercially available log books, so I created my own. It allows me to record details that I feel are important, and note significant sightings or observations. This works for me - it may not work for others.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

I know it's a good idea to keep track of your dives but is it mandatory to keep a dive log?

Just for doing dives within your current certification, no. All you need is the card.

I log all of my dives on paper. Even when I was DM for students. It's fun to reminisce sometimes. Just recently I checked the date that something happened back in 1986, which was way before electronic logs. I also have been using electronic logs in addition to paper for the last few years. I use the Shearwater apps. When I travel I carry the last full log book and the one I'm working on. After my last trip when I did 28 dives in 12 days, I realized that my memory starts blending dives if I don't record them quickly enough. My computer keeps all of the numbers, but it doesn't keep all of my observations, weight, wet suit, etc.

Cheers -

I got tired of my dive log /trip day planner being overstuffed when I was in the Bahamas. The old paper logbooks went into the trash there I just print a page or 2 of dive log for any operators that ask for one.

It's not just an age thing; there's science to support paper over screens: The Reading Brain in the Digital Age: The Science of Paper versus Screens
I'm an older millennial who still prefers paper in many situations. I'm new to diving but have been using a paper log book, even though I have also used Subsurface to download my dive profiles from my computer and can see lots of advantages to doing logs that way. I might eventually figure out some way to harmonize those approaches; maybe scanning my paper logs and pairing them with my computer info and photos to create a more detailed backup in case something happens to my book, which I can then still carry with me and take notes while everything's fresh.

I was under the impression that when you booked a dive, presented your certification credentials that info was entered and kept track of by the certification agency (PADI, SSI, etc). At least in terms of how many dives you've done and where.
It is surprising in a world where the online ads remember that one time you searched for a regulator dust cap six months ago, but PADI doesn't log your specific dives at all. Even for certifications that require a certain number of dives, your instructor will be the one certifying the count based on... your dive log.
Mainly, it is for your own use. Doing shore diving without a DM (with a buddy, I hasten to add) in cold water and switching between steel and aluminum tanks, I just don't want to trust my memory to determine my weighting. Weirdly, the PADI log book has room for all kinds of rebreather info but nothing about the tank, so be sure to add that in if you're using the paper version. Personally, I really like the visceral feeling of logging the info (even as I copy some of that info from the console after it's synced to my computer), and getting that stamp or buddy scrawl. But then I have my own letterpress stationery, so I'm obviously something of an outlier.

I have used a paper log from DiveLogs.com for many years Scuba dive log refill packs, logbooks, binders, stamps, and accessories Compact, refillable log, easy to archive in binders. Very nice concise section to capture cylinder, weight and exposure protection. I also download my dives from my computer, but do not include this detail.
upload_2019-3-11_15-27-7.png

How useful is the "total bottom time to date" tally? Does anyone do that?

Back
Top Bottom