Dive Insurance If already Covered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be in coz in may so I called my insurance carrier to confirm whether or not I would be covered in the event of an accident. I was assured that As long as it is an emergency, I was. I would cover the costs initially and then submit all bills to said carrier for reimbursement. Should I then take out an extra policy with DAN, and if so why? Thanks.

I asked the same question to my insurance company and that's the same answer I got, "if it's an emergency" When I asked about air evacuation again, "if it's an emergency" It seemed like no matter what I asked it was always the same reply so I decided it was cheaper to be sure and have the coverage than to find out that their definition of "if it's an emergency" is different than mine. The initial cost could also be quite high. What's your limit on your credit card? Hopefully I never have to use it but isn't that the same for all insurance.

Without having an absolute defintion of "emergency" IMO it is quite foolish to dive without DAN or similar insurance. When you go to dive destinations for vacation and are doing multipule dives on multipule days your just asking for trouble. See the thread from Tim Ingersol and Christi. You have probably already read it which is why you are now concerned. You should be. Now I'm no DAN representitive but why take the chance with your health. You have all this time and money invested in your sport what is another $100 or less a year for a piece of mind.

What if you become symtomatic and your insurance carrier does not believe it to be an "emergency". How do they know really, they are not there and your health insurance carrier is not a qualified doctor in this very specialized arena. Two days later your symtoms are now quite serious. Sure they might step up then but you are now in a very serious situation that could have been avoided had treatment been applied earlier. If you want to take a chance on getting stuck with the bill and subsequest consequences...........then go bare!

Sorry for the rant. I just don't understand why anyone dives without this.

5615mike:
What if you become symtomatic and your insurance carrier does not believe it to be an "emergency".

I agree. If your insurance doesn't specifically cover scuba activities, and avoids specifics when you ask them directly, get DAN. It'll be peace of mind, if nothing else. And relatively cheap. Get it.

I agree, get DAN.
Many out of country medical facilites will not take anything but cash, credit card or DAN. Try getting air evaced with Blue Cross. If your credit card can handle $50,000 or so then maybe you might want to take a chance on it. I have a big dislike and mistrust of insurance companies and as most of their "experts" have no idea what DCS is, there is a very good chance that you "don't have an emergency" as far as they are concerned. Just fly on back home and have it checked by your approved doctor...yea right.
In addition to being good insurance, the profits go to hyperbaric research so if nothing else, you are contributing to research programs that help divers. You also get travel insurance and some other benefits. Join DAN.

Also, the fine print in some general medical insurance policies will give them an out if you were engaging in what they would consider to be hazardous activity. Would a vanilla Blue Cross policy cover your medical expenses for injuries you might incur while being shot out of a cannon? ;^)

get diving insurance of some kind.

Many, many, many standard healthcare plans DO NOT cover diving related accidents. They either:
a) do not consider them emergencies or
b) do not cover them because they consider diving a hazardous sport or
c) other reasons

Unless your policy SPECIFICALLY states that hyperbaric treatment/diving realted accidents are covered, then get DAN or similar. Even if your primary healthcare provider covers it, they won't cover it 100% more than likely. Diving insurance will pick up as a secondary and cover what your primary plan doesn't. It's a win win situation in my opinion. You can get a plan for as low as $60. Think about it, that's one two-tank dive...big deal!

In my opinion, if you cannot afford to insure yourself for $60 to $100 per year, then you should not be diving. That may sound harsh, but I have actually been there. Diving accidents happen...period. Can you really afford a medical bill of $800 per hour for hyperbaric treatment if something happens? That is about what it comes out to. And keep in mind that a minimum treatment is 2.5 hours.

Dive Assure is another option www.diveassure.com They are also an excellent company and are right around the same price with higher coverage limits.

DAN is also a good choice for recreational divers.

PADI also has a policy.

I feel very strongly about this issue. I implore you to get diving insurance.

Dive safe!

Get the insurance. When I graduated from nursing school, first thing I got was a malpractice insurance. As soon as I got that temp OW cert card, I was online and buying diving insurance (although in hindsight, I should have gotten one while I was doing my classes). Reading about a recent dive incident in coz, 80-90 bucks a year is a pittance compared to what one trip to a chamber will cost.

Your points are all well taken,and I will purchase DAN insurance before my upcoming trip.

5615mike: yes I have read the Tim and Christi post and although i haven't responded on that post directly I do want to take this opportunity to say that quite simply reading their experiences has forever changed the way I will dive in the future. I want to thank you both for sharing. On my last , and first, trip to coz I now realize that I took extraordinary risks that I had no idea i was taking: drinking too much in the evening, diving deep the next day and pushing an already liberal computer to its limits while diving air, and hardly drinking ANY water. It is amazing I didn't get bent. WHat an idiot I was. No more boozing when diving the next day, I'm drinking plenty of water, and will strictly dive nitrox: I have the certification I may as well use it.

Doc Vikingo: thank you for the number, I will call him in the next few days.

Again, thanks everyone for the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom