Dive flag ignorance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im sure that there are many cases of ignorance. Most all places i go to that has motored traffic require some sort of license or permit requirement to drive a boat or has postings of divers flags and the associated legal backing. Notices such as,,,,,,driving a boat while under the influence is a crime exist quite often with notices to stay clear of divers flags by 50yd ect are often posted or briefed at many water way entrances. I have ;many times been topside to waive off boaters who get too close to flags. jet skies enter coves and approach with 10 ft of flags or bubbles they find surfacing as they race by.

Actually in New South Wales, there is new legislation that is a bit stronger than before in relation to distance off from dive flags. It also looks like the relevant authority, Roads and Maritime Services, is about to run a publicity campaign relating to dive flags.

Despite all this, I cannot really recall a scuba diver in NSW been hit by a boat and even when thinking of snorkellers I cannot think of one.

Float/Flag being used, and a "shadow boat" on the surface....

(if you have a decent sound card, turn it up - it's quite scary)

Education is the key. I have been certified since 2002 and even being a diver I didn't know until last year that displaying a dive flag was actually the law in North Carolina. I thought it was a "good safety recommendation" sort of like "you MUST have a backup flashlight" or "You MUST have a safety sausage." All these years I've been avoiding dive flags when boating because I thought it was a "boating courtesy" thing. If the SCUBA world would quit making everything sound like God is gonna come down and terminate you if you don't do it/have it, then people would have a better understanding of what actually is required and what isn't.

99.99% sure the jet ski guy was thinking "What the heck is this weird thing I've never seen before floating in the water?" He didn't realize he was putting the diver in danger. One reason in NC is no boating test is required. Anyone over 18 can buy a boat and go put it in the water and take off, with no education/training whatsoever.

Another problem is the going-over-board safety thing so rampant in diving. Such as this thing about some divers going apedo-do because another diver is wearing his mask on his forehead. Now I see PADI is trying to push that as some industry wide standard signal for "diver is in panic". Or like when they find out you don't dive with a snorkel. "OH MY GOD!!! You don't carry a snorkel??? How do you ever dive 125 feet and live to tell about it and you don't have a snorkel!"

Last edited:
Up to recent times, no education or license was needed to purchase a boat. Only $$ needed. Now many states are requiring mandatory education.

Other issue with some boaters is that just like drivers of motor vehicles, some drink and get drunk. Combine alcohol with the effects of being out on the water and sun and you can see how the dive flag will be ignored.

I'm a boater myself; I get off the water in early evening as I'm concerned about a mishap from other divers.

...//... Between dives we would sit on shore and watch how ignorant people are of dive flags.

Boats flying full speed within 20 feet of the flag. 3 different jet skiers came up next to it and rode around it to see what it is. Another boater actually came next to it and tried to pull it out of the water before giving up since it was anchored. ...//...
I first hand saw what a propeller could do to a tank on the back of a teenager. Not about to offer any details, but TO'L at AD certainly could.

Somebody said it best. A dive flag is a target. Indeed. You have to drag it with you or have your gear confiscated.

We all have our own solutions for that reality. Do what works for you. It is a personal safety burden that one should not take lightly...

I have a hard time understanding why a dive flag is legally required when there is no corresponding requirement to teach boaters what it means.

Last edited:
Went diving today. Dive site has a trek through the shallows before a steep drop off. We anchored our dive flag torpedo buoy at the drop off and used it as a base to descend and surface. Between dives we would sit on shore and watch how ignorant people are of dive flags.

Boats flying full speed within 20 feet of the flag. 3 different jet skiers came up next to it and rode around it to see what it is. Another boater actually came next to it and tried to pull it out of the water before giving up since it was anchored.

I've read a lot of stories on here about pros vs cons of towing a flag and wether or not to even bring one. I couldn't believe what people were doing to the surface marker. Seeing that, I couldn't imagine towing one it would have been yanked out of my hand if I had been holding it.

This is a large torpedo that says both diver down and has a large legal size flag >12x12. After seeing what I saw I'm wondering if I should just get one of those cheap styrofoam balls with a large flag on it so at least it stands taller and looks more like a basic marker than a target.

So frustrating today. Was truly worried I would surface next to the marker and get hit.
Side issue: why did you leave this anchored in the water when you were ashore?

I have a hard time understanding why a dive flag is legally required when there is no corresponding requirement to teach boaters what it means.

Obviously you have not dealt with government bureaucracy before.

My buddy and I got a don't ask don't tell policy on not using a dive flag as required on a local lake. Although they could not change the rules, they understood the danger of attracting unwanted attention during shore dives. With no boat to guard the area, the inquisitive, stupid, and drunk the flag would attract is a larger danger than a random boater traversing the area, which would be easier to avoid.

Bob

Why is there so much ignorance of the dive flag?

What have YOU done to educate the public about the dive flag?

Do you have business cards printed explaining the dive flag?
Have you met with the owners of the local marinas ?
Have you made posters and displayed them at boat shops or marinas ?
Did you have a booth at the local boat show?

Have you met with the local state government about the dive flag?

I suspect NO!

Back
Top Bottom