Dive Insurance If already Covered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've briefly scanned the DAN coverages. My wife and I do a lot of shallow fresh water diving (30 feet or less) but also go to Cozumel a couple of times per year. I see there is a low, medium and high level of DAN insurance. For our level of diving which would be adequate? Thanks, gt2003

nikyyo:
Your points are all well taken,and I will purchase DAN insurance before my upcoming trip.

5615mike: yes I have read the Tim and Christi post and although i haven't responded on that post directly I do want to take this opportunity to say that quite simply reading their experiences has forever changed the way I will dive in the future. I want to thank you both for sharing. On my last , and first, trip to coz I now realize that I took extraordinary risks that I had no idea i was taking: drinking too much in the evening, diving deep the next day and pushing an already liberal computer to its limits while diving air, and hardly drinking ANY water. It is amazing I didn't get bent. WHat an idiot I was. No more boozing when diving the next day, I'm drinking plenty of water, and will strictly dive nitrox: I have the certification I may as well use it.

Doc Vikingo: thank you for the number, I will call him in the next few days.

Again, thanks everyone for the input.

Glad that the shared experiences has shed additional light on an often overlooked serious consequence of our sport/hobby that is so enjoyed by us all. Take care and dive safe.

Please note the answer in both cases was to "pay it yourself and then submit for reimburesment." A medium serious hit will easily run $10K to $60K for the "emergency" treatment, plus a few more grand for the followup.

IMNSHO if you can afford to plunk down $60K out of pocket change you don't NEED the insurance. My wallet is generally considerably lighter than $60,000. Dan is accepted up front at most diving resort locations. This stops the argument over the $s and start the HP O2 treatments! Waiting a couple days to sort the $s out before treatment starts can be really bad news.

FT

gt2003:
I see there is a low, medium and high level of DAN insurance. For our level of diving which would be adequate? Thanks, gt2003

Look at what is covered at each level, and how well your "normal" health insurance will be accepted in a different country. Slip on the boat ladder and need the leg set or closed and Dan Preferred covers it, plus the hospital in Coz is comfortable accepting it as a guaranteed payment plan. I don't know too many LOCAL hospitals that have this much trust in Blue Shield or Aetna as far as getting paid goes. BTW in some countries you don't get an exit visa and leave until ALL in country debts are paid.

FT

gt2003:
I've briefly scanned the DAN coverages. My wife and I do a lot of shallow fresh water diving (30 feet or less) but also go to Cozumel a couple of times per year. I see there is a low, medium and high level of DAN insurance. For our level of diving which would be adequate? Thanks, gt2003

I would go for the Preferred plan, I can't see skimping for a few bucks on this. But at the very least the Master plan. The Standard plan is only $10 less than Master but much more limited in the $amount of coverage. Standard is also limited to 130', even if you don't plan on being that deep but accidentally wind up there as part of the s*** hitting the fan, who wants a chance on a hassle over that?

Not sure what I'm wanting. I'm going to have to join DAN first of all $44 for family then get insurance on 3 of us $210. Basically $250 bucks for preferred plan vs. $150 total for membership plus master plan for 3 of us. I don't expect to have a non-related dive accident but then again, I'm sure Tim didn't expect to go to "THE CHAMBER" either. I think I'll err on the side of safety and go with the master plan. I might end up stepping out in front of a moped after 1 too many margaritas. No telling. Thanks for all the help. gt2003

Does anyone have any opinions on the PADI insurance versus DAN? I have always carried PADI, but I rarely ever see any references by anyone that has it.

parrotman:
Does anyone have any opinions on the PADI insurance versus DAN? I have always carried PADI, but I rarely ever see any references by anyone that has it.
I use PADI, after considering the limits and what each is supposed to cover I thought the PADI was the better one for me. I don't know anyone who has actually had to use either so I don't really know which one is better. PADI insurance is actually through a company called Vincencia & Buckley, I don't have the papers right in front of me so I hope spelled that correctly.

I did read an article about DAN and some of the people were running it. The article raised questions about how the funds were actually being used and some of the salaries these people were taking in.

I know DAN is the original but is it any better than some of the others, don't know! Maybe some of the other board members have had actual experience with more than just DAN and can shed some light on this subject.

We went with the Preferred Plan. We became members after we read about Tims chamber ride. I wanted all the insurance I could get. My insurance I have through work is about the same price per month as Dan is per year.

DAN's former founder, president & CEO, Dr. Peter B. Bennett and the DAN board had a quite a go 'round last year & the year before. Much mud was flung & a lot of money wasted.

While Dr. Bennett did make good money working for DAN, and received what many, including myself, consider an excessive severance package, it was never demonstrated that he or any others misused funds. Moreover, the insurance arm of DAN was never at issue in this mess.

You can read a bit about it in the following Jan '03 piece from Undercurrent (http://www.undercurrent.org/):

"DAN Founder Retires amid controversy ... and serious questions"
http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/DANRetire200301.shtml

Yes, there are other good insurers. The top of the line PADI plan is excellent (the administrators are Vicencia & Buckley), as are the offerings by Divassure http://www.diveassure.com/new/usa/.

If you wish to learn the details of & compare the dive accident policies that are available, you may find these in my Undercurrent article entitled "Are You Diving Naked." It's been posted to the board on several occasions.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom