Dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all for the input.

I know it's a good idea to keep track of your dives but is it mandatory to keep a dive log? I was under the impression that when you booked a dive, presented your certification credentials that info was entered and kept track of by the certification agency (PADI, SSI, etc). At least in terms of how many dives you've done and where.

But as a result of this thread I've gone back and written down who and where my training was done and the conditions. I actually did my confined water session back home and my OW dives while on a cruise on two different islands with two different instructors. I suppose at sometime in the future it would be interesting to go back and remember the specifics. Am doing my first certified dive next month on another cruise.

I have several hundred unlogged dives, and have never been asked for a log book. OTOH, all my advanced course have been tech, not professional.

Hey, I'm old and don't do tech stuff very well. I will probably just set up a small note book to record my dives manually.

I'm also an old guy but I have adopted to modern times. I keep a paper log book, I like it and like going back to look at it. I keep my own spreadsheet, I'm compulsive. I download all my dives, I like the air consumption, avg depth, SAC, RMV...

I know it's a good idea to keep track of your dives but is it mandatory to keep a dive log?

When you dive somewhere and things are a bit different (e.g.: you used a 100-cf AL tank instead of an 80, or a steel tank instead of AL, or your baggage got delayed and you used rental gear that trip), a log tells you what weight you used, and likely what you thought of it. And maybe you'll wonder how many dives > 100 feet deep you've dove, before you aim for a trip where deep diving is the main thing.

Fresh off a trip, it seems like 'of course I'll remember,' then a couple years later, I don't.

If I want a paper version, I can print one out.

Richard.

Well I'm and old guy and I plan on using the paper log (once I get final certification; mainly for the reasons listed above to keep a log. Just not into all the digital stuff. I still keep a paper calendar, and a paper exercise journal. Just seems easier to me somehow . Everyone is different I guess.

I was under the impression that when you booked a dive, presented your certification credentials that info was entered and kept track of by the certification agency (PADI, SSI, etc). At least in terms of how many dives you've done and where.

I've often thought that would be a unique system if dive ops could report that info to a certification agency, but it is not. On a small scale, if you dive with Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman, they keep track of the dives you do with them. Was very surprised when I went back 7 years after first diving with them and they pulled up my certification card and dives I'd done with them.

I use Dive Log and Dive LogDT from moremobilesoftware.com on my Apple products. Lots of very cool and helpful features.

I'm also an old guy but I have adopted to modern times. I keep a paper log book, I like it and like going back to look at it. I keep my own spreadsheet, I'm compulsive. I download all my dives, I like the air consumption, avg depth, SAC, RMV...
I do too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom