Dive flag ignorance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beau640

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went diving today. Dive site has a trek through the shallows before a steep drop off. We anchored our dive flag torpedo buoy at the drop off and used it as a base to descend and surface. Between dives we would sit on shore and watch how ignorant people are of dive flags.

Boats flying full speed within 20 feet of the flag. 3 different jet skiers came up next to it and rode around it to see what it is. Another boater actually came next to it and tried to pull it out of the water before giving up since it was anchored.

I've read a lot of stories on here about pros vs cons of towing a flag and wether or not to even bring one. I couldn't believe what people were doing to the surface marker. Seeing that, I couldn't imagine towing one it would have been yanked out of my hand if I had been holding it.

This is a large torpedo that says both diver down and has a large legal size flag >12x12. After seeing what I saw I'm wondering if I should just get one of those cheap styrofoam balls with a large flag on it so at least it stands taller and looks more like a basic marker than a target.

So frustrating today. Was truly worried I would surface next to the marker and get hit.

It's nothing new. The only solution is educating boaters, and having law enforcement writing very expensive tickets to everyone who is too arrogant/ignorant to listen to the education.

I'll be honest I've been boating for a large part of my life and before diving I probably would not have been able to tell you what the flag meant. But you don't need to know what the flag means. Since when is it okay to go near buoys marking things and pull on them. Even as an ignorant boater I knew enough to stay away from marker buoys they are usually marking things that will mess up your boat (including a human in this case). The people coming by and actually pulling on it is what shocked me the most

Went diving today. Dive site has a trek through the shallows before a steep drop off. We anchored our dive flag torpedo buoy at the drop off and used it as a base to descend and surface. Between dives we would sit on shore and watch how ignorant people are of dive flags.

Boats flying full speed within 20 feet of the flag. 3 different jet skiers came up next to it and rode around it to see what it is. Another boater actually came next to it and tried to pull it out of the water before giving up since it was anchored.

I've read a lot of stories on here about pros vs cons of towing a flag and wether or not to even bring one. I couldn't believe what people were doing to the surface marker. Seeing that, I couldn't imagine towing one it would have been yanked out of my hand if I had been holding it.

This is a large torpedo that says both diver down and has a large legal size flag >12x12. After seeing what I saw I'm wondering if I should just get one of those cheap styrofoam balls with a large flag on it so at least it stands taller and looks more like a basic marker than a target.

So frustrating today. Was truly worried I would surface next to the marker and get hit.

In general humans are idiots. I'd be tempted to rig mine to be touch sensitive to trigger an air horn. It'd probably work once or twice before more idiots would start to intentionally trigger it.

Well it took about 10 minutes to swap tanks out and get back to buoy so for 10 minutes yes although we were within about 150 feet of the buoy while gearing up and heading back out. I didn't mean we were sitting on shore grilling and drinking beers for an hour watching.

I have been forced to assume boaters are a hard ceiling and plan accordingly.

Unless we development a prop/impeller clogger spider web around the flag I will continue to expect it to be meaningless.

With 100 boats I assume at least one will violate the boundaries. I don't dive with those odds and won't trust a flag to keep me away from becoming chum.

Back on topic,hope you can report the incident and perhaps local authorities will better support our longevity as divers.

Regards,
Cameron

Well it took about 10 minutes to swap tanks out and get back to buoy so for 10 minutes yes although we were within about 150 feet of the buoy while gearing up and heading back out.

That puts you in violation of the dive flag law as well.

Michigan Legislature - Section 324.80155
The flag shall be in place only while actual diving operations are in progress.

Bob

I'm a proud member of The FTF club F#$% The Flag! I've got the cheapest one I could find and have it on my left shoulder with a BIG rubber loop, easy to ditch. I anchor it when I can; also have an SMB with a flag on it that I use sometimes. The flag is more of a target than a help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom