Dive Lake Mead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Anchor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to be in Las Vegas on August 28th and 29th and I would like to dive Lake Mead while I am there.

I am looking for dive buddies and a good charter company. Anyone who is interested in joining me is most welcome as is any information on charters or dive sites.

I am a certified advanced diver with dry suit training, so deep dives and wrecks are a possibility. But I have less than 20 dives under my belt and would prefer to dive with a dive master. Currently I would like to dive the cavern and the B-29 if they are accessible with the Gypsum Falls being an alternate.

Thanks

There are 2 types of people in the world. Those who love diving and those who haven't tried it yet.

There's a charter at Lake Mead, but you'll have a difficult time finding enough divers to go out during the week to dive. Unless you can get enough people together, your best bet is doing a shore dive. Even better would be to go down to Lake Mohave and do a couple of dives there off of Cabinsite. As for the B29, it's currently outside of recreational dive limits. With the experience you state you have, I would hold off on trying to dive it for a few more years. To be safe, you'd need a doubles set up with decompression gasses.

I must agree with Dive-aholic, your best bet is shore dive on Mohave ( or a drift dive down there). Cabinsite is 1 1/2 hours out side of Vegas so its a bit of a drive ( when our gang goes down there we leave Vegas around 6am). Oh yeah the Bomber dive will cost you around $500, ( that includes a long boat trip and a T-shirt,.......YES , I SAID A T-SHIRT). The way the lake is dropping, it will be with in limits shortly ( the B-29 sit now at 145 feet......type in B-29 in search box at www.lvrj.com . )
I hate to say it ( because lake mead is my diving hole) , it will be really tough to fill a charter in the middle of the week. But the again this is VEGAS and a lot of us have to work the weekend and we have 2 days off during the week. I will talk to "some of the usual suspects" that I dive with and see if we can help you fill a boat

Thanks for all your help. If anyone has any friends who are interested in joining me for a dive feel free to PM me.

In the mean time, I will check with some local dive charters to see if I can get a space.

Hi Anchor,

First off welcome to SB! You should fill out your profile. This helps others in that they know what general region you live in, and what types of experience and training you have.

I don't want to lecture you, but I will! :D If you have less than 20 dives, AOW, and Drysuit training that would indicate you have done almost zero diving outside of a training setting. First hiring a DM is a great idea. However I'd strongly discourage you from doing a dive at over 80' with the experience you have regardless of who you have diving with you.

If you do want to do the B-29 (sounds pricey) I'd suggest getting in the water as much as possible before doing that depth. The Blue Hole in NM is a bit of a drive, but offers 85' of depth (I think 105' if you are into altitude adjustments), and is a very good training ground to become comfortable with depth.

IOW's you need to have your STUFF together if you are planning on diving deep. A dive at 120' is no time to discover that you are freaking out with all that water above you, or you have poor buoyancy skills, and can not maintain a slow ascent. No DM or instructor in the world is going to stop a paniced diver from flying to the surface.

Welcome to SB. I think you will find it a friendly place full of great people, great divers, and great advice. I certainly have learned a lot here, and had the pleasure of diving with SB members from around the world.

I am headed to Vegas for a couple of days and thinking of bringing my doubles/drysuit (I dont know what the conditions are there...) I didn't have any time to do any research, can you recomend a dive shop, or even a popular shore dive area where I might be able to join a group Friday or Saturday?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom