Dive Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My question. With all of the various dive insurance policies available ( PADI, DAN etc. ) Does any one have experiences they might share, ( good or bad ) that can give me some insight as to the best policy to buy.

Thanks

Terry

Terry,

Our own DocVickingo did a great explanation of the different plans in Undercurrent magazine. If you can get a copy, or subscribe to the website, I'm sure that it would be a HUGE help.

about a policy I have never understood with DAN coverage. What is up with the "50 miles from home" limit? Has anyone ever come up against that? Catalina is less than 30 miles from me, as the crow flies...or the mermaid swims, I should say.

Thanks D. D. for the web site.

Yes I got to thinking as well. A friend of mine totaled his Pathfinder in Mexico this past September and his dive gear was destroyed as well. The trip ruined. As of this writing Dan has not responded with any money. Now, I am not privey to all of the specifics, but it seems something is wrong with this picture.

Sooo, I would just as soon not make the same mistake. There is a saying " learn from others mistakes because you can't live long enough to make them all yourself".

This is the whole reason for my question.

Terry

Terry
Check this link for Doc Vickingo's article.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=1845
He also posted it here on the board.

I made the same question a little while ago, after all I went with DAN. PADI's sponsored insurance is very competitive,I almost went with them. What made me stick with DAN is that being a member, you are supporting their research and have acces to their resources. Of course you could also be a DAN member, and buy the insurance from the PADI sponsored company, but this woul cost you a little more.

Also think about if you do any diving less than fifty miles from home, if that's the case go with PADI's, DAN doesn't cover in those instances.

BoricuaMojao

Hey thanks boricuamajao

This was just what I was looking for on this subject.

Insurance is still always confusing.

I always try to buy the best policy, not the cheepest. Now I have to figure which is the best of the best.

Thanks again everyone

Terry

I spent some time seaching for a policy too and came to the conclusion that DAN was probably the best & most widely recognized which should be a benefit should I ever need to use their services. So I chose the top DAN plan

Originally posted by Terry Gardner
Thanks D. D. for the web site.

Yes I got to thinking as well. A friend of mine totaled his Pathfinder in Mexico this past September and his dive gear was destroyed as well. The trip ruined. As of this writing Dan has not responded with any money. Now, I am not privey to all of the specifics, but it seems something is wrong with this picture.

Sooo, I would just as soon not make the same mistake. There is a saying " learn from others mistakes because you can't live long enough to make them all yourself".

This is the whole reason for my question.

Terry

Terry, I'd have to read my DAN policy but I'm not sure they cover gear in an auto accident, just a water related accident.

For gear insurance you can't beat D.E.P.P. I've had coverage on our gear and camera equipment for several years. The only claims I have made have been for the camera stuff but they have been excellent about repairing/replacing it. Check here
Divers Equipment Protection Plan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom