Dive lights questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait, I do want a wider beam? Because I was told it is like fog - wide bright beam means everything reflects back. And isn't your secondary light off when you start?

In my opinion, you want a light that will switch between a wide and narrow band. When I'm looking for critters, I have it on wide, both during the day and night.

I misunderstood that you were talking about the backup/secondary light. Lights are so reliable these days, it probably will not be a problem. As long as you keep the o-rings clean and lubricated, it will be fine. The buttons used by Kraken and Big Blue are very reliable.

In my opinion, you want a light that will switch between a wide and narrow band. When I'm looking for critters, I have it on wide, both during the day and night.

I misunderstood that you were talking about the backup/secondary light. Lights are so reliable these days, it probably will not be a problem. As long as you keep the o-rings clean and lubricated, it will be fine. The buttons used by Kraken and Big Blue are very reliable.

Not a lot of lights seem to switch between wide and spot, and then again, it's a moving part that can malfunction. :/ I know the solas light switches though.

Not a lot of lights seem to switch between wide and spot, and then again, it's a moving part that can malfunction. :/ I know the solas light switches though.
Big Blues have lights that switch. Those are the ones I recommend over Sola (I have both) due to the longer burn time, brighter, and excellent support (though Sola has a great reputation too).

I believe BB has the VTL3500 out now. That's the one I recommend the most as the primary light for recreational divers.

Big Blues have lights that switch. Those are the ones I recommend over Sola (I have both) due to the longer burn time, brighter, and excellent support (though Sola has a great reputation too).

I believe BB has the VTL3500 out now. That's the one I recommend the most as the primary light for recreational divers.

Whoa, the only one I can find with that number/name is way more expensive than the solas! Am I looking at the wrong one?

Took my kids on a trip to Egypt after they got OWD/AOWD certified....there was a planned night dive. We picked up a couple of Magic Shine knock offs from DX.com for about $20 US. That was in 2014....they are still going strong.

There is a mentality that a good dive torch should/will cost some coin and that one should stay away from cheap torches. I have seen lots of divers spend good money on a torch at local dive shops or from online dive shop sources only to have problems with them....some have had difficulty getting their defective torches replaced under warranty even in the first few months of ownership which resulted in them having a relatively expensive paperweight. I have also seen folks spend lots of money on a torch and lose it because they either did not attach it properly or inadvertently dropped and lost it...again an expensive mistake.

The divers in one of the local clubs I am a member of took a look at my torches and how much I paid for them and many have gone out and ordered their own...for less than $20 US if you drop it or it works for one trip then no worries...it is cheap enough to have one as a backup or spare to loan out and not worry if it doesn't come back.

I was on dive in the Philippines doing a drift dive through a tunnel (Gato island I believe), my partner was taskloaded with his gopro and used his new nearly $200 torch to push himself away from the face of the tunnel...he was a relatively new diver and probably should not have been on that dive but that was not my call....after the dive his torch was missing chunks of aluminum from the bezzel and the body....good money washed down the drain and he was upset....had he wrecked a $20 torch it would have weighed nothing on his mind.

I dive relatively all year round, especially since I started diving with a drysuit. I carry at least one of these torches with me clipped to my harness on every dive I do regardless of whether conditions warrant it or not, it is just part of my standard kit just as much as my DSMB. I have never had a problem with any of the 4 identical torches we own and have had them down to +/- 45 meters and in both warm and cold water (4-5C). None of ours nor our club members have flooded and the only time we had one fail was when we did not recharge the batteries fully between use...but that is our fault.

If you were diving in an overhead environment or spent thousands on underwater photography equipment I would have a different recommendation but you would also be asking different questions. For general recreational diving with no overhead you can spend a lot on a torch if you want or you can save some money and put it towards other uses such as tanks fills, other equipment, more diving, etc.

If you go with the one I linked to from DX.com I will say that the split ring it comes with is not a secure attachment point. I lashed a bolt snap to mine and for my kids I made a small loop of parachute chord and double zip tied it to the light then attached an extendable coil lanyard to it so they can clip them to their BCs and comfortably use them without fear of dropping.

