Dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have to be dozens of "dive log" threads, all lengthy with folks saying their personal preferences, what they log, who will look at it (in my case in 14 years, no one, not even for courses, including DM). When I got OW in 2005 a paper log was part of the package--I still log each dive. Perhaps nowadays with dive computers being the norm, even in courses, paper logs are no longer included in your materials?

Well I'm and old guy and I plan on using the paper log

I wasn't aware that age was directly and inversely proportionately related to lack of use of new technology. Do you watch TV on a High Definiton TV? Do you drive a newer car whose systems are controlled and diagnosed by computers? Do you heat your leftovers in a microwave? Do you pay your bills online? Surf the net for information or for social reasons? Well we know the answer to that last one for sure. Why stop there when it comes to logging your dives? It can be as simple as writing each dive in a text file on your computers desktop. And of course you always backup your data, right?

When you dive somewhere and things are a bit different (e.g.: you used a 100-cf AL tank instead of an 80, or a steel tank instead of AL, or your baggage got delayed and you used rental gear that trip), a log tells you what weight you used, and likely what you thought of it. And maybe you'll wonder how many dives > 100 feet deep you've dove, before you aim for a trip where deep diving is the main thing.

Fresh off a trip, it seems like 'of course I'll remember,' then a couple years later, I don't.

If I want a paper version, I can print one out.

Richard.
Does not really matter how you keep it. A dive log is very useful to look up writing etc as Richard says.
I used paper logs for years, now it all on my shearwater. But being old fashioned I will still use paper for my "special" dives.
All Padi OW students are issued with a paper logbook.
One day you will need to prove your dives
A good example is volunteering to "clean" the local aquarium.
However you decide to keep it a dive log is a valuable asset.
I have over 4k dives, all logged.

I know it's a good idea to keep track of your dives but is it mandatory to keep a dive log?
Some classes have a stated amount of logged dives as a prerequisite. One example is PADI Divemaster, which PADI states requires "At least 40 logged dives to begin the course and 60 dives to earn certification." And as others have mentioned, there may occasionally be Dive Ops/locations that ask about logged dives.

This is about the best price I've found for paper log books with compact size and a page per dive:
Travel Friendly Scuba Dive Log Book with Protective Sleeve

comments--
-- I have not yet ever had to prove my dives to anyone in 14 years and now retired from divemastering. So I figure I probably won't ever have to do this. Unless some charter boat wants proof of my dives even with the DM card.
-- Interesting list of technology items. TVs, microwaves, modern cars. Just because most of us oldsters (and probably most youngsters unless it's their field, such as computers, mechanics, electricians, etc.) know how to use these things doesn't mean we have any idea how they really work. I don't know how a 1950s TV would work. Not sure if that's relevant, just sayin'.
I have on occasion changed a flat tire.

I know this is a no flame area. Just let me say I find it takes more time and seems cumbersome to me to put my activities that I log on a computer, tablet or phone. Just my preference. The dive log I have is small and doesn’t take up hardly any space. I’m sorry if that bothers some. Trying to convince me to go digital is not a productive use of time.

Thanks!

Just let me say I find it takes more time and seems cumbersome to me to put my activities that I log on a computer, tablet or phone. Just my preference. The dive log I have is small and doesn’t take up hardly any space.
I'm pretty much the same way, to each their own. For some reason I kind of enjoy writing it into a paper log after a day of dives. It's nice to get away from screens some times.

I log all of my dives.

All of them get logged in Subsurface. I download the dives to my PC, add whatever info I want (pics, video, notes about weights, drysuit/wetsuit, conditions, tank sizes etc) and then it becomes available on my mobile phone. The beauty of that is I can access my dives anywhere and any time I want (all I need is either WIFI or data connection - I generally update the app before I go so even if connection is sketchy my app is up to date). Also the software works out things like SAC, tissue loadings etc so I can analyse my dives better.

If doing any training with my club, those dives get logged in the official literature for the purposes of being signed off.

I use diving log 6.0 to download my dive computer I then print the last 15 or so dives and keep the paper copy with me anything older needed (for a class) I will show on my phone or have printed that ahead of time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom