Dive lights questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh ,and for what it is worth my sentiment does not apply to torches for cave diving and wreck penetration where torches tend to have a much different form factor such a head unit on a goodman handle connected to a containerized batter pack....there are less expensive options entering the market for these types of torches as well. Anyone purchasing an expensive dive store bought model and using it in an overhead environment straight out of the box without testing it first to ensure it works as expected will be thought quite the fool if/when they find themselves in a blackout due to the fact their equipment did not perform the way they thought it should. Divers who dive in an overhead environment should be checking their gear before entering such an environment regardless of where or how much they spent on it.

-Z

Reactions: Zef
I wanted 18650 rechargeable and magnetic rear/tail switches. I didn't want twist-heads - requires 2 hands to actuate, and side switches seem more likely to get accidentally actuated in a pocket.

So for my son and I picked up a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/VOLADOR-Flashlight-Waterproof-Rechargeable-Submersible-x/dp/B01LZLWZWT with some soft goodman gloves: https://www.amazon.com/Tonelife-Goodman-Adjustable-Diameter-Flashlight/dp/B01CV2G4VI

Best combination of features and price that I could find at the time. Build quality seems good. I added a boltsnap where the lanyard (removable) is attached. They seem great and will stay in my kit, at least for backup lights.
I can't comment on nighttime performance since our fall night diving was shut out for abysmal visibility, but one has been riding on my rig for 12 dives or so, including 3 to 80 ft and it is working fine.

I am using good aftermarket Panasonic protected cells and an XTar charger, so I don't have an opinion on the included batteries, they will be reserved for topside use in knock-around lights.

I am looking for a variable beam light for a primary, but have not yet found the one I want to try. - I'll keep following ...

@Zef

You are getting into the topic of those who innovate and those who copy. If you don't have to pay for R&D, then you have quite the competitive advantage.
Sort of. The flashlight isn't exactly new. Using flashlights underwater isn't new. I don't think any manufacturers of dive lights are manufacturing their own LED chips or drivers. Maybe I'm wrong but if so, their board should clean house (if they have a board). I'm just some guy and I'm working on making my own light. They really aren't all that complex. Housing, reflector, lens, battery, switch, driver, led. That's about it. Maybe you modify the housing reflector and lens so that the light can be "focused" into a tighter or wider beam. Most drivers are capable of varying power, it's just a matter of utilizing the feature in your driver i.c.

Now, you could reinvent the wheel I suppose. Maybe you'll create a vastly better product than your competitors. Most manufacturers of lights are just selecting different components that I listed above. Of course, most manufacturers probably do design their own housing in order to "differentiate" themselves. There's a company in cave country making some high end LED can lights that people rave about. Personally I don't understand what the big deal is - but I'll admit I don't know everything.

As I said, I've got the crappiest light I could find - a $7 1000lm light with a plastic body. It's about 4 years old now and going strong. It's been in caverns, caves, and down to about 130' a few times. It actually cost less than the 18650 battery that it uses. I wouldn't use it as a primary in an overhead or even as my first backup... third light though, yes. LED lights are a lot more robust than incandescent or HID lights that divers used in days past. Those were expensive and fragile, with gigantic battery packs. Other than for nostalgic reasons, those days are gone. Modern lights are a cheap item that can be expected to work for a long time (assuming it works at all).

As with all dive gear, proper maintenance is not optional if you want it to work correctly for a long time. Most critically, inspecting and lubricating o-rings imo.

Reactions: Zef
This is probably a stupid question - but what do you lubricate the o-rings with?

A very very tiny bit of silicone grease.

-Z

This is probably a stupid question - but what do you lubricate the o-rings with?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=o-ring+lube

Since it's not part of a regulator involving air you breathe, there aren't any special requirements. You can get the stuff at home improvement stores (home depot/scotty's/lowes) or pool stores (Pinch A Penny/Leslie's) if you prefer to buy local instead of online.

You use such a small amount that a one ounce tube should last for years. It'll probably last until you misplace the tube.

Or take a contact lens case to your LDS and ask if they would be so kind to put a little silicone grease in it for your save-a-dive kit. I keep an old film canister with few of each size of the common and easily replaceable o-rings (to include spares for my computer and transmitter batter compartments) along with little container of silicone grease. Its small, light, and good insurance to have on hand.

-Z

Just to cut to the chase, DRIS has sold a ton of these: 1000 Lumen Dive Light , and it's a great first primary light (even here in Puget Sound), or a backup when you get a more expensive light. It runs on 3 c-cells, and is almost indestructible.

Just to cut to the chase, DRIS has sold a ton of these: 1000 Lumen Dive Light , and it's a great first primary light (even here in Puget Sound), or a backup when you get a more expensive light. It runs on 3 c-cells, and is almost indestructible.
I had one of those. It worked great until I accidentally dropped it into Davey Jones locker. Now that everyone and their Chinese counterpart are selling dive lights, $75 is somewhat expensive for a 1000 lumen dive light though.

Back
Top Bottom