900LM 5-Mode White Diving Flashlight - Black (2*18650)

YMMV,
-Z

Whoa, the only one I can find with that number/name is way more expensive than the solas! Am I looking at the wrong one?
I think you are looking at the wrong ones, as it may be the VTL3100 that I should have mentioned, that I'm seeing for $270

@Zef

You are getting into the topic of those who innovate and those who copy. If you don't have to pay for R&D, then you have quite the competitive advantage.

Took my kids on a trip to Egypt after they got OWD/AOWD certified....there was a planned night dive. We picked up a couple of Magic Shine knock offs from DX.com for about $20 US. That was in 2014....they are still going strong.

If you go with the one I linked to from DX.com I will say that the split ring it comes with is not a secure attachment point. I lashed a bolt snap to mine and for my kids I made a small loop of parachute chord and double zip tied it to the light then attached an extendable coil lanyard to it so they can clip them to their BCs and comfortably use them without fear of dropping.

900LM 5-Mode White Diving Flashlight - Black (2*18650)

YMMV,
-Z

Thanks, I like the specific recommendation. Does it change in width - it doesn't seem to say on the page (which probably means it doesn't) I am trying to picture the securing you are talking about. Task loading and fear of losing expensive equipment is an important point, thank you for bringing that up!

I think you are looking at the wrong ones, as it may be the VTL3100 that I should have mentioned, that I'm seeing for $270

Yeah, the sola is 250 for the one I'd probably get, and the gobe is 100-150, and getting two together as a package is 400 (with a better sola) - so that's a pretty big jump for me, price wise.

Thanks, I like the specific recommendation. Does it change in width - it doesn't seem to say on the page (which probably means it doesn't) I am trying to picture the securing you are talking about. Task loading and fear of losing expensive equipment is an important point, thank you for bringing that up!

It does not have an adjustable beam but I have different light that I purchase from a club member that does have an adjustable width beam and in use I have never felt the need to use this feature. The beam width of both models of torches I have are sufficient for all the diving I have done...night diving in various destinations around the world, crappy visibility in the local quaries/lakes, etc.

I will snap and post a couple of pictures of the attachment points of mine and my kids torches when i arrive home this evening.

-Z

@Zef

You are getting into the topic of those who innovate and those who copy. If you don't have to pay for R&D, then you have quite the competitive advantage.

Sure, if you believe that there is actual innovation in the average torch being marketed through your local dive shop. Everything from torches to lead seems to be at a considerable markup because it is marketed as "SCUBA" related....if you want to pay the premium for "innovation" to a company that most likely has outsourced manufacturing and is capitalizing on the dive industry markup then be my guest, i have no quarrel with that...but I know folks have paid top dollar for dive torches only to find the product failed a year or two down the road and when comparing to similar less expensive products available they found they could have had an as good or better product for less.

With the exception of photography specific lighting, I don't believe there is all that much innovation going on with dive torches...at a basic level it is a container with hopefully a double o-ring seal at any point that opens, a bulb, a battery, and a switch. Many manufacturers are using some version or other of a magnetic switch...maybe 10 or 20 years ago one could have claimed "innovation" but that ship has sailed. I don't think varying the number of LEDs in a torch is really innovation or R&D but then again this is not my area of expertise. Spend your money how you see fit...I just cringe at the recommendation to spend hundreds on a general use dive torch when the pricing is predatory and there are similar products that work just as well.

What does one need in a general purpose dive torch? my answer is:
1. waterproof
2. reliability
3. good illumination
4. good burn time
5. comfortable weight and form factor to carry and use

The idea that those torches sold in shops have some miracle aspect to them that makes them a better fit for purpose only standsup until the torch floods or fails. There is no guarantee that an expensive dive store (online or brick and mortar) bought torch is any more fit for purpose than one purchased more economically. And the likelihood is that the more expensive option may have been manufactured at the same plant as the less expensive options on the market.

Like i said, YMMV.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom